Zedruu the Greatest of All Time

Sefir
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sefir » 3 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
Ah, right, because I'd need to put Banishing Knack on a creature other than Kiki-Jiki (probably the original Cav) to be able to repeat the Mox to trigger Ascendancy, and that's 5 cards. Well, I suppose I could have Infinite Reflection in one of these two "wildcard" slots and still be able to make a sea of golems.

I don't really mind some combos being 5 cards for me instead of 4. Mostly I'm hesitant about the Petal because outside of a combo I expect it to just be a 1-mana ritual and done, whereas the Mox can be ramp.
The Jeskai Ascendancy/Petal/Kiki/Cavalier needs exactly those pieces for the loop (Infinite Ascendancy looting and pumping, Infinite Mana, Infinite-albeit hasteless-golems)
The Banishing Knack/Jeskai ascendancy/something that gives neutral or positive mana (Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Pentad Prism) doesnt need specifically Kiki, just a creature to target with the Knack for the infinite loop. (Infinite Ascendancy looting and pumping). This is why it is one of the eassiest combos to accomplice in this deck. It has the fewest requirements in terms of total mana and one of the combo pieces can literally be in your command zone to grab (Zedruu).
However. After trying a lot with the Petal, it is exactly as you say. I never count it as a mana ramp and it is useless as a gift (as opposed to an empty Chrome Mox f.e.). Outside of a combo, sometimes it can give an extra push, but that's it. In the end, I kept both the Petal and the Mox in my deck.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Teneb, the Harvester AntiBlack Pestilence
Dakkon Blackblade Control
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain
Minsc, Beloved Ranger Win(nie)s
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis Dredge/Reanimator
Hans Eriksson Smash

Tags:

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

What can I say, I'm a sucker for rituals, and I've very much enjoyed Petal being a better ritual.

Different topic:Brash Taunter has felt great. Wherever I land, that one's sticking for a long, long time. I wish the flavor was as good as Stuffy Doll, but I'll live with the card being aces.

Heliod, Sun-Crowned has felt passable. I got to lifelink an Inferno Titan for multiple turns, which is something Jeskai Charm doesn't do on it's own. Even better, I donated Heliod to a mono-red player once, and like that's more resilient a donation than a Darksteel Ingot. It sat there all game, untouchable. That's not bad.

With regards to unreleased cards, I did some pretend goldfishing with the new red flippy cards, and I might be off Toralf, God of Fury. I had the sad realization that comboing with front half may by annoyingly unwieldy, but turning him into oppressively repeatable Plague Wind with his buddy Sakashima the Impostor isn't, and that's really not the play pattern I'm here to sign up for. There are other cards that combo the way the back half does, things like Flickering Ward or Hypervolt Grasp,, I was excited to get a modular card where both modes go silly, but I misidentified the front. I saw it like Repercussion, a silly card that makes games end quickly and dramatically, and it's much more likely to just kill all the creatures and planeswalkers which is the opposite of fast and dramatic.

Birgi, God of Storytelling has a strong back half, no surprises there.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

I did end up ordering a Heliod, as I know that'll enable those couple of extra combos, though hopefully I'll get some action and value plays from Archangel before doing the swap.

Flash Venser is staying until I get Banishing Knack (though I still want to perform a combo with him, too), and with the way I've arranged my cuts and adds I managed to keep not only Chrome Mox and Strionic Resonator, but also Sudden Substitution and Nahiri's Wrath. I'd have to cut a land that could potentially produce 3+ colors (or Thespian's Stage) to squeeze Spectator Seating in, so only 2/3 of that triplet at the moment. I really thought about Mystic Monastery, but Zedruu is a monk and I might feel bad about that.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

lyonhaert

So in trying to tag combos in my Moxfield version of the deck and reading the combos in the OP again, I noticed something with Eye of the Storm + Echo Storm + Mind's Desire + Mirror of Fate and wanted to double-check that I understand this right. It seems to be suggesting that, without prior storm count, you'd be able to resolve an Echo Storm to copy Mirror and then resolve two instances of Mind's Desire but I don't think that's quite accurate.

If Echo Storm is already in the Eye and we only have one Mirror of Fate on the field before casting Mind's Desire:
  • We cast Desire.
  • Storm trigger and Eye trigger go on the stack.
  • If storm count was zero prior to this, no copies of Desire.
  • Eye trigger resolving: exiles Desire and copies Desire and Echo and we can cast them. Let's say we cast Desire and then cast Echo.
But since we cast those spells as part of resolving Eye's trigger, the Desire and Echo triggers don't go on the stack until after, right?

If we did cast Zedruu, since we can stack the Echo and Desire triggers (stack: bottom, Desire, Echo, Desire storm copier, Echo copier, top) we can have the Echo's copier resolve first to make a copy of Mirror to activate before resolving instances of Desire.

But if we somehow haven't cast Zedruu then we end up with that storm copy of Desire that would resolve before we can resolve the single instance of Echo to copy the Mirror, then the instance of Desire cast from Eye. But we can just resolve that storm copy of Desire and get a random thing to maybe cast (let's say we don't yet), make the copy of Mirror, activate it to put Desire's card as the top of whatever else, and then resolve that last instance of Desire to re-cast Desire and it all still works. Yeah? It's just initially Desire-Echo-Desire instead of Echo-Desire-Desire?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
So in trying to tag combos in my Moxfield version of the deck and reading the combos in the OP again, I noticed something with Eye of the Storm + Echo Storm + Mind's Desire + Mirror of Fate and wanted to double-check that I understand this right. It seems to be suggesting that, without prior storm count, you'd be able to resolve an Echo Storm to copy Mirror and then resolve two instances of Mind's Desire but I don't think that's quite accurate.

If Echo Storm is already in the Eye and we only have one Mirror of Fate on the field before casting Mind's Desire:
  • We cast Desire.
  • Storm trigger and Eye trigger go on the stack.
  • If storm count was zero prior to this, no copies of Desire.
  • Eye trigger resolving: exiles Desire and copies Desire and Echo and we can cast them. Let's say we cast Desire and then cast Echo.
But since we cast those spells as part of resolving Eye's trigger, the Desire and Echo triggers don't go on the stack until after, right?

If we did cast Zedruu, since we can stack the Echo and Desire triggers (stack: bottom, Desire, Echo, Desire storm copier, Echo copier, top) we can have the Echo's copier resolve first to make a copy of Mirror to activate before resolving instances of Desire.

But if we somehow haven't cast Zedruu then we end up with that storm copy of Desire that would resolve before we can resolve the single instance of Echo to copy the Mirror, then the instance of Desire cast from Eye. But we can just resolve that storm copy of Desire and get a random thing to maybe cast (let's say we don't yet), make the copy of Mirror, activate it to put Desire's card as the top of whatever else, and then resolve that last instance of Desire to re-cast Desire and it all still works. Yeah? It's just initially Desire-Echo-Desire instead of Echo-Desire-Desire?
Yes, you are 100% correct. I will have to rephrase that a touch. And if I still have Rest in Peace in whenever I figure out the current iteration, I was gonna have to do that anyway, so even better!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

With regards to the new cards, I'm going to pass on Tibalt's Trickery and Toralf, God of Fury, and I would say I'm still workshopping Birgi, God of Storytelling and Orvar, the All-Form, but I'd like to talk about Orvar, the All-Form for a bit.

Why do I want this card to work? Because I'm convinced it can turn Knowledge Pool and Possibility Storm into 4 card combo pieces. I'm almost there with Possibility Storm: With P-Storm, Orvar, and Venser, Shaper Savant in play, and sufficient mana, any instant or sorcery that can target Venser can make a copy of Venser, bounce the spell, and still pull a matching spell type out of the deck. So, for example, with like 10 blue mana, I can cast Banishing Knack to cast every instant in the deck. And since this process is a "may" on every spell and never changes the order these spells appear, you can decline a spell and keep going to order the instants the way you want deterministically, given enough mana. So all I need is a way to set up an infinite loop, given the effective ability to tutor spells out of my deck.

Let's say I figure out how to do that. What would I want to change in the deck to support Orvar? Well, if you look at what people are doing with Orvar elsewhere, there's a lot of focus on buyback. One card of particular note is Clockspinning, as it targets any permanent. In this deck in particular, that could set up a 4-card combo with Unbender Tine and either Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx or Sanctum of the Sun (both of which, funnily enough, avoid 3-card combo territory by virtue of being legendary). A card with buyback also combos with Jeskai Ascendancy the same way I wanted the back of Toralf to, which is a thought I've had in the past. I know it's a thought I've had in the past, because every time I've considered Clockspinning, I've thought "hey, I could pay 4 mana to put another counter on Walking Archive, oh wait, nevermind." I'm sure Myojin of Seeing Winds had something to do with me considering Clockspinning, but then, much like now, I don't think a single legendary creature that plays well with a card is enough justification. But it might be worth thinking about.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

@lyonhaert : I haven't finished moving words around just yet, but I think the cut is Sudden Substitution. I took stock of my own deck based on the metrics I laid out for building Zedruu in the thread and found I have:
  • 20 donation contributors (trade effects, global effects, do nothing permanents, or token makers) of recommended 15-20
  • 18 card draw effects of a recommended 15-20
  • Approximately half the deck reasonably makes mana as recommended
  • 18 pieces of targeted interaction of a recommended 10+
  • 8 globally disruptive/chaotic effects of a recommended 6+
  • Add those together, 26 total disruptive elements
  • 7 or 8 cards that double a resource of recommended 6+
  • 4 or 5 cards that tend to chain together exponentially increasing resources of recommended 3 or 4
  • Nearly the entire deck is combo pieces.
And like half the deck satisfies multiple criteria on top of being combo pieces. So looking from that perspective, I can stand to lose anything as a cut, but the category I'm most over the minimum is disruption. Considering my disruption spells and not breaking any existing combos, I don't necessarily need Jeskai Charm, Firestorm, and Rest in Peace are all disruption that are redundant in their combos, but they're all also pretty unique role-fillers outside of the designated categories. Sudden Substitution isn't a combo piece, but it's disruption that donates. If I consider all of these on equal footing and look for a tie-breaker, Substitution loses based on mana cost. It already costs the most of those 4, but often I'm casting it as 6-10 mana depending on what I'm trying to donate.

The other option is bump back down a land since I technically have 2 more than I used to, but I love the math of 33 dedicated lands in 99 and about 50 ways to make mana in 100. The land to cut would be Reliquary Tower, and I still might swap that out in the near future, but ideally for another land.

lyonhaert

Yeah, probably not a land. Based on stuff a couple pages ago, I guess you tried without Reliquary Tower for a bit and put it back in?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, probably not a land. Based on stuff a couple pages ago, I guess you tried without Reliquary Tower for a bit and put it back in?
I haven't missed Reliquary Tower, per se. I've got so many lands that pull double duty now, another one that just plays and taps for mana feels like a good add. Reliquary Tower is kinda nice to test with because I both like having my fancy shiny promo-reliquary tower in play and I still get a sense of if my color producing lands are incorrectly balanced.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Ok, I finished updating to current list. Some of the listed changes have been in the deck for almost a year before getting added into the primer, one is so new I'm playing a proxied copy, but the list of ins and outs is below:

-Path of Ancestry
-Riptide Laboratory
-Gemstone Caverns
-Phyrexian Metamorph
-Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage
-Venser, Shaper Savant
-Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier
-Chrome Mox
-Thought Vessel
-Vedalken Orrery
-Dictate of Kruphix
-Infinite Reflection
-Sudden Substitution
-Vanish into Memory
-Political Trickery
-Throes of Chaos

+Raugrin Triome
+Thespians' Stage
+Kwain, Itinerant Meddler
+Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty
+Heliod, Sun-Crowned
+Brash Taunter
+Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
+Lotus Petal
+Rest in Peace
+Banishing Knack
+Electrodominance
+Narset's Reversal
+Chaos Warp
+Shatterskull Smashing // Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass
+Emeria's Call // Emeria, Shattered Skyclave
+Sea Gate Restoration // Sea Gate, Reborn

lyonhaert

Haha, I have yet to get a copy of Birgi. Going to be a popular card. Did get a hold of Knack and Heliod, though. On lands I might see about completing a triplet with finding a spot for Spectator Seating.

I was looking for a way I might cheat the flip of Azor's Gateway in Chainer and accidently rediscovered the Saheeli, Sublime Artificer and Golden Guardian way to do so. It's been a while.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
I was looking for a way I might cheat the flip of Azor's Gateway in Chainer and accidently rediscovered the Saheeli, Sublime Artificer and Golden Guardian way to do so. It's been a while.
I don't think mono-black has the tools to cheat on that, but you might be able to turbo untap it with a dross scorpion if you've got a lot of artifact stuff going on.

lyonhaert

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
I don't think mono-black has the tools to cheat on that, but you might be able to turbo untap it with a dross scorpion if you've got a lot of artifact stuff going on.
I might try a build like that some day. Mirage Mirror also helps on additional activations (or repeating the other parts of the effect without flipping).
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Sefir

Congratz on the big update of the Primer. It was very much needed. Many changes were made throughout all this time.......

I also have to ask about the Precursion Golem/Chaos Warp/Mirror of Fate/Echo Storm combo: Why the Sakashima combo should be the preffered setup? The Kiki/Unbender Tine/March of the Machines/Pandemonium one f.e. doesn't care about the order things come into play.....
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
3 years ago
Congratz on the big update of the Primer. It was very much needed. Many changes were made throughout all this time.......

I also have to ask about the Precursion Golem/Chaos Warp/Mirror of Fate/Echo Storm combo: Why the Sakashima combo should be the preffered setup? The Kiki/Unbender Tine/March of the Machines/Pandemonium one f.e. doesn't care about the order things come into play.....
There's a very important reason for that: I'm dumb sometimes.

I carried over my first write-up of that combo from the thread, and Kiki wasn't in the deck yet when I wrote it, so I'm gonna go switch that now.

Sefir

So, any good card from Strixhaven for Zedruu? I feel like many cards are so close, but just can't make it......
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
3 years ago
So, any good card from Strixhaven for Zedruu? I feel like many cards are so close, but just can't make it......
I agree. There are 3 different kinds of "just not quites" in this set.

1) Cards I could play that are just not quite what I'm looking for. Like Mercurial Transformation might not look like much, but the ability to turn noncreature permanents into creatures does funny things with cards like Mirrorweave, since the effect of Transformation isn't carried over to the copies, you get copies of the original card. If this card was an aura, that would be removal and donation target, I'd probably play it. I expect someday that card will exist, but this isn't it. Big Izzet spells also sound like fun, but then you look at them, and they just don't scale to multiplayer correctly. Cards with magecraft all snag my attention for about 5 seconds before I realize they're all such minor effects. Well, with one exception:

2) Freaking simic spells that I can't play. I don't get to play the silly blue bomb that magecrafts into more spells in my Eye of the Storm deck because that card is also green. 0/0 creatures are always on my radar (again, a Mirrorweave consideration), and all the silliest fractal cards also require green, the only monoblue fractal so far is a bad card that plays extra poorly in my deck. Double Major just has to be exploitable, but it's green so who cares. Stupid green cards with your green mana.

3) All the boros legends. It's not a secret that I'd like exactly 1 legend in boros, izzet, and azorius. I'm really happy with 2 of those right now, it's just boros that's missing, and we just got a variety pack of "I don't think that's good enough" boros legends. Plargg, Dean of Chaos is a 2 mana rummager, with basically Throes of Chaos as an ability. It's better than Throes in it doesn't require discard to do, and most of the legends at that cost aren't what I'm digging for, but it's worse at 5 mana and a tap and it isn't a sorcery itself to trigger things. If the back did anything I cared about, I might be excited, but it really doesn't. Mila, Crafty Companion is a neat card, also low mana value. The card draw ability is great, because it works against targeted answers which is the way to beat my Zedruu. The back being a planeswalker is cool, with both card draw and hasty recursion. But like, neither side in a vacuum would ever have my attention, it's only because of the color identity that I care, and that's not a good sign. Hofri Ghostforge could probably be some kind of combo piece, but Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier or Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero are already similar "save my things once"/combo piece cards that I'm not playing. And like, I'm not looking for a 5-drop, I want my non-kiki legends to be cheap early game creatures, and my bombs to be non-legends so I can clone them. Velomachus Lorehold is a neat card that I can't really take advantage of on a legendary 7-drop. My remaining hope lies with Commander 21: I'd rather another legend that costs less than Zedruu, but Osgir, the Reconstructor is potentially ramp, so not bad early, and works great with Mirror of Fate and Knowledge Pool, but that's all at the risk of being a 4-mana legendary do nothing some of the time. I think there should be a couple alternate commanders in that product too, so I'm being patient for now.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

We got the Boros deck spoiled, and my dreams weren't answered as far as an inexpensive legend, so I guess I'm putting more of my hope in Plargg, Dean of Chaos. I should stop being a baby about not using the backside and find a way to make it work like the good old days.

OTOH, the other cards from that deck have some sweet tools. Excavation Technique is removal that can potentially ritual for me. With Saheeli, Sublime Artificer and Eye of the Storm, I can make 2 treasures with every instant of sorcery. That's sort of infinite with Strionic Resonator if I wanted to count that. And I like both the flavor and mechanics of demostrate, I look forward to 2 more of those to look at.

Cursed Mirror is a 3-mana haste clone that rituals with Crystalline Crawler, triggers Saheeli, Sublime Artificer and Jeskai Ascendancy, is reclaimable with Cavalier of Dawn, interacts nicely with either Plargg, Dean of Chaos or Osgir, the Reconstructor if I settle on one of those, clones other people's stuff (which is rare at 3 mana), allows Mirrormade to temporarily clone creatures, and leaves you with a mana rock. I don't know yet if I have space for Cursed Mirror, but I will call it now that the card is fantastic.

Ruin Grinder goes in my rakdos deck. Basically, I'm buying the whole precon, no question about it.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
We got the Boros deck spoiled, and my dreams weren't answered as far as an inexpensive legend, so I guess I'm putting more of my hope in Plargg, Dean of Chaos. I should stop being a baby about not using the backside and find a way to make it work like the good old days.
My first thought is that Augusta, Dean of Order does a bootleg Jeskai Ascendancy impersonation with extra combats, rather than non-creature spells. There's two routes I can think of to try and take advantage of that, either via spells or Aggravated Assault. Spells would likely require Eye of the Storm to even approach going infinite, but there is a cute interaction between Precursor Golem and Seize the Day, especially since Augusta can ensure the golems all untap between the various combat phases, which is usually the limiting factor on that interaction. And Aggravated Assault would go infinite with 5 mana from creatures, Augusta, and itself, so I'm not sure how close that skirts to the 4 card rule.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
My first thought is that Augusta, Dean of Order does a bootleg Jeskai Ascendancy impersonation with extra combats, rather than non-creature spells. There's two routes I can think of to try and take advantage of that, either via spells or Aggravated Assault. Spells would likely require Eye of the Storm to even approach going infinite, but there is a cute interaction between Precursor Golem and Seize the Day, especially since Augusta can ensure the golems all untap between the various combat phases, which is usually the limiting factor on that interaction. And Aggravated Assault would go infinite with 5 mana from creatures, Augusta, and itself, so I'm not sure how close that skirts to the 4 card rule.
Well, when you put it that way, it does untap combo with Strionic Resonator/March of the Machines/mana rocks, doesn't it? It's a lot less good at that than Jeskai Ascendancy, but it's technically there.

Aggravated Assault doesn't need Augusta to combo, 5 mana: untap your creatures already isn't safe. Also, extra turns are like extra combats, so there might be something along these lines without the extra combat spells specifically.

Sefir

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
Just a reminder that this is yet another "kinda mediocre" card that.......can go infinite when used with MOM and something like Alhammaret's Archive. A testament to MOM's brokeness.

EDIT: Perhaps Rootha, Mercurial Artist deserves some spotlight? There are 2 4-card combos with her. One with Turnabout and Vedalken Orray/Leyline of Anticipation/Raff Capashen as another variation of the Bonus Round/Narset's Reversal/Turnabout combo. And the other as a mean to copy the Arcbond in the Taunter/Arcbond/clone of Taunter/copy of Arcbond combo.

EDIT 2: There MUST be some kind of combo with Conspiracy Theorist. The card just begs to be used here.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
3 years ago
EDIT: Perhaps Rootha, Mercurial Artist deserves some spotlight? There are 2 4-card combos with her. One with Turnabout and Vedalken Orray/Leyline of Anticipation/Raff Capashen as another variation of the Bonus Round/Narset's Reversal/Turnabout combo. And the other as a mean to copy the Arcbond in the Taunter/Arcbond/clone of Taunter/copy of Arcbond combo.

EDIT 2: There MUST be some kind of combo with Conspiracy Theorist. The card just begs to be used here.
I would say yes, Rootha does do all that and deserves a mention. In my initial reaction, I was slightly put off by only copying my own spells, but Bonus Round has the same situation and I've not really questioned that. I'll wrack my brain and make sure I can't break it further than the situations you've mentioned before any try-outs.

I don't see anything with Conspiracy Theorist. It would be nice with Jeskai Ascendancy to maintain a fixed number of cards in hand, sort of like the draw doublers did, but outside of that, I think it would require major changes to do something meaningful. And unless an opponent is without blockers for a long time, it doesn't really do anything alone.

Looking at the simic reveals we got, it seems the commander decks herad my complaints about magecraft and fractal tokens from a few days ago, and now there's this:

That is a powerhouse of an army in a can. That is Mind's Desire making multiple 6/6s. That not only would give me a 0/0 to target with Mirrorweave for a boardwipe, it would leave a standing army behind big enough to take people out of the game after their creatures die. Or imagine Mirrorweave targets Crystalline Crawler, and now you've got like 30 mana to play with. That's just silly with Eye of the Storm. Is it a must play? Nope, because 5 mana is a big number for a 3/3 with no immediate effect, but I'm definitely going to try it.

And then there's the most likely addition out of all the cards being printed:

Again, this card also only targets things I control, but it targets lands! And enchantments! It's very difficult for me to imagine not flipping this out for Echo Storm, particularly since Echo Storm hitting opponent's artifacts has been more relevant when using other people's mana rocks for ramp, and this can copy my lands. And enchantments. And planeswalkers, why not? Go to town!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago

...flipping this out for Echo Storm...
This^

I did some goldfishing, and just imagined that Echo Storm was Replication Technique instead. It's. so. much. better. And like, I know it gives opponents stuff, and sometimes I just did the demonstrate without even pretending to account for that, but more often than not there will be an opponent I'm willing to target, especially if I'm just winning. And this card, just like, it's so good.

I can clone Possibility Storm through Possibility Storm with just this card. Cast, trigger, target with the copy, blamo! Double PS Power! Echo Storm did that with Knowledge Pool, but now I can do it with both! I knew I could do this before goldfishing, I was just excited to see it pop up so soon.

The other scenario I goldfished my way into was Replication Technique in Eye of the Storm, and that ended super fast, cause it can clone things that draw cards, and things with colored symbols, and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. For the sake of integrity, I was just using it as a single copy spell, and it goes bonkers in EotS. But wait, there's more! I had a ton of white mana from my many Nykthos' (yes, legendary, not all at once) because I was making Cavalier of Dawn copies, and that was an "aha!" moment for me. Cast Replication Technique, trigger demonstrate, copy the spell, target Cavalier with the copy, stare down the chosen opponent. Power move! (I believe their copy of the spell resolves first out of the three, assuming it's my turn, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Like, man, I'm a fan in a big way, and I haven't even gotten to try politics with it yet.

Sefir

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago

I did some goldfishing, and just imagined that Echo Storm was Replication Technique instead. It's. so. much. better. And like, I know it gives opponents stuff, and sometimes I just did the demonstrate without even pretending to account for that, but more often than not there will be an opponent I'm willing to target, especially if I'm just winning. And this card, just like, it's so good.
Like, man, I'm a fan in a big way, and I haven't even gotten to try politics with it yet.
I also did some playtest with it (I use untap.in) and I believe it is very important to mention that the more powerful cards you run, the more powerful Replication Technique becomes. F.e. if you run cards like Smothering Tithe or Paradox Haze, the game can get out of control VERY fast.
100% superior to Echo Storm and the gift to an opponent does not really matter.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 2 years ago

Ok. Math time.
Mirrorweave to Precursion Golem with 10 creatures on my side, play Pandemonium, play Rootha, play Replication Tecnique targeting the Precursion Golem with Demonstrate (I choose my Skullbriar opponent that only had 1 creatures, so that I will be safe from any Pandemonium dmg) and copy it again with Rootha targeting again with the copy my Precursion Golem. How many golems are made and is it enough Pandemonium dmg to kill my opponents if their lives are at 54, 27, 15?

EDIT: Comments like "this deck gave me a headache and it is only Sunday morning" should be received as high praise. :)
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles