Ikra and Tymna, Woke Women

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

GloriousGoose wrote:
4 years ago
How do you most often find yourself winning games? My biggest frustration about Abzan is that outside of boring combos, big X spells, and dumb bombs, winning games can be difficult. Do you just grind people out and slowly beat them to death with your value critters?
Most of my wins have been off of a Vizkopa Guildmage, gaining tons of life then shooting the table with Aetherflux Reservoir or off a big Exsanguinate. The deck's been currently on a long losing streak, so there's something that's not just working out.

I do want to make changes to the deck, it's in an awkward spot right now. It is midrange but not in a helpful way. It has more value than aggro but less than value decks, it has more aggro than value but less than aggro. Classic midrange but I'm finding myself outgunned instead of taking advantage of my combined arms approach.

Tevesh

Adding more 'bodies in a can':
Changes 04/17/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I underestimated how much I would miss Dragonlord Dromoka but I also rather have a small body that can come under Tymna and swing for draw, so in goes Abolisher.

Sisay locks me in at one draw per turn, Krav doesn't and he gets very big which can pay off with Ikra. Plus he cantrips Regna at the very least and she'll pay off the life gain which the deck does have a fair bit of.

With the push towards more aggro, Seedborn Muse started to make less sense and more of a winmore so out she goes.

Tevesh

Pushing the aggro envelope:
Changes 04/18/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I realized that by futzing around with my Lands, I'm giving up the opportunity that Tymna presents: get in for cards. I realized I needed bulkier bodies and more lifegain to offset Tymna's trigger as well as sate Regna's. With that in mind, I cut the Reclaimer for Dross Harvester. It has been pretty impressive in Marchesa before I moved to a more aggressive build; the Pro White will randomly be relevant and makes him Pro Abzan with Sword of Fancy Feast.

I also realized that it has been awhile since Aetherflux had won me a game, it's a vestigial card from when the deck was more life gain centric. Yes, I understand I'm adding life gain now but I'm trying to leverage my two Commander's abilities. With my desire for life gain, bulky Creatures and tokens, the Leonin Warleader felt like a natural fit with his Lifelink Cat tokens.

Tevesh

Engineering against my greed:
Changes 04/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I have Tymna to draw me all of the cards, I should be attacking with as many bodies as possible at all times to draw them. Nissa's great but she makes me sit back, so she makes me do stupid, greedy lines. Out she goes because even if I know a line is greedy, I know I can't help myself but do it. With her absence comes Mindblade Render, who can come down before Tymna to help me draw. She triggers off of other Warriors, which will randomly happen with all of the Creature types out there, but I have my own Warrior makers with Regna, the Redeemer and God-Eternal Oketra.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I love the thread name, you've got some good ones under your belt.

It might be a meta thing, but I never really got Mindblade Render. Are your group's tables open for pokes with this sort of stuff?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I love the thread name, you've got some good ones under your belt.

It might be a meta thing, but I never really got Mindblade Render. Are your group's tables open for pokes with this sort of stuff?
Thanks! I'm probably most proud of Ursine Auto-Shop, even if I've moved away from Bears in Cars.

The meta is kind of shifting away from that; people need to put down some kind of early body to stop becoming easy farm for Anime Sword, Curse of Opulence or opposing Tymnas. What makes the Render work is that a lot of the time when multiple Creatures are attacking, like 3/3 Saprolings or 3/3 Beasts or 4/4 Warrior Zombies or whatnot, people are going to let that one damage poke in. Sure, in a duel, they might block the draw aspect because it has the potential to do more damage than just some Beasts. But in a multiplayer environment? You don't want to start bleeding or the sharks might go into a feeding frenzy. So, you block the big damage and take a little poke; that's where I draw. Plus there's a lot of random Warriors out there to draw off of, especially with MH1 injecting a new batch of Changelings.

Tevesh

Shifting strategies call for shifting perspectives:
Changes 04/21/20
Approximate Total Cost:

The deck no longer gears up one individual Creature; instead, I'm spreading my damage about by adding token makers. With the damage distribution being less tall and more wide, I'm looking for ways to capitalize on that. Nature's Will is an untapper that will take advantage of my go-wide strategy far more than Feast and Famine. I also think the tap down will be more effective than single discard from the Sword. While my average CMC is going up, my practical is going down: I no longer need to spend mana to Equip, Will is fire and forget. It'll be nice when someone tries to stop me with removal and it doesn't matter because any hit triggers Nature's Will.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I can't stop thinking about Mindblade Render, and just generally connecting with your relatively small'ish creatures. You want to have the potential to clock multiple people for Tymna draws, from what I remember of fielding her myself. Maybe partnering her up with Sidar Kondo could be beneficial? You wouldn't even change colour identity.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I can't stop thinking about Mindblade Render, and just generally connecting with your relatively small'ish creatures. You want to have the potential to clock multiple people for Tymna draws, from what I remember of fielding her myself. Maybe partnering her up with Sidar Kondo could be beneficial? You wouldn't even change colour identity.
That would make the deck completely different; I should probably put more cards in that benefit off of life gain. One of the cards that I've been toying with for this deck is Commander's Insignia. It beefs up my board that spreads across all the bodies; hell, Tymna will be able to get in and I'd go life positive after her draw trigger.

Tevesh

More diffusion of abilities:
Changes 04/23/20
Approximate Total Cost:

At first, I scoffed at Beanstalk Giant but I tried it out because of other players swearing by him. Yeah, he's much better than I thought but with the direction of focused aggression, the deck cannot take time off with a powerful value piece. He comes out for Uncle Fester who I think I'll be able to leverage more out of the life gain triggers I've spread throughout the deck.

Teysa, on face value, is incredibly good but out of my last session someone mentioned "Well, I have to get rid of Sheoldred, Whispering One" and that made me realize that's a good yardstick. How often does someone must answer Teysa? Not often, especially if you have no intention of winning with conventional sending of dudes into the red zone. Out she goes for Sun Titan who should help me put into play all sorts of permanents into play. The floor is ramping by returning lands and some of those lands also ramp me. Other silly permanents should count towards the Titan's return restrictions.

Lastly, as I'm moving away from a value deck and more towards aggression, it made sense to axe Mirari's Wake. Sure, the anthem is nice but I'm not paying off double mana. Instead, I'm putting in Grim Feast which should keep me alive while also feeding me all sorts of life gain triggers that I can take advantage of. Mostly I picked this because Grim Feast is a 3 CMC and therefore targetable by Sun Titan's return trigger.

Tevesh

More push towards the diffuse aggro strategy:
Changes
Approximate Total Cost:

I realized as I phased out the midrange components, I didn't need the land untaps as much, so both of them got the axe. In their stead comes an Enchantment that pumps my entire board, scaling off of how often my Commanders get removed which is pretty frequent. Kalitas comes in as a way to make more bodies, gain me life and he can get scary big.

I don't need to protect my pieces as much anymore, so Yavimaya Hollow got axed so that it may return to Kenrith.

Tevesh

Honing the strategy:
Changes 05/06/20
Approximate Total Cost:

The deck is moving towards a tempo deck that takes advantage of life gain. With that, I realized that I shouldn't be the one Wrathing but my opponents should be. I decided to cut Toxic Deluge for a card that will increase my deck's tempo based off of how many Islands are in play.

Dawn Charm is fine but I'm looking for more ways to protect my board. While I'm going for a bodies-in-a-can approach, my individual body count is relatively small. This means that I need to make sure that my guys can survive and be re-used. Technology I learned from my Edgar Markov deck is Scapegoat; since I make so many tokens, I can Sacrifice those to Scapegoat and bounce the more key pieces, readying to flood the board again.

Tevesh

Further push towards tempo-life gain:
Changes 05/07/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Arasta is great but she doesn't make that many Spiders. I don't know if this is a case of my opponents playing around her or if they just didn't have Instant and Sorceries. She's good but she has a higher floor than what an aggro deck can ask. I liked the Spiders for their bigger butts for Ikra and Reach for defence but I shouldn't be so defensive minded, I should be making my opponents that. So, Hero of Bladehold comes in with a guaranteed way of making bodies and her Battle Cry is another way for me to speed up the clock.

I've liked the direction the deck has been going but I'm still noticing vestigial cards for when I tried to go big mana. Exsanguinate is such a piece. I originally scoffed at the idea of more draw, as I have Tymna, but I've found that I run through my resources faster than I thought in addition to the amount of hate Tymna gets. With the axing of Arasta's spiders and the inclusion of yet another source of X/1s, Skullclamp felt like a natural inclusion. As I'm playing aggro, any and all mana shaving is welcome; while it looks like I'm only losing 1 CMC the reality is that Exsanguinate is a card that costs substantially more on the stack.

I am a little worried that I'm just building yet another Marchesa-style aggro deck but right now I think that's more of a requirement for aggro to be successful in EDH than another way around.

Tevesh

Painful cuts for the sake of tempo-lifegain:
I never thought I would say 'Oracle of Mul Daya isn't doing enough' but here we are. I want Creatures that can turn sideways and get in for Tymna's draw; as I'm slimming my curve the need for Ramp isn't as needed. Evasive life gain tempo aggro, you said? That's Serra Ascendant written all over it so he's back.

Since I'm going to be putting down early pressure, I won't be doing the traditional G/X strategy of flooding the table with lands. Wood Elves looks a lot less impressive in that case while Knight of the White Orchid looks solid. At least, I hope.

I am not a fan of Kataki. I find that he can be unfun but considering I'm going with a terrible strategy, I need Creatures that will get pump the breaks on midgame mana rock-a-thons. He'll also put a stop to the Smothering Tithe shenanigans that happens in the meta, either as people clone, copy or steal one of the best Ramp spells in the game. With Kataki taking a cut out of my opponent's Ramp, I figured I could do without the relatively basic Ramp. Pir's Whim and Hour of Promise fetch me important lands I need, such as a Emeria, the Sky Ruin, Shizo, Death's Storehouse or any other colour fixing.

Twilight Prophet does draw me cards, gains me life and lowers my opponent's life totals but she was feeling a bit lacklustre. I think the reason why is that she only does this once, during my upkeep. My lessons from Marchesa is that to make Aggro work you need to avoid linear paths, exponential is the name of the game. It also didn't help that as I made the deck more Lifegain Aggro Tempo, the average CMC plummeted which then kept making the Twilight Prophet look worse and worse. Looking at the Prophet is what inspired me to put Serra Ascendant back, though he doesn't bring card draw and that's what the deck needs. With that in mind, I scoured for ways to add draw to an aggro deck and slapped my forehead when I saw Ohran Frostfang. He turns my little men into dangerous Deathtouch or draw, I really like that.

With my deck going more diffuse in its application, I've decided to bring back two lands that did work for me before. Gavony Township and Vault of the Archangel; Township for the permanent pump to the team, Vault for Deathtouch and I won't scoff at the lifegain either. Looking for cuts was easier than I originally suspected, With the push for a diffuse Aggro strategy, I no longer needed to make sure a particular Creature got in and so Rogue's Passage was axed. I didn't need to abuse Ramp, so Blighted Woodland got the axe.

With the cut of Blighted Woodland, I realized that mana ramp lands aren't that important. I was also light on wincons or other cards that wear 'Deal with It' sunglasses. I combined those two missing pieces with Westvale Abbey. There are times when I'm baiting for a Wrath to play Heroic Intervention or another way to ruin my opponents lives forever; Ormendahl, Profane Prince is another way to do so and fits the bill of a Wincon. He's also relatively mana efficient at 'six mana', it's just the bodies that are the costly requirement and this deck has moved towards the 'spew bodies from every orifice' so I think I'll be safe in that regard.

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 3 years ago

This is an aggro deck, I need to be pushing the tempo:
Changes 05/11/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Arasta left a few changes ago because she was more difficult to produce bodies and butts than Hero of Bladehold; however, her potential ceiling is much higher than Angel of Finality's and so, welcome back. Angel might have evasion and a built-in Bog but solutions are for control decks, we're here to threaten. The bodies and butts are for Tymna and Ikra's triggers which Arasta's spider babies more than make up for plus Reach means that Arasta blocks better than Angel when it comes to flying threats.

There are times when I have my spidey senses tingling, knowing to keep mana open to counter something important. I'm right enough that I remember that I'm right enough most of the time. The issue is that Lapse doesn't suit the deck's style or actually solve the problem. The amount of times I've Lapsed something, only to have my opponent cast a draw spell and then cast it again, or worse, have an opponent coordinate with a Geier Reach Sanitarium or Mikokoro, Center of the Sea has been more than zero. The other option is they cast something I can't handle and it's uncounterable, whether it's Niv-Mizzet, Parun or a very large Kicked Molten Disaster. Having my opponents be unable to cast for that turn probably solves my problem; a lot of the time they cast something that stops me from winning or causes me to lose, hence why I was originally fine with a Tempo Counter like Lapse. With Silence, I can make sure it gets back to my turn by hushing them during their Upkeep.

Tevesh

I'm surprised Tithe was made redundant but at least I know my deck is getting more original as I shuck staples:
Changes 05/16/20
Approximate Total Cost:

The funny thing about running a Kataki, War's Wage for opposing Tithes is that he also hits your own. I also don't really have much to do with 'big mana' anymore so I didn't want tons of Treasures. I didn't fully cut a Ramp piece as Oketra's Monument is going to save me mana here and there. The Monument is a card that enters and leaves this type of build but I feel good with how the deck is evolving, adding every single 'bodies-in-a-can' that doesn't feel like yet another Avenger+Hoof. The Vigilance mean they can attack or block as needed, getting me Tymna the Weaver triggers but their 1/1 stature makes them excellent Skullclamp fodder. I do also like that its 3 CMC means there's another target for Sun Titan. Perhaps even being a Warrior might come up, triggering a Mindblade Render.

Tevesh

Pushing pro-activity:
Changes 05/23/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Voice of Many is great in Jarad but falls flat in this deck; I think it's because Jarad runs mana dorks who can run out this guy to Harmonize. My Creatures are much more purpose built than being general categories; I run cards for their singular threatening value instead of running a card to fulfill a particular slot. With Voice falling flat, I tried to think of what card advantage I could run and figured why not try out Stoneforge? She can grab me two pieces of Equipment already in the deck and a third I'm adding now. She's White for the cost reduction of Oketra's Monument, she's under 3 CMC for Sun Titan and she comes down before Tymna and potentially begins my draw chain. Between Skullclamp and Sword of the Animist, I've got my Ramp and Draw covered with her.

Scapegoat is a good reactive card but this deck needs to keep pushing forward. Effectively, I've got to keep expanding my board until I'm answered but I've accrued enough value that it doesn't matter. Scapegoat doesn't quite help with that. In its stead comes Conqueror's Flail, which combined with Grand Abolisher, makes for more ways to keep my combat phase not being messed with. Having people being unable to react is what lets me setup my Vizkopa Guildmage wins; activating her 2nd ability repeatedly so my opponents suddenly lose too much life off of all of the life gain I've got. Flail also gets the Creature large, whether that's for Tymna to suddenly have meaningful P/T or big butts to gain life with Ikra.

Tevesh

Relatively low opportunity cost to increase Aggro:
Changes 05/25/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Field will quickly make me tons of tokens I can just keep spewing out as the game continues, especially since I have a few ways to tutor it up or reliably put Basics into play. I decided to cut Terrain Generator because as an Aggro deck, I don't have time to generate the value of more Basics into play. A suite of Snow Basics come in to help trigger the Field.

Bojuka Bog gets axed as it ETBT and Answers are for Control. I need to reliably hit my curve, especially since I'm trying to kill the entire table. Having more Basics is also great for Canopy Vista entering untapped which then further helps with that curve hitting problem.

Tevesh

The Ikoira Update:
Changes 05/27/20
Approximate Total Cost:

If I'm playing Aggro, I shouldn't be playing those expensive pieces. Sheoldred, unfortunately, counts. Rankle makes my opponents Sacrifice the turn he comes down and he comes down on Turn 4 compared to Sheoldred's 7 if everything goes well. This means he's swinging the same turn that Tymna could be turning sideways. He brings me draw and can force Discard if I need it. By going so token heavy, I'm thinking I can not be hurt by his pseudo-Grave Pact. I think he'll be a solid addition.

Death's Oasis gives me gas to keep playing out those threats. I shouldn't be running so many answers as I'm the one asking to be answered, hence Play of the Game leaving for something that'll keep up my beats.

With my threats being more diffuse, I don't need to make a particular Legend punch in. Shizo loses its utility. Indatha Triome comes in to be fetched by Knight of the White Orchid to up my Plains count for Emeria, the Sky Ruin. Bonders' Enclave comes in as a low opportunity cost way of adding more card draw to the deck.

Tevesh

Ikoria Update: Electric Boogaloo:
Changes 06/02/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Knight's out because Ramp isn't so much the issue as just tenacious threats. Lurrus comes in as a more expensive option but I think she's going to be quite nasty with recurring my low drops. She benefits from the cost reduction of Oketra's Monument, passes the Sun Titan test and provides Lifelink for all of my effects that like life gain. Being able to loop Sakura-Tribe Elder for Ramp or Selfless Spirit for Protection more than makes up for the loss of Ramp, I'm gaining a crapload of utility on an efficient body.

Dross Harvester is OK. He does work but doesn't elicit much from a threat matrices viewpoint which is something a Control deck wants. This deck is not a Control deck. Luminous Broodmoth gets its cost reduction from the Monument as well but unfortunately fails the Sun Titan restriction1. Luckily, it provides tons of recursion for my board. This also means that I can really begin Sacrificing my dudes to Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim, Rankle, Master of Pranks or Krav, the Unredeemed only to have them immediately come back.

Genesis Storm just costs too much. Back when this deck was more midrange, it made sense, as I would be putting Sheoldred, Whispering One , Zetalpa, Primal Dawn and other absurdities into play. Even though part of the reason why this deck has two Commanders was originally to take advantage of Commander Storm, the deck has moved away from that. In its stead comes Animate Dead, it'll be something my Lurrus can recast, passes the Sun Titan limit and can be used to grab any number of big scary threats.

Tevesh

C20 Update:
Changes 06/10/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I think the Hawk's going to be good times. It has Flying to evade Blocks to get in for Ikra's lifegain and more importantly, Tymna's Saboteur Requirement. I've got a bunch of on-cast triggers when it comes to Creatures, so having the Hawk keep sending itself home will work in my favour; Lifecrafter's Bestiary draw, Oketra's Monument's Warriors, God-Eternal Oketra's Warriors and The Great Henge's ETB for draw and +1/+1 Counters. As a White Creature, the Hawk will also have its cost reduced by Oketra's Monument. Fetching Plains will ensure my Emeria, the Sky Ruin will come online and considering how many Duals are in the deck, I should have no issues colour fixing as well. Once we get to late game where I might have more Lands than my opponents, I'll fall back onto the nature of a 2/1 Flyer - hopefully I'll have some kind of pump to make the bird big.

Tevesh

Curve slimming:
Changes 06/19/20
Approximate Total Cost:

Krav and Regna are great, no doubt, but they're just too costly for what they do. I did like that either could fetch the other but they were just too damned costly. I couldn't guarantee holding mana open for Krav, so he didn't guarantee me cards or life and without life gain Regna is just an overcosted bird person. I don't think my Mindblade Render is going to miss her Warrior brethen from Regna and I still have Oketra's Monument to spew those guys forth.

I know Kambal gets a lot of hate, many decks have to kill him on site for the drain effect. By increases my odds of gaining life out of turn, I also reap the benefits with Archangel of Thune and Karlov of the Ghost Council plus he might turn on Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim. He'll also benefit from the Monument's reduction and he's within Sun Titan's limit.

Emeria Angel is just the first repeated token maker I could grab. Making Flying threats will be great, for Tymna's triggers as well as just getting in there. The deck has quite a few Ramp elements so I'm sure I can spew more Birds out and she also benefits from the Monument's reduction.

Generous Gift is far more flexible than Constant Mists. I should be the one making people bleed, not worry about the bleeding and if that's the case, I should be gaining enough life to soak all the damage.

I newly rebuilt Daxos needed Kor Haven more than this deck. After all, if it is aggro I shouldn't be pushing so many Control elements; instead, I should make sure I hit my colours to cast my threats. The deck is a little colour intensive and Confluence comes in to fix that; I chose it over City of Brass because I can cheat the lifeloss with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Tevesh

Pushing Aggro:
Changes 06/22/20
Approximate Total Cost:

I was thinking about if I care about the amount of life gain or just the triggers. I noticed that the deck does best when it triggers a lot of times, even for little amounts, than if I get one big life gain trigger. With that in mind, I knew Grim Feast doesn't really cut it because it only triggers off of my opponent's Creatures dying. I have found that it is usually my Creatures that do the dying; people tend only do favourable blocks unless you're threatening lethal. When it came to replacing Grim Feast, I knew that I'd want a similar effect. While I would really like Zulaport Cutthroat's global hit, again, it's forgoing my opponent's Creature's deaths. I did like the idea of Vindictive Vampire but it's outside the CMC that will let Sun Titan resurrect him, as well as Lurrus of the Dream-Den. The Blood Artist will hopefully provide a lot of reach. I did think of using Poison-Tip Archer in this slot as well but decided against him due to the deck liking lifegain.

I have a lot of ways to go wide but I realized that a bunch of dorks don't do much. Emeria Angel is in some ways the most costly of my token Creatures and so I decided to give her the axe. I was trying to think of Creatures with innate anthems. At first I thought of Angel of Invention, due to its Lifelink and Anthem, but I recalled my lessons from Marchesa. Aggro cannot be satisfied with linear damage when you're trying to kill 120 points, at least. I then thought of Loyal Guardian and how each turn he could be ticking my men up over and over. I decided against him in favour of Drana. Drana has evasion for Tymna's triggers, she's within the Sun Titan Resurrection limit and I like the lowered CMC just due to being an aggro deck.

Lifecrafter's Bestiary is an artifact of when the deck was midrange; it was a way to get some extra value if I had spare mana and I used the Upkeep Scry trigger to smooth over my draws. As Aggro, I don't have the luxury of choice. Unfortunately, I had to increase my CMC with Beast Whisperer but he triggers off of every Creature Cast.

Tevesh

M21 and an experiment:
Changes 07/13/20
Approximate Total Cost:

The deck revolves around gaining life, Vito was a slam dunk auto-include as soon as I saw his spoiled text. The fact that he's low to the ground helps this deck immensely. I was trying to find a cut and was surprised that E. Wit was the worst of my three drops. The rest push my game forward, hurting my opponents, while E. Wit is just a mere one shot recursion piece. I don't think I'm going to win the game with a Regrowth in Aggro. So, that's what I settled on her as a cut but I won't be surprised if she makes a return.

There's an adage about threats and answers, there have been times when Spirit was the wrong answer. If I'm being Aggro, I should be the one placing threats down. Barring deep clean Wraths, Luminarch will stick around ticking up. That's a card you only play if you're Archenemy and as an Aggro deck that needs to damage every opponent to keep drawing cards, I think this deck qualifies. Once online, two mana for a 4/4 Flyer outstrips most of my Creatures, which means I can take my time rebuilding which is perfect for this type of deck. At least, that's the idea, we'll see how it executes.

Tevesh

I stumbled across the Competitive Casual YT channel and they had Ikra-Tymna partners. After seeing how the deck is built and piloted, I realized that they're able to pay off the life by doing broken stuff that is inappropriate at this tier of play. That's the issue, Tymna makes the deck want to be lean and mean to continually draw cards, while Ikra is much more rewarding for midrangey fun. I like Tymna more as a Commander but Ikra is what I want from this deck. The deck is completely at odds with itself. Going the pure midrange route isn't enjoyable because Tymna becomes useless; trying the lean-and-mean build makes for me being unable to pay off the deck for a win.

With heavy heart, I realize I need to send these two to the farm. I'm disassembling the deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”