Tatyova "Oops no rares"

Igzex
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Ever since I saw Tatyova I always just wanted to make an EDH deck that had no rares in and it kinda worked out pretty well for me. The deck does all the usual simic things you loath and wins either through a token swarm or because I drew my whole deck with Lab Man out...Except none of it has golden expansion symbols. Due to the vast pool of common and uncommon cards that are available I'm definitely on the look out for other gems hidden under the more bombastic rarer cards.
Oops no rares!
Approximate Total Cost:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 2 years ago

Wild Growth, Utopia Sprawl, Fertile Ground over Arcane Signet, Simic Signet, Thought Vessel as you can get more benefits from untapping lands with Stone-Seeder Hierophant, plus just more robust against artifact hate.

Search for Tomorrow, Nature's Lore, Rampant Growth, Three Visits are all uncommon/common. I'd play these personally.
Crop Rotation is another great one with Tatyova.

Perilous Forays has some nice synergy with tokens. With Zendikar's Roil and Sporemound you basically just get to spend 1 to search for a land as a token gets created each time.

Additionally Skyshroud Ranger makes Retreat to Coralhelm more effective.

Nature's Claim and Broken Bond are good artifact/enchantment removal.

Btw Mana Drain was uncommon in Legends :P

Some lands worth thinking about, Mystic Sanctuary, Cephalid Coliseum, Blighted Woodland, Myriad Landscape, Wirewood Lodge, Simic Growth Chamber, Field of Ruin, Ghost Town, Terrain Generator, Ancient Tomb.
Wirewood Lodge could untap Llanowar Scout or Skyshroud Ranger.
Ghost Town combos with the "Sakura-Tribe Scout" type creatures and Retreat to Coralhelm in that you can ensure that you have a land to play each turn.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

I've really enjoyed Reality Ripple. Because you are so creature dense, you probably still don't want board wipes to resolve most of the time, but this can protect against spot removal, while also being an offensive spell. Somebody about to go ham with Aetherflux Reservoir ? Phase it out!

Insight is another copy of Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study in the right playgroup. Green is a very popular color

I also second the inclusion of the instant/sorcery based ramp spells, probably over some of your mana rocks. They trigger your commander and lands are a lot harder to remove than artifacts.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Oh goodness you two brought up some nice cards! Especially the revelation that Mana Drain was uncommon. I already had enough laughs reminding people that Rhystic Study and Force of Will are not rares. Yeah I kinda just threw in the rock based ramp because I kinda made it a habit to spread my ramp among different types of ramp because I dunno paranoia I guess. It honestly makes more sense to make it all land or land aura based so thanks.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of maybe using cards like Legerdemain and Switcheroo as another cool thing to do with my tokens. What'yall think?

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

I like the swap cards. They are actually pretty efficient compared to some things. How about Steal Enchantment or Steal Artifact ?
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic