Muldrotha PW combo

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I am not sure why, but for a while I have had the idea of making a Muldrotha, the Gravetide deck with the goal of ultimating planeswalkers.

Here is my preliminary decklist
Decklist

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Main combo is to self mill, then with Muldrotha cast Animate Dead, or flashback Dread Return targeting Scholar of the Lost Trove to cast Command the Dreadhorde to bring back planeswalkers and Deepglow Skate, ultimating my planeswalkers for what should hopefully be a win.

Muldrotha adds a lot of redundancy. I can cast Eternal Witness to get Command the Dreadhorde, for Example. The idea is that I just mill as much as I can and then I should be able to assemble the combo.

I also noticed that with Kaya's Ghostform targeting Muldrotha, Phyrexian Altar and Lotus Petal I can make infinite mana and cast all the permanents in my graveyard. I have 3 creatures that could let this combo mill my whole deck to win off of my main combo.

I am looking for feedback, suggestions and first impressions.
Last edited by Dunharrow 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 2 years ago

It feels pretty slow for what you're trying to do:

Cards I find questionable even though they are generally solid cards:
This deck really isn't trying to be a stax deck. It feels as if you're trying to do too much. Rather, I think these cards would be better as

Talisman of Curiosity (and companions)

The reason is that it feels like one well placed graveyard removal spell and you're done, that's it. These speed you up a little bit and help with the mana fix even more. Alternatively, a little more survivability like Spore Frog would be good.

You're a command the dreadhorde combo deck, but the stuff you're trying to reanimate is quite expensive in terms of life. Cards that would be helpful would be Platinum Emperion , Elderscale Wurm , and possibly Platinum Angel . The first two work exactly like you think they would meaning that you can go to town with command the dreadhorde and don't lose all of your life. Platinum angel is not as good as the other two, but still would do the job.

I see 3 basic lands. Where is Hermit Druid ?

Dunharrow

lol Hermit Druid is supposed to be on the list, did I accidentally delete it?
Platinum Emperion is pretty solid, thanks for the tip.
I will cut Birthing Pod for sure.

Since I don't want to just tutor for the combo every game I want multiple paths to victory. I like Smokestack in this regard. Time will tell if that is a bad choice though. Maybe i would be better with another PW instead?

I want my deck to grind until I combo. Racing with more ramp is not really where I want to be, I think.

Dunharrow

added Hermit Druid and Platinum Emperion
cut Birthing Pod and Sorin Markov. Sorin has a good ultimate but not necessarily game winning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”