Kalamax - discard your hand and draw more

BHC
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BHC » 2 years ago

I really enjoyed the Vega, the Watcher deck I made when he come out, like surprisingly so, one of my favorite decks. I've been meaning to make a similar deck for a friend of mine. I saw a video that highlighted the card Song of Creation and thought his might be a good one to try it on since you'll want to get cards out of your hands and into exile. Other cards that help that are Avaricious Dragon, Grafted Skullcap, Heightened Awareness, Psychic Vortex, and Mindstorm Crown. BTW shoutout to www.mtgassist.com , if you don't know about it they have a nice search engine that helps you find similar cards that I find invaluable for deckbuilding.

I choose Kalamax, the Stormsire as the commander, I know he's a pretty popular one but he really fits this deck well. The right colours and has a very relevant ability. I have never built a spellslinger style deck before. My Vega deck is more like a control deck where I often enough win with Approach of the Second Sun but I sometimes end up storming off the triggers on a Docent of Perfection // Final Iteration with a Mystic Reflection targeting some giant fatty. I can see building a big army here with Talrand, Sky Summoner, the docent, Young Pyromancer or Murmuring Mystic. Since I'm in green do you guys think I should have some Overrun type cards in here to make those more a threat? I have Doomskar Titan which fits the foretell theme and buffs all my creatures when you flip him but that's about it for that type of effect.

I haveGuttersnipe, Electrostatic Field, Ral, Storm Conduit and other direct damage cards when I cast and copy spells. I don't know if I'm missing any obvious includes here.

One thing I'm concerned about is creating mana, I have Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty and she's suuuper good here but other than standard green ramp and some artifact mana and Storm-Kiln Artist I don't have much else. I don't have Jeska's Will in there because unlike Birgi you probably want to hold it in your hand and this deck doesn't really want that. There may be some red enchantments that help with that that I'm not aware of.

Alright a little about the deck and things I noticed and also cards I'm excited about. First off with all the forced discard I was really keen to look up madness cards and I was... underwhelmed. https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Sear ... +[madness] There's stuff like Reckless Wurm which nets you a 4/4 trample for 3 which is good, efficient but it just doesn't seem like it will help you win. I included a few madness cards but there were a lot less than I hoped. Rielle, the Everwise seems super good with this deck, whatever you discard at the end of turn will get replaced. I'm a little worried I don't have enough targets for Isochron Scepter, I thought I'd have more cheap instants but didn't end up with so many. I could throw in some lightning bolts and such to make it more likely. Maybe counterspell would be useful to add for that. For ways to tutor my card draw engine up I don't have a ton, Green Sun's Zenith works really well to grab Avaricious Dragon, otherwise it seems like it's a bit of a Gamble.

Like I said this is my first spellslinger deck so I would definitely like any advice you've got. The lands have not been optimized yet obviously, I may have a few too many as well, not sure on that one.

Change log: removed isochron scepter and waybreak hippocamp. Added Mina and Denn, Wildborn and Wayward Swordtooth

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”