General Ferrous Rokiric

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

So, when it comes to General Ferrous Rokiric there were a few things I picked up on that I decided to look into with the build:
  • Multicolored - The synergy to make 4/4s for every multicolored spell I cast was the first thing I looked into. My starting draft had a whole bunch of random spells that seemed sub optimal as I continued on. I ended up cutting them way back because while Lightning Helix making a 4/4 is not bad, it doesn't make it what I would call premium removal for this format and I ended up prioritizing the multicolored spells that seemed worth casting on their own merit rather than including a bunch of what I considered borderline ones.
  • Evasion - Protection from mono colored gives protection from a lot of tokens and etb creatures. From there I decided that Swords of X and Y giving two colors of protection are often going to give me evasion in a lot of cases to get past commanders. Given that I was looking into a bunch of equipment already I started looking into things like double strike and I sprinkled in a few extra combat tricks too.
  • Hard to Spot Remove - I didn't really go any deeper into this one but I realized that a lot of the premium spot removal for creatures in this format is mono colored. That isn't to say that there aren't multicolored spot removal that can hit him but there is a lot less means of destroying, transforming, or stealing that can hit him.
  • Sweepers - Again the protection from mono colored coming to the rescue. This means that I can use mono red damage sweepers and they won't kill the commander. I didn't lean into this all that hard but I prioritized them primarily as my means of sweeping the board.
I guess this would be my rough first take on it. I don't know if I will play this list or not but I was kicking it around and I felt like I wanted to get it out there just in case anyone else was interested. Voltronish decks that prioritize not allowing blockers can be kind of a mean thing to do to a playgroup so in a lot of cases I have a hard time playing voltron because it sometimes feels like you are just goldfishing on your own which nobody seems to love experiencing.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Seems pretty good with Pyrohemia
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

I'll point out that General Ferrous Rokiric has hexproof from monocolored, not protection. So, no evasion or damage prevention, which means you don't have any damage-based sweepter synergies. Dodging spot removal is still great though.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
I'll point out that General Ferrous Rokiric has hexproof from monocolored, not protection. So, no evasion or damage prevention, which means you don't have any damage-based sweepter synergies. Dodging spot removal is still great though.
Well, it isn't the first time and won't be the last time I botch reading the card. It probably doesn't help that I looked at it once or twice then shelved something and misinterpreted/ forgot what exactly something did.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Well, it isn't the first time and won't be the last time I botch reading the card. It probably doesn't help that I looked at it once or twice then shelved something and misinterpreted/ forgot what exactly something did.
Ha, I also had to double check - protection from X is so ingrained in me (and hexproof from X so new) that I was half-convinced you had it right, even after rereading the card. On the plus side your opponents would likely also misread it a few times.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”