Thrasios's Expedition - Quest For Arixmethes

Jace
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Decklist

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Jace 4 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

Jace

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thrasioss-expedition/

A change:
- Marit Lage's Slumber
+ Drawn From Dreams

Drawn From Dreams artistically matches the theme of this deck, is a strong draw card that can sift through high CMC sea monsters early game and select ramp cards instead. Its addition also evens out the numbers of cards in the deck, with a neat 10 enchantments, 12 sorceries and 8 instants. I prefer this well-rounded lineup.

Marit Lage's Slumber is a thrilling alternate method of summoning Marit Lage, and I will sideboard this card for possible re-entry into the deck. But for the time being, I'd prefer the traditional Dark Depths method, while eliminating the need to rely on Snow Lands (since I want this deck to have Theros Basic Lands) and I want to drop the enchantment count to an even 10.

Kemev
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kemev » 4 years ago

Is there a reason not to run a partner commander? Is it just thematic reasons?

Jace

Kemev wrote:
4 years ago
Is there a reason not to run a partner commander? Is it just thematic reasons?
Thematic reasons (I considered Kydele, since she is from Theros, but it didn't feel right) and I prefer having only one Commander leading a deck. Thrasios has proven sufficient as a general alone as well.

Jace

Updated to accommodate Theros Beyond Death cards. Sadly, this meant cutting Dark Depths. I am seeking ways to hopefully add that back in at some point. I would love to also play Medomai's Prophecy. But there are more on-theme cards that took priority.

Jace

Update:

- Tatyova, Benthic Druid
+ Medomai's Prophecy

Honestly, Tatyova is amazing and synergies exceptionally with my commander. But I feel she deserves her own dedicated deck, and comes down a bit too late to be a win-more card for me than a real investment. At 5 mana, I am often debating between her and a sea monster, in a dedicated sea monster deck. I'd sooner stick to the theme for the creature slots, and use her slot for a lower curve card that fixes. Scry is critical to this deck, and I really admire the modes of this saga, in addition to an excuse to play more Theros cards, especially Theros sagas. So I am slotting it in and dropping Tatyova, a clunky and late advantage engine that usually falls victim to my own Whelming Wave loop.

Besides, more enchantments means getting more use out of Shoal Kraken, which is among my favorite new krakens. Because reasons.

Jace

-1 Salvager of Secrets
-1 Engulf the Shore

+1 Sea-Dasher Octopus
+ 1 Ominous Seas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”