Marisi, Bully of Bullies

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

The deck idea started as a pseudo-meme where I said that Vigilance is the best keyword and everybody gave me %$#% for it. Gahiji was put in the chair as incentive for my opponents to attack each other, they'd get +2/+0 and I would be left alone. I would then use tappers who could also swing because they're Vigilant; unfortunately, all of the good Tap abilities are not in Naya. My next brainwave became Planeswalkers, as they would be left alone behind my defence and incentive to attack others. Unfortunately, that didn't work as flyers would go over my bodies and kill my Planeswalkers. I was about to tear the deck apart as it had failed but then Marisi was spoiled.

Well, well, well... If my opponents are all Goaded, then I guess my Planeswalkers are able to grow in power. I threw the Beast away and put the Cat in the Chair. He'll help me bully players who are trying to kill my Superfriends. The Superfriends angle didn't work out that well, so I'm trying evasive Creatures to constantly Goad my opponents so they can't kill me for playing egrious cardboards.
Kitty

Commander - 1

Planeswalker - 1

Basic Lands - 15

Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 01/13/21
Show
Hide
Changes 01/13/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Show
Hide
Changes 12/29/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/29/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/22/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/20/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/20/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/12/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/12/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/11/20
Show
Hide
Changes 12/11/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/01/20
Show
Hide
Changes 11/22/20
Show
Hide
Brought the deck back!
Changes 01/24/20
Show
Hide
Changes 01/24/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 01/10/20
Show
Hide
Changes 01/10/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Show
Hide
Changes 12/21/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/21/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/10/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/05/19
Show
Hide
Changes 12/05/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/24/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/24/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/22/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/22/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/20/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/20/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/16/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/16/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/14/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/14/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/11/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/11/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/08/19
Show
Hide
Changes 11/08/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 09/12/19
Show
Hide
Changes 09/12/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 09/10/19
Show
Hide
Changes 09/03/19
Show
Hide
Changes 09/03/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 08/30/19
Show
Hide
Changes 08/30/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 08/27/19
Show
Hide
Changes 08/27/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 07/09/19
Show
Hide
Changes 07/09/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 07/08/19
Show
Hide
Changes 07/08/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 05/12/19
Show
Hide
Changes 05/08/19
Show
Hide
Changes 05/08/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 04/05/19
Show
Hide
Changes 04/05/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/27/19
Show
Hide
Changes 03/27/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/26/19
Show
Hide
Changes 03/26/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/17/19
Show
Hide
Changes 03/15/19
Show
Hide
Changes 03/12/19
Show
Hide
Changes 03/12/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/10/19
Show
Hide
Changes 03/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/07/19
Show
Hide
Changes 03/07/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tevesh 3 years ago, edited 64 times in total.

Tevesh

From Sally's demise to now:
Changes 07/08/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Lapse of Certainty is an actual Counterspell which gives it flexibility over Inspiring Call's counter of Destroy effects.

Overwhelming Stampede and Vicious Shadows have been added as 'I Win' buttons; Nissa and Nahiri weren't pulling their weight.
Last edited by Tevesh 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tevesh

Forgot this update:
Changes 07/09/19
Approximate Total Cost:

I am saddened by the loss of Kazuul; he's so cool but he's frequently a card that gets cut. And what a cut! A deck with a +1/+1 and Planeswalker theme? Let's sign up for some Truth and Justice!

xeroxedfool
Pronoun: he / him

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

I like the concept of the deck. Its pretty cool. I think Ghaiji is better but Johan is funnier.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Tevesh

xeroxedfool wrote:
4 years ago
I like the concept of the deck. Its pretty cool. I think Ghaiji is better but Johan is funnier.
Funnily enough, after I built this deck and people saw the potential a friend built Johan with what we call 'Downvote Tribal' due to the mark on Johan's forehead. I'm a little conflicted because I like Gahiji's triggered ability to cause others to attack each other, but I think I need more Flying/Reach to protect my Planeswalkers.

Another card I've been toying with in the vein of a pseudo-Vigilance theme is Curse of Bounty. It would help me untap; unfortunately, it will do the same for others. I guess the idea is if provoking people into attacking each other while I reap the +2/+0 benefits.

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

Curse of Bounty fits the theme well, but it could backfire potentially. Taking from your signature you list this deck as tier 3. I guess if your opponents are in the same category the free Dramatic Reversal wouldn't be too terrible. I know I would attack the guy who has the curse.

As a general input/suggestion, I think the Huatlis and Garruk are kinda weak.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Nice direction for the list, and nice to see you on here. I remember I flirted with Gahiji a little at a few points, largely ended up with stereotypical go-wide tokens. More bodies = more +2/+0 triggers. You could consider working in Crown of Doom, seems like it'd be compatible with the political side of the commander? Might be too crap to deserve a slot.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

I was getting close to tearing Gahiji apart as the theme wasn't working and then Marisi came in to save the day.
I took out the Vigilance givers except Reconnaissance and Loyal Unicorn because those are both bonkers.

I added Creatures that make Creatures so that I can swarm the board and get in with Goad triggers. Thalia and the Sunwing are to make getting in easier. I have a soft spot for Herald of the Host so I included her as well.

I added two Planeswalkers as draw sources and to increase leaning in on the theme.

Kher Keep used to make 2/1s with Gahiji's trigger, 0/1s when I'm trying to do damage is less impressive and so Command Tower goes in to colour fix.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Another angle that would work decent with Marisi is little unblockable dudes that can slide in and proc the goad, opening up the way for the rest of your board later. Shadow's particularly nice here (horsemanship is a bit lacking, especially in Naya) - Soltari Foot Soldier because running 1/1s for 1 is the bomb in EDH, Soltari Champion and Soltari Visionary as they actually don't suck. This is about as much as I can chip in with - I offered this quick take on the commander to my group, who forbade me from pursuing it for some reason :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Another angle that would work decent with Marisi is little unblockable dudes that can slide in and proc the goad, opening up the way for the rest of your board later. Shadow's particularly nice here (horsemanship is a bit lacking, especially in Naya) - Soltari Foot Soldier because running 1/1s for 1 is the bomb in EDH, Soltari Champion and Soltari Visionary as they actually don't suck. This is about as much as I can chip in with - I offered this quick take on the commander to my group, who forbade me from pursuing it for some reason :P
I'm probably going to have to use Soltari Visionary, just for the removal but I do like the anthem on the Champion.

Onto changes:
Changes 08/27/19
Approximate Total Cost:

The deck doesn't really do much outside of its turn, so Seedborn Muse gets axed for some hilarious good times had by all. By the time it gets back to my turn, my guys will be huge and my opponents have also been busy hitting each other hard.

Tevesh

In theory, Crescendo would be funny. In practice, I get my face punched in my flyers who hit far harder than they should:
Changes 08/30/19
Approximate Total Cost:

If the deck revolves around making sure nobody can hit me or my Planeswalkers, then Luminarch is probably pretty good. Crescendo was an immediate, obvious cut.

I love Herald of the Host; however, it's spin up time might be too much. Dragonmaster gives me a lot of bodies without strings.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

You've done it, you've found one of the few decks where Luminarch Ascension makes sense as an include :P Good changes overall, gotta trim that curve down always and forever.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
You've done it, you've found one of the few decks where Luminarch Ascension makes sense as an include :P Good changes overall, gotta trim that curve down always and forever.
Sometimes my deckbuilding skills impress myself.

Tevesh

Shaping up the theme:
Changes 09/03/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Runic Armasaur is fairly unpredictable; some games he'll draw lots of cards, others he'll just be a big butt. I've put in Vivien Reid as she fits the theme of the deck. Her minus can be used to protect my Planeswalkers or myself from Artifacts and Enchantments. Her plus is draw, the question is if it is the guaranteed selections better than the questionable but steady Armasaur. She also has an Emblem which I can work towards by Proliferating.

Tevesh

Big update:
The best defence is making sure all of my opponents are Goaded. Sandwurm Convergence stops flyers from hitting me and creates 5/5s. I prefer Siege Behemoth's ability to ensure my Creatures will get in and will Goad. Having Hexproof is also desirable in making sure that happens.

I like Artisan's draw, but she doesn't have an absurd Ultimate which this deck is trying to do: defend my Planeswalkers through Goads. Torch of Defiance doesn't let me play lands, but I guess I'll forgive that with her mana ability or Shock if I don't play the card. Torch's minus is unlikely, but it is spot removal. If I do get her Ult off, then I have one hell of a Clock.

Selvala drew my opponents cards and while I liked the Ramp, I did not like symmetrical draw. In her place is Key, a draw piece that will help me get in to Goad.

The deck wasn't interested any more in stealing someone's board for the kill; I just need to Goad and stick my Planeswalkers. Mob Rule became less important and Oketra's Monument filled the slot nicely. It comes down early, reduces the cost of many of my Creatures and makes 1/1s that can swing or protect Planeswalkers as needed.

Mikokoro's symmetrical draw was also no longer impressive. I put Rogue's Passage in its place to make sure I can get in to Goad.

Tevesh

Pushing aggro more:
Changes 09/12/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Reconnaissance is great at making sure my Creatures survived but the problem was if they couldn't get in, there wasn't much to stop my opponent from attack me or my superfriends. Iroas goes in as another non-Creature piece but he might become a Creature if I happen to have a lot of pips on the board. Blocking is now going to be harder and players are going to have to ask themselves if it is worth blocking one of my Creatures so their's dies while mine does not.

I did like the trickle of draw Lifecrafter's Bestiary offered; however, I need more bodies to get in and Goad. Warleader comes in to offer that. I do like the 1/1s for the Skullclamp, their lifelink to have some residual life gain and the Warleader is bulky enough to outweight most mid-game Creatures.

As a bonus, both of these also reduce off of Oketra's Monument.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Ah, so you're exploring a bit of attack swarm? Not a shabby direction to take this in either. Skyknight Vanguard would like a word with you.

Soltari Foot Soldier is sad :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Ah, so you're exploring a bit of attack swarm? Not a shabby direction to take this in either. Skyknight Vanguard would like a word with you.

Soltari Foot Soldier is sad :P
Yeah, and exploration is over. I was getting pretty frustrated with the deck, it was being torn in two directions. I wanted to play Aggro to get the Goads and I wanted to play Control to Ult my Planeswalkers. The answer was staring me right in the face: go midrange. In an earlier build, the Skynight Vanguard might have been an amazing include, but now I want beefier mans.

Here are the changes:
I added more Ramp to be able to play my bigger guys; the inclusion of Ramp naturally pushed me towards a Landfall theme. Springbloom Druid and Ranger's Path upped that ante, Realm Seekers helped me to constantly find me lands to drop and Omnath, Emeria Angel and Avenger were there to trigger of of Land Drops. Retreat to Emeria can help me with bodies to Goad or anthem the team to finish off the last straggler.

With these changes, I knew I needed to cut the swarm and added more 'armies in a can' in the form of Dragonlair Spider and Silverwing Squadron. This meant I could cut all of the swarmy and swarm support guys. Unfortunately, this meant that Siege Behemoth got the axe.

I cut Huatli because while she gives me life, there wasn't a massive payoff for an Ult unlike every other Planeswalker. Making Creatures unable to block wasn't that attractive. In her place, Blind Obedience goes with an unconditional way to make blocking difficult and Extort is a way to give me reach with life gain too. Shamanic Revelation replaced Garruk, as I want to draw from all of these bodies I'm now theoretically going to generate due to armies in a can. Shamanic could also gain me life, replacing another function of Huatli.

So far, I've been happy with the changes but I'm thinking that I'm regretting cutting Garruk. He draws off of Power and I cut him before due to suboptimal draw on my dork swarm. Now that I'm ramping harder into bigger bodies, his minus might actually draw me lots. Hell, now that I got big guys, Boros Huatli's plus might be worth reconsidering to stave off crackbacks.

Tevesh

Low opportunity cost for added Ramp:
Changes 11/08/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Tevesh

Uprade? We'll see:
Changes 11/11/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Baloths get powered out easier by Castle Garenbrig. Considering the Landfall theme, a 4/4 seems like a better trade than Retreat to Emeria's 1/1 Kors. Baloths' Trample means they're more likely to get in for the Goad or Sword of Truth and Justice. Costs two more but I think it'll be worthwhile.

Beast Whisperer requires cast for the draw and considering how many tokens the deck creates, I'm leaving a lot of cards on the table. Greater Good can transform a lot of these big guys into 'free' draw, as the deck does feel light there. Being able to sac Omnath, Locus of Rage's tokens on demand also give me Bolts to dish out.

Tevesh

Curve shaving:
Changes 11/14/19
Approximate Total Cost:

One of the problems the deck has is so much conditional draw. What if I don't need whatever my Planeswalkers can draw, such as a Wrath to stop the deck from being overrun by a faster, tempo deck? Primal Hunter comes back in, especially since I've added so many Creatures that are fairly tall and could result in tons of cards. He also makes Bodies which can be nice and his Ultimate is worth building up to, which the deck does want to do. Caller of Beasts leaves because of the unconditional draw and six mana cost.

Oketra Monument's was my most defensive token maker, but considering how many of these Creatures aren't made from Casts, the free Warrior wasn't really pulling its weight. If it is supposed to give me defence, then the Monument was failing if I got ran over by a faster deck. The one cost reduction on my Commander was nice but not always necessary, same with the other White Creatures the deck has, which isn't as many since I've discarded the original Aggro Plan for Midrange. Midrange needs those Wraths and Blasphemous Act is one that leaves my Planeswalkers alone for a moment or three.

Tevesh

More Wraths are more good:
Changes 11/16/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Marisi is full blown Midrange, so instead of trying to be clever like a Control deck with a small Swords, I added another Wrath. This deck also Goads, so I hear forcing someone to attack with their board and lose it might be awesome. This is an increase in my curve, but my next change justifies it, I think.

Force of Vigor is free! That's quite the reason to play it, even if it does not Exile like Crush Contraband. I'm going to tap out at awkward times, whether that is from a Wrath, playing a Planeswalker or trying to put a big man on the board. Seeing the light go out in their eyes when they realize that they can't combo off and instead have two dead Artifacts and/or Enchantments will make this kitty purr.

Tevesh

One low opportunity cost change and one because I'm having fun:
Changes 11/20/19
Approximate Total Cost:

I think Avenger of Zendikar is just lazy and overrated. Sure, if I combined with a Craterhoof Behemoth, it would be the bee's knees but that's not what this deck is trying to do. It's Landfall as a way to get taller is less interesting to a deck that's trying to get in Goads. Parhelion II is an Angel-powered Dropship; hell yeah, I'm down. As for actual, real justifications... Parhelion II is not a Creature, so it dodges some Wraths; when the board does get wiped I don't lose tempo as newly summoned Creatures can be used to Crew; Parhelion makes two attacking Angels, and going wide is what a Goad deck wants; the Angels fly, making said Goading more likely; the Vigilance with Flying means they're good blockers to protect my Planeswalkers; the Angels have enough Power to break parity with Greater Good and are large enough to gain life off of Shamanic Revelation; and hell, one of these Angels can get in the Parhelion II to have a 5/5 Flying First Strike blocker. At least, these are all of the theories, I'll have to play to see if that's the case.

Sometimes I would like to give Haste to a Creature and Flamekin Village is a lower opportunity cost way to doing so.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Ayy, Flying Anvil. It should serve you okay here, for the reasons you've outlined. I've only ever gotten along with Hall of the Bandit Lord in terms of haste lands, as it's the least tempo lost, but it also comes with the whole life-paying angle and ridiculous Kamigawa scarcity overhead.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Ayy, Flying Anvil. It should serve you okay here, for the reasons you've outlined. I've only ever gotten along with Hall of the Bandit Lord in terms of haste lands, as it's the least tempo lost, but it also comes with the whole life-paying angle and ridiculous Kamigawa scarcity overhead.
Yeah, I only own one and it's still stupidly priced so I'm not too keen on buying any more.
Changes 11/22/19
Approximate Total Cost:

For some reason, people don't like making me Goad them so they sure do try to hit me before I make them unable to hit me. I need life gain and Loxodon Warhammer seems like a good candidate. It can be slapped onto any of my Creatures, giving me Lifelink and then the Trample means I can probably get in for the Goads. Key costed me mana to draw otherwise it was just a card sink and I don't have enough card advantage for that, it's also not like I'm trying to Voltron so Key was a mixed bag in the deck.

By the time the Frostfang got into play, it was either a winmore or a really overcosted blocker. I rather have Smuggler's Copter. It dodges Wraths just like Parhelion II, can be crewed by any of my Creatures, smooths my draws over in the early game and flies in late game to Goad. I know I'm cutting two sources of card draw but this update is to find ways to curb aggression, someone will be open for my Copter to get in and Goad them into not punching my face in. Once that starts, other players keep blockers up otherwise the Goaded Creatures hit them.

Urza's Ruinous Blast was put in to protect my Planeswalkers. Unfortunately, it has too many restrictions for me to work with. If I don't have a board, Blast is a terrible topdeck. I might be opposed by other Legendary problems, so Blast still does nothing. I'm trying out Martial Coup to blow up the board, give me blockers to protect my Planeswalkers, bodies to Crew my Vehicles and I can always swarm for game or Goads.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”