Jenara - Duck and Cover

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

So this concept has a few names and ideas. Its sort of a hatebears / tempo / duck and cover all rolled into one concept. The basic plan here is to slow opponents gameplan down while applying consistent pressure via the commander. My goal isn't to necessarily answer everything but just slow opponents down enough that I can kill them before they can press their wincon on me. You will notice a lot of emphasis on not multi spellcast in a turn which has been a big issue for me in my local meta lately. Too many players in my meta play these highly proactive decks that just draw and ramp them into half hour turns that drive me crazy so I am here with this idea as a means of disrupting them while applying pressure which is classic duck and cover.

I like this concept, but its possible that the landbase (as with a lot of fast moving 3 color decks) might end up making it a short lived experiment unless I have a lot of fun with it. Fast moving three+ color landbases are a complete beast to field and often don't allow much for budget constraints. In all reality I probably have too many basics in the list as it is given I am not all that heavy on ramping lands. I might end up cutting a few more of them if this gets out the door but I probably still want 10-12 of them.

I ended up choosing Jenara for this because she has access to UW which were the core colors I was looking for to run as many of the one cast per turn effects as well as giving me access to countermagic. Jenara is a good mana sink that lets me play sort of a draw / go strategy keeping up mana and sinking it into her if I don't need to react to my opponents in a turn. The emphasis on Archon of Emeria effects also keeps me from running a number of toolbox cards that tutor a card to hand like Stoneforge Mystic / Trinket Mage as the multiple spellcast components of these cards interfere with my goal.

I could still run Deafening Silence and Ethersworn Canonist but I didn't include them to start. My concern is that the allowances of what people can cast multiple of might still be a pain in the ass. I also have 4 copies of this sort of effect and I could possibly see the next move being to run additional tutors rather than additional copies especially when I don't intent to be able to abuse the allocation beyond one cast per turn with these.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”