Stella Lee: Shoot to Thrill!

pzbw7z
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pzbw7z » 1 day ago

This is the first draft of a high-power, Stella Lee, Wild Card deck. I'm pretty excited to try it out. There are a few more cards still in the mail, but with any luck, it'll be ready this week.

There are some questions; I'm not at all sure the spell discounters are necessary, given the deck's fairly low mana curve. The pingers that trigger only on cast also seem dubious. There is still a spell or two that probably don't belong, in particular I'm thinking about the new Lock and Load. It's such a cool name, though, I want to keep it.

EDIT: Token makers are out. On-cast pingers are out .See change log.

Also, how did I forget Merchant Scroll? Personal Tutor also seems good as does Spellseeker. Simian Spirit Guide was another oversight. /EDIT

There are a couple of cards I'd like to have and one glaring oversight; the latter is Mystical Tutor. I just haven't decided what to cut for it. In the first category, in particular I'm thinking of Storm-Kiln Artist; I didn't include him due to his casting cost but that may be sort sighted. I also really want to include Slick Sequence just because Stella is in the art. :) Baral, Chief of Compliance will perhaps replace Haughty Djinn for now, when he comes in the mail, or but he will perhaps join the rest of those spell reducers back in the collection.

Any way, here it is and I'd love to hear any thoughts about the issues I've raised or any thing else.

Shoot to Thrill

Commander

Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

Change log
Show
Hide
Lightning Bolt - Electrostatic Field. Bolt is just solid. In particular, it removes Drannith Magistrate. That's worth the price of admission.
Shore Up - Third Path Iconoclast. Shore Up goes off with Stella for magecraft triggers, but mostly it gives her hexproof.
Slick Sequence - Young Pyromancer. I like Slick Sequence; Stella is featured in the art. :)
Twitch - Guttersnipe - Twitch is another spell that just draws the whole deck with Stella's second ability.
Baral. Chief of Compliance - Haughty Djinn. One less U pip for the relevant (?) abillity. The Djinn would probably be better in a more casual deck.
Fellwar Stone - Overmaster - Overmaster is really just another cantrip. Fellwar is a staple.
Veyran, Voice of Duality - Spellseeker. Spellseeker is more impactful.
Last edited by pzbw7z 7 hours ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 9 hours ago

My suggestions are going to be to drive you towards the highest power rather than any fun themes you had in mind.

Mana is your bottleneck and I would go haaaard into making sure that you can keep the flow going. You really want to be able to cast 3 spells each turn.
Frantic Search, Snap, Pyretic Ritual, Desperate Ritual, Rite of Flame, Jeska's Will.

Cheap counter spells Mental Misstep, Dispel, Daze, Flusterstorm.

Interaction; Submerge, Mogg Salvage, March of Swirling Mist.

Artifacts that help; Urza's Bauble, Talisman of Creativity, Jeweled Amulet.

I am confused by the Cunning Sparkmage and Vulshok Sorcerer?
You can infinite untaps of specifically Stella Lee, Wild Card combined with Claim the Firstborn/Cerulean Wisps/Twisted Fealty/Shore Up/Triton Tactics/Refocus/Twitch untapping her and copying those spells again.
Twisted Fealty has an inbuilt win con. Cerulean Wisps, Refocus, Twitch can draw your whole deck.
Claim the Firstborn, Triton Tactics and Shore Up are the worst of them. Shore Up can make Stella infinitely large, but you still have to get in combat damage. Claim the Firstborn and Triton Tactics do nothing on their own unless specifically used with some other cast/copy trigger.

I guess you can combine Triton Tactics with Cunning Sparkmage/Vulshok Sorcerer but this is extremely narrow.

Infuse is a delayed Twitch but might be good enough? Drawing most of your deck in opponents turn is still going to win you the game 90% of the time. *Hint when you can afford Force of Will and Force of Negation that'll help with this plan*
Involuntary Employment is a way to make infinite treasures.

Dramatic Reversal, Hidden Strings, Turnabout, Toils of Night and Day are all cards that can be used with other things that tap for benefits.
Note Dramatic Reversal can be used to give infinite mana with artifacts. You can draw your deck with Sensei's Divining Top.

Seize the Day gives you infinite attacks, which is realistically not where your deck is at.

I've suggested cards and I'd definitely play 15 of those. So what to cut?
If you count actual spells that benefit from Baral, Chief of Compliance, Goblin Electromancer, Thunderclap Drake it is only 16 cards, which is low.
In general your creatures are the weakest things in the deck.
Jori En, Ruin Diver does cost 3 mana and you are looking to only get probably a card a turn round, so a bad Phyrexian Arena (which is mud slow in high power).
Veyran, Voice of Duality I get it triggers Stella Lee, but it is a 3 mana investment and it doesn't even help you with the combo cards as they are winning already or do nothing almost like Claim the Firstborn, Triton Tactics and Shore Up. With evasion in the deck the +1/+1 isn't good.
Spellskite just another creature that dies to removal.
Cunning Sparkmage, Vulshok Sorcerer for the chop.

Then of other spells; Recoup, Lock and Load, Galvanic Iteration, Negate, Radical Idea, Think Twice, Curse of the Swine, Crimson Wisps, Expedite.
Crimson Wisps and Expedite are fine cantrips, but the haste is unlikely to give you the value you are hoping for, because casting Stella and then these AND an additional spell is going be the rare case.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”