Sliver Queen's Superfriends

Travnar
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Travnar » 2 years ago

Hey all! Moving my Sliver Queen primer thread from MTGSalvation to here. This is the deck list in its current state and it's a bit of a WIP at the moment. I transitioned the deck from all-in superfriends control to a tokens sub-theme but have yet to play with it much since. The token theme adds a win-condition, chumps for walkers, combos well with a lot of planeswalkers and the decks marquee card, Doubling Season. Below is the current state of the list. I'm looking for suggestions.
Sliver Queen Superfriends

COMMANDER

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

Hi and welcome!

(edit: I haven't updated my own thread's list in a while - also got distracted in the middle of a rebuild of the deck and need to finish that.)
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Travnar

lyonhaert wrote:
2 years ago
Hi and welcome!

(edit: I haven't updated my own thread's list in a while - also got distracted in the middle of a rebuild of the deck and need to finish that.)
Ah good to see you again!

I got my deck put together on MTGO, so I'll be testing when I get some time. Anyway, just wanted to throw out some ideas I'm having for the deck.

Some cards I'm considering:
Last edited by Travnar 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lyonhaert

My thoughts on some of those:
  • [/quote]While I don't run Doubling Season specifically to avoid insta-ulting walkers, Assemble the Legion is probably more of a must-answer than Paradox Zone, even without Doubling. The latter can be neat with Mystic Reflection or Esix, Fractal Bloom, though, because they'll enter as token copies of something but still get the +1/+1 counters.
  • Felidar Retreat is very nice. I've gotten good results from some of the other "+1/+1 counter on each creature you control" effects like Ajani, the Greathearted, so I'd expect this is decent, too. I just happen to need to test mine in Breena, the Demagogue first with a +1/+1 counter theme.
  • I haven't tested March of Souls but it's in the pile. But I also run Divine Visitation, so it'll be bonkers with that.
  • Lithoform Engine - You've got an okay-but-not-massive number of targets for all its abilities (mostly just your walkers are legendary), but it taps to activate and Rings doesn't. So it really depends on how much you pay 2 for Rings in a single turn. (At one point I had more legendary things and Lithoform definitely wouldn't have worked well for me.)
  • Eerie Ultimatum can absolutely drown opponents in value and lead to an endgame pretty quickly. I haven't used it specifically, but this brings back potentially more than Primevals' Glorious Rebirth and I have resolved that one in a couple games to take over the board run over the table.
  • I think I removed Oath of Nissa because I wanted broader fixing (not just for walker casting) and had to tuck important enchantments too many times.
  • Oath of Liliana you miss out on a lot of potential zombies unless you're blinking or flashing in walkers on opponents' turns. The sacrifice ETB never really killed what I wanted it to, either.
Aside from Divine Visitation, I've also found Sarkhan Unbroken and Garruk, Cursed Huntsman to be permanent spots in my version. And I don't even run Rings or Doubling Season to more easily get 2 of Garruk's emblems. My favorite playthrough so far (for how I'd like it to normally unfold) involved those three (and something else making tokens as well, midgame) and just turning 7/7 vigiflample angels "sideways" (not really sideways). Spark Double has also been neat, but it also has use in copying my commander Ramos, Dragon Engine, which isn't quite the same with Sliver Queen.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Travnar

lyonhaert wrote:
2 years ago
My thoughts on some of those:
  • While I don't run Doubling Season specifically to avoid insta-ulting walkers, Assemble the Legion is probably more of a must-answer than Paradox Zone, even without Doubling. The latter can be neat with Mystic Reflection or Esix, Fractal Bloom, though, because they'll enter as token copies of something but still get the +1/+1 counters.
  • Felidar Retreat is very nice. I've gotten good results from some of the other "+1/+1 counter on each creature you control" effects like Ajani, the Greathearted, so I'd expect this is decent, too. I just happen to need to test mine in Breena, the Demagogue first with a +1/+1 counter theme.
  • I haven't tested March of Souls but it's in the pile. But I also run Divine Visitation, so it'll be bonkers with that.
  • Lithoform Engine - You've got an okay-but-not-massive number of targets for all its abilities (mostly just your walkers are legendary), but it taps to activate and Rings doesn't. So it really depends on how much you pay 2 for Rings in a single turn. (At one point I had more legendary things and Lithoform definitely wouldn't have worked well for me.)
  • Eerie Ultimatum can absolutely drown opponents in value and lead to an endgame pretty quickly. I haven't used it specifically, but this brings back potentially more than Primevals' Glorious Rebirth and I have resolved that one in a couple games to take over the board run over the table.
  • I think I removed Oath of Nissa because I wanted broader fixing (not just for walker casting) and had to tuck important enchantments too many times.
  • Oath of Liliana you miss out on a lot of potential zombies unless you're blinking or flashing in walkers on opponents' turns. The sacrifice ETB never really killed what I wanted it to, either.
Aside from Divine Visitation, I've also found Sarkhan Unbroken and Garruk, Cursed Huntsman to be permanent spots in my version. And I don't even run Rings or Doubling Season to more easily get 2 of Garruk's emblems. My favorite playthrough so far (for how I'd like it to normally unfold) involved those three (and something else making tokens as well, midgame) and just turning 7/7 vigiflample angels "sideways" (not really sideways). Spark Double has also been neat, but it also has use in copying my commander Ramos, Dragon Engine, which isn't quite the same with Sliver Queen.
Definitely some good points here. I'm certainly leaning more and more towards including Eerie Ultimatum, but I might test without it for now.

As for Sarkhan Unbroken, I feel like his a bit too narrow for me, especially because Doubling Season is in my deck so ulting is important (won't be tutoring up any dragons here). Garruk, Cursed Huntsman does seem decent. Will have to keep an eye on him.

Some more thoughts I had:
Stomping GroundInterplanar Beacon (or maybe even Exotic Orchard? Beacon does filter out colorless mana, which is nice.)
Steam VentsLotus Field
Blood CryptReflecting Pool
Sacred FoundryMana Confluence

Red is in a significant minority in the deck, so dropping the shocks isn't the biggest loss. Lotus Field does add another ETB tapped land, which isn't ideal admittedly. But I also love the idea of untapping it with Ral Zarek, Garruk Wildspeaker and Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset.

lyonhaert

Travnar wrote:
2 years ago
As for Sarkhan Unbroken, I feel like his a bit too narrow for me, especially because Doubling Season is in my deck so ulting is important (won't be tutoring up any dragons here). Garruk, Cursed Huntsman does seem decent. Will have to keep an eye on him.
Good point, as I plan more around first and second abilities than ults. I have been pondering a good dragon or two to include just in case I get to ult him (such as Terror of the Peaks or Utvara Hellkite), but Mirror Entity is also a Dragon and can do quite a bit with Ramos mana. With Garruk, I don't run DS, but I do run Oath of Gideon, so sometimes I just immediately get that emblem for 4bg anyway. Even though I've seen those wolves get past blockers, it's often pretty easy to get the emblem at least by the turn after you cast him.

Overall I had drifted away from having as much of a control suite, but I've found I need to put some back. I'm going to be aiming for about 15-20 walkers, I think, with it being a largely token-combat-focused, noncreature-heavy list, and then 7-10 creatures that help enable the tokens and the Mystic Reflection/Mirrorweave shenanigans.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

knoasis

Post by knoasis » 11 months ago

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and thank you for all the inspiration (especially @Travnar), I've been playing Superfriends control on and off for 7 years now and your list over on mtgsalvation is what originally inspired me. I'm still on the old control shell and sadly never managed to pick up a Sliver Queen before she shot up in price but have been running Kenrith, the Returned King as my commander instead. If anyone is interested I'll post the list but thanks for everyone's contributions over the years as this has ended up as one of my few long lasting decklists!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”