Casual Kobold/Szat

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

When Commander Legends was being spoiled, once Tevesh Szat and Rograkh were spoiled, I joked that I would build a deck where Szat just repeatedly grinds up the Kobold for cards. And then, after playing Szat/Kodama, I thought it might be fun to actually do that.

My esteem for the Rograkh has increased, and I think he's worth more than just 3 cards whenever Szat is hungry (though he still is that, a lot). Stuff like Springleaf Drum or Paradise Mantle is great with him. The deck works okay, but, I find it's lacking in the finisher department. Basically Skull Storm feels like the only wincon, and I'm not sure where to go with it.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

What it currently does:
This deck feels like Aristocrats/Stax-lite. I grind creatures up a lot between Fleshbag Marauder analogues, and Grave Pact & friends. Tergrid is kind of a wincon with the way the removal is structured in the deck, but I've never been able to untap with her. The aristocrats part feels insubstantial (like, maybe I need to aggressively torch life totals with something like Fraying Omnipotence before engaging a Zulaport Cutthroat?)

The card that really torpedos people the most is Skull Storm, which often clears the board and deals a ton of damage -- especially to creature-light decks -- without much recourse. For the most part, the deck doesn't feel like it can close out games without Skull Storm or (presumably) sticking a Tergrid.

What I don't want to do:
I have no interest in powering out Szat faster (so, no Vault/Crypt/Grim Monolith/Culling the Weak, thanks), or comboing to victory. So, I don't want to Reiterate Jeska's Will infinitely, I don't want to play Ad Nauseam or Peer into the Abyss, I have little interest in Underworld Breach, but am open to the possibility of a non-infinite loop with it (like, I'm okay playing Jeska's Will until I run out of cards in the graveyard, but I don't want to put a set of rituals and a Wheel of Fortune so I can win with it).

Please help me, Magic Gurus of Nexus! What would you do in Rakdos with a bunch of card draw, relatively fast mana, a sinister token-making planeswalker, and a very reliable (but very small) Kobold?

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”