Syrix, Cycle of Fire

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Circus Flaminius
Approximate Total Cost:

Got bored of Judith, and found the deck a bit too swingy, so I'm trying again with Syrix and mixing some discard aspects in with the aristocrats.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

Tags:

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

We Syrix now.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

For Syrix I wondered how badly you might want to run cost reducers like Hazoret's Monument, Bontu's Monument, Jet Medallion, etc. You still have to pay, and it can make for some more aristocratery.

I was surprised to see no altars, but maybe they are too obvious?

Taurean Mauler seems intriguing. I don't know if it replaces Venomous Changeling - Venomous is better at machinegunning creatures, for sure, but it can get beeg.

Skyfire Phoenix is the only mandatory one, I suspect, but Everquill Phoenix and Rekindling Phoenix also all seem pretty good for Syrix. And Immortal Phoenix is the largest phoenix, power-wise, if you want to have the option to start lava axing people.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Depending on your meta, Cairn Wanderer could be a suitable option: it counts other peoples' graveyards as well, so you could have a Phoenix with a bunch of keywords to throw around.

Crypt Champion recurs a lot of what you have, too.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
For Syrix I wondered how badly you might want to run cost reducers like Hazoret's Monument, Bontu's Monument, Jet Medallion, etc. You still have to pay, and it can make for some more aristocratery.
I was surprised to see no altars, but maybe they are too obvious?
I'd deliberately avoided Bontument and altars because I don't really want to be combo-based, and I don't want opponents getting spooked and nuking me into the ground. I should throw Hazoret's Monument in though, as it's also more filtering and fuels discard synergies. Jet Medallion is just too expensive and no-one has one.
Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
Taurean Mauler seems intriguing. I don't know if it replaces Venomous Changeling - Venomous is better at machinegunning creatures, for sure, but it can get beeg.

Yeah, I've probably underestimated Mauler's ability to go face and threaten opponents into slowing down.
Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
Skyfire Phoenix is the only mandatory one, I suspect, but Everquill Phoenix and Rekindling Phoenix also all seem pretty good for Syrix. And Immortal Phoenix is the largest phoenix, power-wise, if you want to have the option to start lava axing people.
They're still expensive, and I have more than enough ways to recur my commander with all the looping shenanigans I've got going on. Neither of them are good value to discard early and I've found 4drop generals to be really awkward if I have a lot of other 4drops.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Depending on your meta, Cairn Wanderer could be a suitable option: it counts other peoples' graveyards as well, so you could have a Phoenix with a bunch of keywords to throw around.
4/4 keyword soup for five just isn't particularly good, and I don't have many ways to get extra value off it. If I find I need more combat bodies, that's one of the first I'll add though.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Crypt Champion recurs a lot of what you have, too.
See my prior point about keeping 4drops low. Also people get weird about "help everyone" cards in one of my metas, where if someone gets back a Rec Sage or whatever and nukes someone's else stuff, they'll come after me because I "let them do it". Yeah, I could politics with it, but part of politics is knowing the local norms, and adapting to them.

Thanks for the tips, in light of them:
-Krovikan Horror
-Phyresis
+Hazoret's Monument
+Taurean Mauler

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”