Blex, Vexing Pest: Searching for Florida Man

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Searching for Florida Man
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by TheGildedGoose 10 months ago, edited 9 times in total.

Tags:

victorsaur
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by victorsaur » 2 years ago

How does your deck fare against instant-speed combo lines and especially lines that do not rely on permanents to win (i.e., Thassa's Oracle)? It seems like most of your control spells are either sorcery speed or do not interact with non-permanent spells (i.e., demonic consultation).

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

I mean, probably not great, but such is the case with non-blue control decks. More instant speed interaction instead of board wipes are recommended in a higher power meta since you can lock in easy wins against aggro with isolation spells and effects like Constant Mists and Glacial Chasm.

If you consistently play against Consultation Oracle you'll probably just want to play Tasigur.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Thoughts on throwing in the Chain of Smog + Witherbloom Apprentice/Sedgemoor Witch combo? Or too cheesy?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Thoughts on throwing in the Chain of Smog + Witherbloom Apprentice/Sedgemoor Witch combo? Or too cheesy?
Personally, I try to avoid combos where the individual cards aren't themselves useful. I think these inclusions would make the deck win more games, but it makes the deck less fun for me because "oops, I drew my combo piece and tutored for the other" doesn't make for interesting games. I wanted to make an attrition heavy, recursive Golgari control deck that didn't rely on creatures.

Sefir
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sefir » 2 years ago

Seems a very fun deck and intriguing deck. I would probably try Squandered Resources and Gitrog Monster in there if I were you.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Dakkon Blackblade Miracles Control
Teneb, the Harvester Pestilence
Soul of Windgrace Loam Balance
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain

victorsaur

Post by victorsaur » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
I mean, probably not great, but such is the case with non-blue control decks. More instant speed interaction instead of board wipes are recommended in a higher power meta since you can lock in easy wins against aggro with isolation spells and effects like Constant Mists and Glacial Chasm.

If you consistently play against Consultation Oracle you'll probably just want to play Tasigur.
I am asking cause it seems like your deck is unbalanced (to me) and thus susceptible to instant speed combos. Cards like Imp's Mischief as possible additions come to mind.

Sefir
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sefir » 2 years ago

I was very inspired with the deck and build a similar version that focusses less on lands and more on putting stuff in the gy and do the Mass recursion + Skirge Familiar/Cadaverous Bloom= Massive Torment of Hailfire/Exsanguinate.
But what the deck really is, is a dredge deck. Dredge cards compliment the deck immersely. As many as possible. I obviously use discard outlets as well, like Tortured Existence and a bunch of Spellshapers that help mostly with Ramp.

I want to sincerely thank you TheGildedGoose for introducing me to Blex. I wanted to build a pure dredge deck for many years, but I hated the usual Gitrog comboy stuff and could not find the right way or even the right commander to do it. Having cute Blex in the command zone is a nice bonus and Search is amazing for filling the yard.... My list, which obviously is a variation of yours, is the one below.

Blex Dredge

Commander:

Approximate Total Cost:

Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Dakkon Blackblade Miracles Control
Teneb, the Harvester Pestilence
Soul of Windgrace Loam Balance
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach