Queen's Marching Orders

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 2 years ago

This list is based somewhat on some of the "aikido" lists floating around out there, but I'm leaning a little more heavily into the goad mechanic. The overall idea is to incentivize or force attacking elsewhere, and then either dodge the heat that comes my way, or punish the fools for their rash behavior.
Queen's Marching Orders

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

The main "wincon" for the deck is Smothering Tithe + Underworld Breach + Incendiary Command. Together, they can draw out the table, or kill with the 4 damage option. Somewhere in all the drawing, the deck should turn up Angel's Grace which can ensure we don't lose from decking ourselves.

Otherwise, the deck's goals are to push everyone else to attack each other, and then clean up once they're weakened/down to a 1v1. Sometimes that involves using their resources against them directly with something like Mob Rule, or turning a big attack/block into table-wide damage with Arcbond. The strongest card in the deck, BY FAR is Sunforger. Protect it whenever possible, because the options for control it provides will make a tremendous impact on the game.

The deck is fairly slow and grindy, with the sources of card advantage coming primarily from being Monarch. There are some political options there, but most of the time, the deck doesn't want to give up the title if it can be helped.

Below are cards that were either in the original draft of the list, or are on my list of possible includes. Definitely open to suggestions on some replacements in the main deck if they make sense.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I think you are gonna enjoy the new Hellish Rebuke :)

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 2 years ago

Going to try out Dream Devourer in place of Custodi Lich. The Lich has been decent on occasion, but much of the time it doesn't really do much, either because I hang onto Monarch for most of the game, or because my opponents have junk they don't mind sacrificing anyway. I've read a lot of positive feedback on the Devourer, and can definitely see how it could be beneficial on turns where I'm leaving mana up to cast a reactive spell that I could instead foretell and "bank" for later. Especially cards with 2+ colorless mana in their cost, like Comeuppance, where I could foretell on my turn and still have the option of casting it in the turn cycle if need be. That this also swaps a 5cmc card for a 2cmc card is an additional benefit.

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

Do you mess around with this deck anymore? I was pondering what I thought the best Sunforger deck might be, and I thought of this one.

Specifically because was thinking of the Cosmic Intervention / Brought Back package with fetches / lotus lands / scorched ruins. Ramping heavily with those (including Mistveil Plains) and then eventually having all the Akido cards at your fingertips seems sweet.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 1 year ago

Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
Do you mess around with this deck anymore? I was pondering what I thought the best Sunforger deck might be, and I thought of this one.

Specifically because was thinking of the Cosmic Intervention / Brought Back package with fetches / lotus lands / scorched ruins. Ramping heavily with those (including Mistveil Plains) and then eventually having all the Akido cards at your fingertips seems sweet.
Definitely do, though I haven't tracked changes to it for a while. That sounds good, but Sunforger is 7 mana to get to the first activation, so I don't know if I'd want to base a ramp package around it, but those are all worthwhile cards on their own.

Chromaticus

Yeah, more thinking of - hey, it's late game, no one did anything worth activating Sunforger for - let me crack this fetch I've been holding.

Also, I have never seen The Initiative and The Monarch going at the same time. Surely this is the deck for it?

yeti1069

Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
Yeah, more thinking of - hey, it's late game, no one did anything worth activating Sunforger for - let me crack this fetch I've been holding.

Also, I have never seen The Initiative and The Monarch going at the same time. Surely this is the deck for it?
My experience with Sunforger has been that I don't want to activate Sunforger unless I either a) have something in hand that can protect it, or b) need to activate it based on the game state (finding an answer). Most opponents will remove it at the first opportunity, and in response to an activation is generally the best bet. That said, with both Brought Back and Intervention being pretty decent cards on their own, and good Sunforger targets in general, having this available is decent. My problem is that I already feel like there are 4-5 cards I really want in my Sunforger "package" but can't fit due to deck space.

Also, ramp-wise, most of the time you're probably better off Sunforgering for Enlightened Tutor--> Smothering Tithe. It generates more hate than the fetch recursion plan probably would, but it also is the gift that keeps on giving.

With most of my games being played on Spelltable, I find it difficult to track both Monarch and Initiative in the same game for the table (my experience from having both come up in other games). Doable, but difficult. Also, the deck is on the lighter side of creature density, and with few very high-impact critters, so the payoff for The Undercity isn't as high as it might be elsewhere. Still, I am often able to keep the Monarch for most of the game, in which case Initiative becomes a huge bonus. If I were to go that route, I'd most likely include White Plume Adventurer and maybe Seasoned Dungeoneer. Not sure of any others that would warrant inclusion here.

I encourage you to try out the deck with these pieces in play and report back!

Also, I'll note that I lean a little heavily into goad after having too many games where no amount of politicking nor logic could dissuade attacks against me, even when there were obviously larger threats. Playing on Spelltable a lot also lends itself more toward goad than politics, since it's harder to politic when you aren't at a table together. If that's not your situation (and if you've a silver tongue), you could swap some of those slots for other things.

Chromaticus

I imagine this is a deck that will want Reprieve — I also noticed that you're not running Anguished Unmaking and you are running Utter End. Budget consideration, or do you find it that much more flexible?

yeti1069

Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
I imagine this is a deck that will want Reprieve — I also noticed that you're not running Anguished Unmaking and you are running Utter End. Budget consideration, or do you find it that much more flexible?
Reprieve is a possibility here. It competes with Lapse of Certainty, which I'm also not running yet, Either of those could replace TIbalt's Trickery, although there is a notable difference between a hard counter and one that either puts the spell back in hand or on top of library. That's a slot I could stand to play around with more.

Unmaking vs Utter End came down to which I had a spare copy of (AU is in a couple other decks already), and figured if I have a fair shot of casting one of them off Sunforger, the difference in mana cost doesn't matter, so I might as well skip the life loss. That said AU is the clearly better choice.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

As much as I am a huge fan of Reprieve I think if you are not combo-finishing it's not a very good card.

(kinda how hard control shells in Modern/Legacy don't run Remand but tempo decks like Twin did)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”