Marisi, Bully of Bullies

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

A combined arms package:
Changes 11/24/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Dragon Broodmother's triple Red became an issue again. I can't remember how many times exactly it's been an issue, but it is terrible of me to have triple Red when Red is the tertiary colour in this deck. She's very good, she's just requires too many hoops. Loxodon Warhammer is kind of a crap topdeck, so it is why I'm giving it the axe.

So, I'm cutting token makers, defence, life gain and Trample. Trostani and Ghired cover this between the two of them. They also cost less than the Broodmother and Warhammer's Mana and Equip cost. Trostani will give me something to do when I have open mana, plus she makes an excellent blocker with that big butt. Same with Ghired. By moving away from the swarm and going towards quality Creatures is what made me think of bringing back Trostani and my original build from a few years ago. Quality tokens also makes Ghired's Populate useful. They're both Green which helps with Force of Vigor fodder. With both being Legends, it does give my Captain Sisay more targets to fetch,

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Hrm. I somehow don't feel they'll work too well here. You don't have all that much token production for Trostani to latch onto, and Ghired's frankly quite laughable as an offensive force, to the point where I'm stuck running various combat survival trash to make him not just vanish. Admittedly things might be a bit different in a realm where everyone's goaded, so my ramblings may be invalid.

One day you'll put in Soltari Foot Soldier. Mark my words :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Hrm. I somehow don't feel they'll work too well here. You don't have all that much token production for Trostani to latch onto, and Ghired's frankly quite laughable as an offensive force, to the point where I'm stuck running various combat survival trash to make him not just vanish. Admittedly things might be a bit different in a realm where everyone's goaded, so my ramblings may be invalid.

One day you'll put in Soltari Foot Soldier. Mark my words :P
Yeah, Ghired was somehow an underwhelming attacking force.

As for a Soltari Foot Soldier inclusion... Not today:
Changes 12/05/19
Approximate Total Cost:

This is my 'Holy crap, I need to gain life' update. Players gun for me pretty quickly because they're afraid that soon they won't be able to, which to be fair, is fair. I've cut Serra Ascendant because it is great in a tempo deck which as the deck has been retooled to Midrange means there's less room for the Ascendant. The amount of times I've drawn him and he's functionally a 1/1 is too many. In his place goes another evasive Creature that will grow in size to be a threat and gain me life with Sunscorch Regent. His +1/+1s will go great with the Proliferate theme, his Flying will get Marisi Goads and he's a big dragon.

I didn't really have time to play Ghired out and let him cycle up. In his stead goes more of a lifegain man, though this is probably a better replacement for Trostani, Selesnya's Voice in the form of Verdant Sun's Avatar. Whenever I make Creatures though my various token making ways, I'll be gaining life and that adds up even if it is just pooping out 1/1s.

I'm not too concerned about sneaking in but more about living, Miren will help me with that and that's why I cut Rogue's Passage. Plus it's another Legend for Captain Sisay to tutor up.

Tevesh

Rumpy is so wise. Trostani gets axed.
Changes 12/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

With Kenrith's dissolution, I looked him over to see if my other decks could use his toys. The answer is yes. I wanted to put in Sylvan Library since it is a pretty broken piece of card draw. I looked over all of my card draw options and while I did think of axing Smuggler's Copter, I decided against that. Copter has evasion to get in for the goads and dodges a lot of removal by being a Vehicle. The next clunkiest to me was Garruk, who requires a bunch of hoops to jump through, such as having a Creature to draw cards and I'm able to cast him for his Triple Green. He goes for Sylvan.

The deck felt a little mana-light. I saw that I was running 37 lands instead of my usual 38 and with this being a midrange deck, it should be prepared to go higher on the curve. I know people love their 36 lands but I think that's a mistake as it allows for inconsistent draws at the start. I decided Trostani wasn't pulling her weight amongst all of my cards, especially since I've added three gain life sources which will help me turn sideways. I even thought of adding more lands, swapping out lands for more coloured sources, whether that would be Reflecting Pool or even Jungle Shrine. I don't want to cut into my Basics as it's a little Basic-light for what I want. I'm going to keep an eye on that. I've put in Yavimaya Hollow in as a way to keep the Kitty around; people just love popping him over and over again.

Tevesh

Fetchable Colours:
Changes 12/21/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Okina and Shinka can be fetched by Captain Sisay. I've had a few times where I had Sisay out and I would have liked to have found myself coloured sources; the other Legendary Lands don't colour fix. I didn't add any White source because the other Legendary White mana producing Lands are quite expensive and they would be cutting into my Plains count to trigger Emeria, the Sky Ruin. I am getting a little more nervous with my very slight Forest and Mountain count when it comes to Basic Fetches like Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Springbloom Druid, Sakura-Tribe Elder and Sword of the Animist.

Tevesh

Pushing the power up:
Changes 01/10/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Emeria Angel and her flying tokens were OK. I'm not too impressed with that, so while I do think that God-Eternal Oketra's Creature trigger is harder to pull off, I like her abilities more. She also brings a lot of inevitability with constantly coming back. Her Double strike will definitely pay off if she is wielding the Sword of Truth and Justice. I just look at my four drops and they're either my commander or a Ramp spell. The Angel couldn't compete at such an important slot, so I'm distributing my curve better.

Tevesh

A little rushed update:
Changes 01/24/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I made these rapid updates so the cuts are probably wrong but I rather have jammed the cards in and played than wasted everyone else's time finding the perfect cut.

Dryad in, Cultivate out. Dryad crews my Smuggler's Copter, carries Sword of the Animist, gets in for the Goad, turns all my Lands into Plains for Emeria, the Sky Ruin and that's all of the synergy before I even get to its core purpose of extra land drops.

Henge is Henge. Kodama's Reach is probably the wrong choice but again, I was going for speed in these cuts. It's also a Captain Sisay target.

Haktos has Protection, which means he gets in for the Goad, and I'm running Achilles! Cutting the life and draw of Shamanic Revelation is probably the most incorrect answer but again, speed out of courtesy. I can also toss him to Skullclamp in a pinch. He'll also dodge my Blasphemous Act. Another Sisay target.

Birds slapping my Planeswalkers has always been an issue; hopefully, Arasta will put an end to that with all of the Spider tokens she's going to make. Unfortunately, they don't die automatically to Skullclamp like the Dragonlair Spider's Insects but I think defending my Planeswalkers is worth the card draw loss potential. Arasta costing two less and two less of my tertiary colour is another big bonus in my eyes. And another one for Sisay.

I cut Gavony Township because I preferred having a Basic Forest for the various Ramp effects, but I was also tired seeing its colourless mana mess with my plans. I rather get my deck running so I can play Planeswalkers, protect them and use their Ultimates to Anthem the team over the incredibly costly Township

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

If I were to hazard a guess, the ramp trim will hurt you most in a ~4 average CMC deck. Also, any particular reason why you're running multiple flavours of land-based board gum but no Avenger of Zendikar? Seems like Avenger could make for a more versatile card than, say, that lifegain dino. Especially given your concern about your walkers (why are you running so many walkers in here anyway? :P).

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
If I were to hazard a guess, the ramp trim will hurt you most in a ~4 average CMC deck. Also, any particular reason why you're running multiple flavours of land-based board gum but no Avenger of Zendikar? Seems like Avenger could make for a more versatile card than, say, that lifegain dino. Especially given your concern about your walkers (why are you running so many walkers in here anyway? :P).
I'm not a fan of Avenger of Zendikar, I think it's overhyped. It gets enough play but isn't good enough to warrant a 'Duh, that's powerful' like Luminarch Ascension but it's solid enough for people to waste an answer. If I was going to go for more gumming up, I think I'd want to run Sandwurm Convergence. It protects me in the sky and adds inevitability.

I'm running Verdant Sun's Avatar to gain me life. I do tend to get knocked around a bit and so I need a few ways to gain life.

I have 19 Ramp cards, so I think I'll be OK with the removal of Kodama's Reach and Cultivate. After all, they both got replaced with other sources of Ramp, stuff that is probably more broken.

If anything, I'm noticing the deck needs more interaction. I'm not sure which form of Disenchant I want but I know I do want one more. With Green being in the lead, I could go with a Force of Vigor or take advantage of my low 5 CMC spot for Sylvan Reclamation as something for my Seasons Past to recur.

I also stumbled across a "Bears in Cars" decklist that had me laugh. Essentially, it was Hatebears with Vehicles. I might not be running the Hate but I know the deck really does like having Vehicles to dodge all of those Wraths. So, perhaps I should look into more token making and use Vehicles to get in. Heart of Kiran obeys the original 'Vigilance Matters' theme, I can power it by my Planeswalkers and it Flies in to Goad. Skysoverign, Consul Flagship Bolts stuff on ETB and swing plus it gets in with Flying. Untethered Express has a low Crew requirement, grows in size and can Trample in. If I go all-in on a Vehicle subtheme, then I might even want Peacewalker Colossus.

Tevesh

I think the concept is nonviable. Marisi would take a lot work to make smooth. I was looking at him through rose coloured classes, at all of the triumphs instead of how often he stalled out when things didn't go exactly as planned. I like the idea, I'm just going to be shelving him for the moment.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

And you never even tried Soltari Foot Soldier. Dammit :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 3 years ago

The kitty is back!

Sometimes it just takes a little distance to realize a deck's problems and go from there to make a solid idea. This is my first version back, which instead of stupid Planeswalkers I'm going with something more in-line with Marisi. I'm going to be playing egrious, kill-me-now cards and my opponents won't be able to hit me because they're Goaded.

I couldn't find my copy of Soltari Foot Soldier and I can't remember if it is in an order I made, but you bet I'm going to try the evasion build @Rumpy5897.

Haman

Post by Haman » 3 years ago

the problem with marisi has always been his high cc and misunderstood reputation, and opponents tends to remove him alot.
We could dedicate more slots to protect him, but its hard to build a well tuned evasive deck and have 6 mana to cast and save marisi.

Tevesh

We'll have to see. Adding the evasion suite:
I cut a lot of the expensive or non-synergistic pieces for Creatures that get in there or draw me cards. We'll have to see how this experiment goes.

Tevesh

If the whole point is to play egregious %$#% and you can't touch me, then I need to up my game:
Changes 12/11/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Voice of Many is solid, I'll probably draw lots off of it but I'm not trying to swarm the board. I'm trying to play evasive Creatures that will probably ruin my opponent's day. Nissa was heavy in our Meta for a hot minute but left because she was too difficult to defend to get her Ultimate off. Too difficult to defend? I guess that shouldn't be a problem with Marisi on the case, at least, in theory. At the very worst, she can be used to recur some other egregious card that's in the deck.

Skyshroud Claim got two Forests and competed with Marisi on the curve. I think Hour of Promise is going to do much better because it gets us two of anything.

I'm not too sure Impact Tremors does enough. Again, I'm not trying to swarm the board, so it isn't like I plop down an Avenger of Zendikar and laugh my way to the W. I rather protect my pieces and Boros Charm is a very versatile way to doing so.

Tevesh

Honing:
Changes 12/12/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I knew I needed Lifecrafter's Bestiary because I'm trying to go low-to-the-ground and want card draw; it Scrys which setups my Draws and it costs 3 for Sun Titan. I went down the list and Krenko was the least painful cut to make and I'll miss the 'lil hooligan. While he synergizes well with my end game, I need to make sure my early and mid game don't suffer.

Soul of the Harvest is a solid draw engine but I'm looking for one better and Henge came to mind. With the swarm of bodies, the +1/+1 counters really help.

I don't have time to Generate Terrain but I definitely do want more bodies, so Field of the Dead comes in.

Tevesh

Pre-empting my new direction:
Changes 12/20/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I know I'm not going to be going with the token-spew strategy, so Purph can probably safely come out for the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if he worms his way back in. Klothys gives me Ramp, reach and life gain - a lot of things that do cry out with 'Deal with Me'. Trading one God for another to lower my curve.

Savanah raises my Plains count for Emeria, the Sky Ruin.

Tevesh

Gotta lower that floor and have more draw:
Oketra's Monument didn't justify its existence - it neither Ramped nor made enough bodies to really help Marisi out. The rest were either slightly too costly Creatures or not good Evasive ones - they've been replaced by evasive Creatures with lower CMC. I've also cut a few 4 drops in exchange for more card draw. March of the Mutlitudes was a little painful to cut but I need a good solid base before I can really start tweaking this properly.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

The Law of Edric states that the cheaper you can get away with making your pokers, the better. If flying is enough to connect within your group then cool. I've got a guy in my group that's brewing Toski (pretty easy Kaldheim include for you too), and another form of one-drop evasion is landwalk. Don't think you're quite desperate enough to run one-drop deathtouchers and hope your foes won't take the unprofitable trades, but mono green's a bit desperate for evasive weenies :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
The Law of Edric states that the cheaper you can get away with making your pokers, the better. If flying is enough to connect within your group then cool. I've got a guy in my group that's brewing Toski (pretty easy Kaldheim include for you too), and another form of one-drop evasion is landwalk. Don't think you're quite desperate enough to run one-drop deathtouchers and hope your foes won't take the unprofitable trades, but mono green's a bit desperate for evasive weenies :P
Oh yeah, I'm all over that squirrel's nuts.

There's a few two drops I'd like to get but you're bringing up a good point over Landwalk evasion. Forests, Swamps and Islands are probably pretty easy to qualify for, which means I could even use the classic River Boa. I think Dryad Sophisticate probably punches above her weight in this deck. Unfortunately, a lot of these 10+ year old un/commons are hard to find in the time of Covid. Hell, I've even been eyeing Yellow Scarves Cavalry and that's been impossible to find.

Edit: With my Landwalk research, I immediately fell in love with Bayou Dragonfly - what a garbage card that this deck can abuse. Another fun contender is OG Mirri, Cat Warrior. The idiot brewer in me saw Magnigoth Treefolk and thought of adding Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to the deck to have all the Landwalks.

And yes, I am desperately trying to find a Soltari Foot Soldier.

Onto changes:
Changes 12/29/20
Approximate Total Cost:

There's plenty of Enchantments and Artifacts that get cast but barring particular match-ups, Sorceries and Instants are relatively rare. This makes Arasta pretty inconsistent. Sure, her token spew is valuable but Krenko's is more proven. Also, by pooping out 1/1 Goblins, they make for perfect Skullclamp fodder.

I was looking for a bit more draw and bit more life gain, so I'm trying out Courser. God-Eternal Oketra costs too much. I'm going for something like Marchesa where I need incredibly efficient bodies. Oketra asked for cast triggers and I couldn't really abuse her, getting out two or three cast triggers each turn.

While it is difficult to crackback the kitty, people tend to pull out all of the stops for cards like Luminarch Ascension or Nissa, Vital Force. If I was less of a greedy idiot, I would hold these until the right moment and pull way ahead. Unfortunately, there's a reason why part of my deckbuilding is engineering against my own stupidity. I've put in Iroas as a way to give my dudes more Evasion, not care about being blocked so I can be more aggressive and Iroas is a Creature sometimes for turning sideways. Guardian Project is just solid draw, especially since the deck consistently casts one or two Creatures a turn - making sure I'm always replacing my critters.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Keep in mind that you cut two-drop shadow guys. Pokers are for poking, it's not like Bayou Dragonfly gives you some major defensive presence over Soltari Trooper. But there are some landwalkers at one, which is what I was pointing towards for poking efficiency. Not exactly a lot of options, but a few potential one-drops to stick in there if they're meta-appropriate and you've got swamps/forests/mountains running around.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Focusing on the fact this is an aggro deck:
Changes 01/13/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Pir's Whim and Smothering Tithe are staple Ramp spells but I'm not playing at midrange, I'm going full aggro. With that in mind, I put in Feline Sovereign to give me more ways to blow up Artifacts or Enchantments with Marisi. Heartwood Storyteller is to draw me more cards; I won't be looking as threatening as other players trying some nefarious with a full grip.

As much as I love the "lose the game" text on Angel of Destiny, it didn't help me close the game but I took a lot of early poke. People would live past an attack or two which is kind of useless. In comes Ghalta as another way to close out the game; especially since I think he'll be relatively cheap. Most decks would have a fatty power him out, in this, the power is a bit more spread out.

The amount of times people would say "Well, I won't be able to hit Tevesh in the future so I guess I'll attack him now" seems to always infuriatingly put me at 29 life. This means that Serra Ascendant needs to come down Turn 1 or 2; afterwards, it loses a lot of effectiveness. There's been plenty of times it has sat in my hand as a 1/1 do nothing so I've decided to up my draw with the Looter Scooter's filtering.

I only used Boros Charm for its Indestructability modal option, so out it comes for a free Indestructible effect which is great with Wraths really hampering this deck.

Plateau comes in for more Emeria, the Sky Ruin goodness, even if it makes my Tiana, Ship's Caretaker deck jealous.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”