Prosper: Turbo Tryhard

pzbw7z
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

Prosper nearly won a game Thursday! Playing some more gives me some ideas about getting there. Also, I saw a couple of cards that might really add to the decks chances.
These two can turn Revel in Riches into a real threat, or at least it seems to me they might. A couple of more tutors would also really help. Thinking about Wishclaw Talisman and Grim Tutor. Wishclaw's downside isn't really relevant if the opponent doesn't get another turn. :grin:

Also adding Feed the Swarm and Earthquake. I should try to trade for a Damnation, but Earthquake can be casted harmlessly for cheap (R) if I hit it off of Prosper, so it it's less likely to be wasted as far as Prospering goes, at least.

I've already added some more removal and it helps a little. I think the deck would benefit from running a lower curve, even though it can cast the higher priced spells, but one can't have treasures and use them too!

Tags:

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Does anyone else like the idea of Salvage Titan here? It's nothing but a big, dumb beater, but the way this deck cranks out Treasure tokens, he seems viable even if not synergistic.
If there's room for Salvage Titan, there's room for Marionette Master, which is leagues better.

Read this if you haven't yet. It might help.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38724
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pzbw7z

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
If there's room for Salvage Titan, there's room for Marionette Master, which is leagues better.
You're not wrong.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Read this if you haven't yet. It might help.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38724
I have read it before and I just read it again. It's a good post, I look at it when I'm tuning this.

pzbw7z

Final Fortune and Emergence Zone came in the mail today and were added straightaway to the deck. These should give my win conditions some support.

pzbw7z

One very obvious thing about this deck is it's AWFUL without Prosper in play. A couple or three removal spells and it's over.

pzbw7z

Prosper finally pulled off a win! One of the opponents was on a lightly tuned Vampire precon and the other guy probably had a solid deck but he never drew one of his colors.

Prosper dropped turn three and started prospering. Reckless Fireweaver came out early and did some work. A board wipe stalled the Vampires and saved me from needing to use my removal until later. Disciple of the Vault came out and did some work after the wipe. A little bit of combat damage from Laelia, the Blade Reforged and a few others added up to a kill against the Vampires and the other guy scooped it up - still without his third color and not much life left.

Prosper made tons of Treasure and got lands and rocks in play. Those treasures made lots of triggers from Fireweaver and Disciple. Prosper even attacked a few times!

Not really proof of concept as it wasn't quite competitive, but it was still fun to finally come out on top.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 2 years ago

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
One very obvious thing about this deck is it's AWFUL without Prosper in play. A couple or three removal spells and it's over.
Should probably be running Lightning Greaves and/Swiftfoot Boots then.

pzbw7z

yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Should probably be running Lightning Greaves and/Swiftfoot Boots then.
Board wipes are a big part of the problem but some cheap artifact-based Shroud or Hexproof abilities are worth a thought.

pzbw7z

yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
Then maybe something like Kaya's Ghostform?
Or recurring recursion, like Oversold Cemetery , Strands of Night or Phyrexian Reclamation?
Maybe Ghostform. I don't know about relying on graveyard recursion to avoid Commander tax, though.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 2 years ago

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
Or recurring recursion, like Oversold Cemetery , Strands of Night or Phyrexian Reclamation?
Maybe Ghostform. I don't know about relying on graveyard recursion to avoid Commander tax, though.
I wouldn't ever send the commander to yard unless I had the recursion piece out already, but you're safe to do so if it's there. Once the stack resolves to that point, you can activate one of the instant speed pieces, which will generally mean no room for stopping you from getting the commander back other than exiling it from your yard...which sends it to the command zone anyway.

pzbw7z

yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
I wouldn't ever send the commander to yard unless I had the recursion piece out already, but you're safe to do so if it's there. Once the stack resolves to that point, you can activate one of the instant speed pieces, which will generally mean no room for stopping you from getting the commander back other than exiling it from your yard...which sends it to the command zone anyway.
Phyrexian Reclamation makes sense for other reasons. I might give that a try, but using a card just to avoid the tax doesn't appeal.

pzbw7z

Prosper makes it two in a row! He played a three-way against admittedly not terribly competitive decks and thrashed both of them. Turn-three Prosper followed quickly by Reckless Fireweaver and shortly after by Academy Manufactor. . . With no disruption those guys were just gas. I think my last turn I cast four spells from exile making twelve Fireweaver triggers. It was brutal. :grin:

Honorable mention to a big Laelia, the Blade Reforged and a shout out to Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge.

pzbw7z

There are a couple of Prosper decks on https://cedh-decklist-database.com/; it turns out I'm close to $4K short !

All along I've suspected I was somewhat off the mark. :) I'm still loathe to cut some of the pet cards I've got, but I am going to try to step it up a bit.

These cards are going in: These cards are on order: Doomsday is under very serious consideration along with Mizzix's Mastery and Underworld Breach.

Cuts have yet to be determined - there are plenty of choices!

pzbw7z

Cuts: A low-ball bid on Ebay scored a copy of Doomsday. It's a thing. :)

pzbw7z

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Birgi, God of Storytelling I'm not sure why there was early hype about Birgi in relation to Prosper. They do not play well together.
I was wondering if Birgi was here for the flip side.
It turns out that Harnfel goes infinite with Sensei's Divining Top and Prosper. Draw/Impulse all of your cards, win.

I think my deck will need a little work to pull it off properly. :) Underworld Breach or Yawgmoth's Will is probably required to cast some of the discarded cards. A winning combo is also needed along with the mana to cast it. This may require some ritual spells.

pzbw7z

Doomscrolling
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander (1)

Enchantments (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Impulsive Prosper
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by pzbw7z 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

pzbw7z

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
These cards arrived today: These are out:
Also adding a Snow-Covered Mountain and a Snow-Covered Swamp and removing a Mountain and a Swamp.

Legend
Aethernaut

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander (1)

Enchantments (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

So, it looks to me like you copied and pasted a couple of Rakdos goodstuff lists. Or am I missing something here? I mean, what's even the point of Prosper being the commander of these decks?

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

pzbw7z

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander (1)

Enchantments (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

So, it looks to me like you copied and pasted a couple of Rakdos goodstuff lists. Or am I missing something here? I mean, what's even the point of Prosper being the commander of these decks?
Yes, just to have them handy - they are from the cEDH decklist. Prosper is important to the main Doomsday pile in one list and Impulsing is just good, otherwise, he's Rakdos and these decks use the good stuff from that color combination.

Legend
Aethernaut

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander (1)

Enchantments (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Yes, just to have them handy - they are from the cEDH decklist. Prosper is important to the main Doomsday pile in one list and Impulsing is just good, otherwise, he's Rakdos and these decks use the good stuff from that color combination.
Fair enough. I'm going to have to look into the relevance of Prosper in these builds because I'm not seeing it. It's just looks too easy to impulse away a combo piece or two and be left with a broken clock. Even when/if Prosper does matter, the sequencing must be hellacious.

pzbw7z

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago

Fair enough. I'm going to have to look into the relevance of Prosper in these builds because I'm not seeing it. It's just looks too easy to impulse away a combo piece or two and be left with a broken clock. Even when/if Prosper does matter, the sequencing must be hellacious.
Sensei's Divining Top is essential, I think, to both decks. There are cards that seem to have no other purpose than to get Top. Of course, Harnfel combos with Top so Magda, Brazen Outlaw may also be used to retrieve it. At least, I think it's legal to do that.

There are also multiple combos. Cloudstone Curio is important to those. Magda can also get it. I'm starting to understand better why Magda's in the deck. :)

Both decks have a small tutorial. Here's the link, in case you haven't looked it up yet: https://cedh-decklist-database.com/
Scroll down and click on Prosper.

Legend
Aethernaut

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Sensei's Divining Top is essential, I think, to both decks. There are cards that seem to have no other purpose than to get Top. Of course, Harnfel combos with Top so Magda, Brazen Outlaw may also be used to retrieve it. At least, I think it's legal to do that.

There are also multiple combos. Cloudstone Curio is important to those. Magda can also get it. I'm starting to understand better why Magda's in the deck. :)

Both decks have a small tutorial. Here's the link, in case you haven't looked it up yet: https://cedh-decklist-database.com/
Scroll down and click on Prosper.
I looked at the "Impulsive Prosper" list and "primer". The guy is dreaming. If the deck is actually competitive quality, which I doubt, Prosper has nothing to do with it. Prosper is just kind of "there". The deck will do its thing with or without Prosper. As for the Doomsday list, I'll pass. Doomsday combos have been around for over twenty years. They're boring. My interest in Prosper has always been what Prosper can do uniquely. Not whether he might make an existing deck a little better. To each his own. Have fun. :)

pzbw7z

The changes lower the curve a little, add a little additional speed, add an achievable win-con and - I hope - are a step in the direction of competitiveness. Many more changes will be forthcoming.

EDIT: Oops! Fixed the box titles.

pzbw7z

Goblin Engineer and Magda are primarily in to fetch Top. Three cards are mana makers, Peer into the Abyss is a potential haymaker.

Underworld Breach is next on the to-get list. I'm not sure I even want to play this pile without it. :) Necropotence would also be very good to have.

Cloudstone Curio and Dockside Extortionist are very much desired as well.
Last edited by pzbw7z 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”