Oswald's Hatebear Toolbox

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

In a nutshell, I love toolbox decks and I love mono white so..... yup I had to build Oswald. I went with a lot of toolboxy hate cards in part because well.... he can turn them over when they are bad so.... that is usually helpful.

My wincons are still a bit abstract offhand but I found a few that felt like they were still reasonable.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

ENCHANTMENT (1)

INSTANT (1)

SORCERY (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by ISBPathfinder 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Hope of Ghirapur and Phyrexian revoker seem like they would be good here.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Hope of Ghirapur and Phyrexian Negator seem like they would be good here.
Hope of Ghirapur - I really like this card but the fact that its a single use effect makes it a really hard sale for me without some excessive recursion intended. I could see it if I went with Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle as my commander or if I planned to do something with
Auriok Salvagers in the deck but I think without a strong attempt at recursion its going to be a bit of a hard sell for me. Its effect can be strong but timing its ability is hard and without setting up some sort of recursive lock with it I just don't see it as being good enough.

Phyrexian Negator - I am going to go out on a limb and assume you intended another card here? Phyrexian Revoker perhaps? I will just assume you meant revoker. I had it in my list to start but felt that it being a creature was mostly a liability making it worse in most cases than Sorcerous Spyglass. Given that I am a toolbox deck I felt that given that spyglass and revoker were the same mana cost I just couldn't see a situation that revoker really felt like an improvement to me over the spyglass as its down to just positive creature interactions on my side which while I have a few were a bit few and far between. I think you want to avoid too much redundancy at the same mana cost so it comes down to how much redundancy you feel you need. Its possible that Revoker could be included over Pithing Needle given that its going to be a bit tricky to tutor pithing but I do have Urza's Saga and a few artifact tokens that I could pod off to get one drops. The question I guess comes down to how much redundancy you want but I think its better to have a more tools rather than redundancy unless you are responding to local meta issues. I considered having as little as a single card of this effect which for me would likely be Sorcerous Spyglass but I felt like I might want a second. I don't really have anything behind my choice to include two other than I felt like I wanted more one drops and I think Pithing is very strong when its good and a good chain starter when it isn't.

So, I needed to cut four cards and as I was cutting cards I came up with a few things I wanted to make room for so cuts went a bit deeper to make room for some swaps.

CUTS:
  • Lithoform Engine - I went back and forth several times on cutting this card because it is cool and powerful. My issue is with how much it costs to use and it can only be used once a turn in most cases. I mostly want to use its first ability but playing and using it on my commander's ability in one turn costs SEVEN MANA. It also takes a setup of my commander and something I intend to sacrifice to start it off so I felt like it was kind of clunky and demanding on my situation to happen.
  • Prototype Portal - Its card disadvantage to set up and it also looks very expensive to get going. There was a time where I considered going deeper on the untap concept where this felt interesting to me but I felt like I kept getting further and further from having more mana and untaps and it was making the portal less appealing to me. So, cutting some expensive and clunky things and trying to keep it a bit more streamlined to get started.
  • Clock of Omens - With cutting the above two artifacts I felt like my impactful targets to untap was getting a bit iffy. I also don't really deal in artifact tokens all that much with this list so my chaff things to untap while I am sure will still be there they didn't feel as plentiful as in my Sai deck where I have Thoptors everywhere.
  • Eye of Vecna - I like how I can draw more cards from it but the cost at upkeep seems a bit rough.
  • Platinum Emperion - I was trying REALLY hard to include an 8 drop because I have a number of seven drops that are begging to be sacrificed but I think in the end, I am just going to have to be happy capping out at 7 for my artifact curve. Emperion is cool and there are times it can work. Its just hard to set him up right when you need it and not have him be removed.
  • Steel Hellkite - This guy is a classic throwback for me. I remember drafting with him and such but he has always been a little lacking for this format. He isn't a great thing to pod into or out of and its slow given I have like two haste options in the deck.
ADDS:
  • Cosmos Elixir - I realized my four drops were feeling a bit light with cutting three of them. I like that you should know if you will draw a card the turn you play it and even if you get beat up its an option for some lifegain or you can pod off it with the commander if that isn't a good idea.
  • Sun Titan - I probably went a little hard on the theme to overlook the fact that I am sacrificing cheap things. Sun Titan seems like he should fit well here.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I got this deck almost entirely put together and it made me question a few of my selections. I haven't gotten to play in like forever but this one feels interesting enough and I am almost done building it to the point that it likely will get in for a few games at least.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Origin SpellbombStoneforge Mystic - I overlooked the fact that Spellbomb needs me to pay mana on it dying so it really turns it into a 2 mana artifact with an ETB draw. So..... that said I think it needs to go as I don't really see myself using its bad token creation effect. I guess the value of keeping it would be if I wanted to inflate my one drop count more but I am going to cut it for now and just kind of see if the deck pushes me in a direction that I would want it back. Stoneforge seems fine, I don't see any equipment that I like have to have but with batterskull in the list with this change I felt like the option to cheat a batterskull early was interesting enough and my equipment count goes to four with this so I guess I am ok with giving it a shot and seeing where it goes. I wish there were more equipment that I felt strongly about but right now it feels like Illusionist's Bracers is kind of the biggest deal sort of equipment that I would care about. I guess time will tell.
  • Meteor GolemRebbec, Architect of Ascension - I felt like the redundancy of having both the golem and Spine of Ish Sah both at seven mana weren't quite idea. Seven is sort of the top of my curve as well and I felt like in most cases I would be happier getting spine which can return to me later for more value. Its true that I could rez the golem but it also competes against Torpor Orb which is in my list. I was a little leery of Rebbec from the standpoint of my equipment but I realized that most of my equipment was still good through this effect as two of my four equipment are living weapons and the other two I would probably want on my commander and or on Rebbec when she is in play.
  • Precursor GolemBatterskull - So in my head, I thought the golems from Precursor were copies of it not 0 mana tokens. It does matter as I was thinking of this card originally as three five mana artifacts that could be sacrificed. Precursor is still good to sacrifice itself but I guess I am a little less impressed with it than I was originally. I like what Batterskull brings to the table being something to kind of battleship with in that it gives me some lifegain when needed. I only had the Wurmcoil before and I think when this deck does its thing, I think its gonna be a slog.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”