Osgir, the Reconstructor of Boros' Hope

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

I never thought I'd do it. My two LEAST favorite colors in all of MTG and yet I found myself putting the Lorehold Legacies Commander 2021 deck in my cart. This was the first time I could EVER remember anticipating buying a Precon in nearly 5 years and of all the colors I could build...

I went with Boros. BUT...

My intuition when I first saw Osgir was correct; Osgir, the Reconstructor is no joke and creates one of the most unique forms of Card Advantage I've ever experienced.

So, if you like drawing cards, smashing face, and creating incredibly potent value engines with potential COMBO synergies in the two worst objective colors in MTG, check out what Osigr does.

Osgir, Hope of Boros
Approximate Total Cost:

Since Boros is light on tutors, we supplement this weakness with raw card draw, and I need to stress to you the importance of the Eggs that are in the deck. "Eggs" in MTG refers to cheap Artifacts that either have a self-sacrificing ability that draws you cards OR draw cards when they ETB. This list of cards includes: Mishra's Bauble, Conjurer's Bauble, Ichor Wellspring, Arcum's Astrolabe, and Golden Egg. These cards are absolutely wonderful with Osgir out in play and the best part is that they completely fly under the radar of your opponents. More often than not, you'll cast one of these Eggs, sac it to Osgir's ability, then use his second ability to make two token copies of that card. Essentially, you're able to draw 3 cards for 3-4 mana most times, and this is one of the primary engines in the deck for card draw.

In regards to the specific infinite turns combo in the deck, the lovely folks on the Boros Discord server have figured this one out and I'll be putting it in spoilers for ease of understanding:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Setup: Osgir in play (not summoning sick), Ugin's Nexus and Mirror of Fate in graveyard. Mana requirement: 7

1. Activate Osgir's ability for X=5, exile Ugin's Nexus: 2 Nexus tokens; 1 dies to legend rule [1 extra turn][0 Mirrors]
2. Pop 2nd Nexus with Osgir [2 extra turns][0 Mirrors]. The OG Nexus will go to exile.
3. Move to next turn [1 extra turn][0 Mirrors]
4. Activate Osgir's ability for X=5, exile Mirror of Fate: 2 Mirror tokens [1 extra turn][2 Mirrors]
5. Crack a Mirror token copy, put nothing back [1 extra turn][1 Mirror] and exiling your entire library
6. Crack the last Mirror token copy, putting back Codex Shredder, Nexus, and Mirror (which you exiled via Osgir's ability in step 4) [1 extra turn][0 Mirrors]. Remember that you can stack your library in any order you want via Mirror of Fate so that you always draw the cards in whatever order you need.
7. Move to next turn [0 extra turns][0 Mirrors]
8. Draw Shredder, play Shredder [0 extra turns][0 Mirrors]
9. Use Shredder to mill Nexus [0 extra turns][0 Mirrors]
10. Activate Osgir's ability for X=5, exiling Nexus: 2 Nexus tokens; 1 dies to legend rule [1 extra turn][0 Mirrors]
11. Pop 2nd Nexus with Osgir [2 extra turns][0 Mirrors]
12. Move to next turn [1 extra turn][0 Mirrors]
13. Use Shredder to mill Mirror [1 extra turn][0 Mirrors]
14. X=5, exile Mirror: 2 Mirror tokens [1 extra turn][2 Mirrors]
15. Crack 1 Mirror, put back SSG, Nexus, Tormod's Crypt, and Mirror [1 extra turn][1 Mirror]
16. Move to next turn [0 extra turns][1 Mirror]
17. User Shredder to mill Nexus [0 extra turns][1 Mirror]
18. Activate Osgir's ability for X=5, exile Nexus: 2 Nexus tokens; 1 dies to legend rule [1 extra turn][1 Mirror]
19. Pop 2nd Nexus with Osgir's first ability [2 extra turns][1 Mirror]
20. Move to next turn [1 extra turn][1 Mirror]
21. Draw Tormod's Crypt, play Tormod's Crypt [1 extra turn][1 Mirror]
22. Use Shredder to mill Mirror [1 extra turn][1 Mirror]
23. X=5, exile Mirror: 2 Mirror tokens [1 extra turn][3 Mirrors]
24. Crack Crypt, targeting yourself (exiles crypt during resolution) [1 extra turn][3 Mirrors]
25. Crack 1 Mirror, Nexus, Tormod's Crypt, and Mirror [1 extra turn][2 Mirrors]
26. Return to Step 17

If that's not too convoluted for you (I'm still wrapping my head around it even as I type this up in my insomniac induced state), the net result is taking infinite turns. You can also pretty much cast any spell from your deck an infinite number of times as well (if I'm reading this right) by including Daretti, Scrap Savant in one of the piles, but I still need to wrap my brain around this.

There's an alternate semi-infinite combo line that requires WAY more cards but is WAY more straightforward is Anointed Procession/Rings of Brighthearth/Battlemage's Bracers + Karn, the Great Creator + Ugin's Nexus + Osgir, the Reconstructor + Daretti, Scrap Savant/Key to the City. Here's how it goes:
  • You cast Nexus, sac it to Osgir's first ability, take an extra turn as per Nexus' triggered ability. The Nexus goes to your exile zone.
  • Activate Karn's second ability to return Nexus from your exile zone to your hand.
  • Activate Daretti's ability to discard the Nexus to your 'yard.
  • Activate Osgir's second ability for X=5, targeting the Nexus in your 'yard.
  • Copy Osgir's ability with either Rings of Brighthearth or get 4 Nexus tokens via Anointed Procession.
  • 3 of them will die to the Legend rule, stacking up 3 extra turns for you.
  • Sac the last Nexus token to Osgir's first ability, for a total of 4 stacked Extra Turns. You must have mana to do this otherwise you won't be able to take your stacked turns due to the Nexus' first ability.
  • Proceed to take the first of your 4 extra turns. This will give you plenty of time to use Karn's first ability to restore his loyalty and activate this loop again during your fourth extra turn.
  • You can protect yourself from decking out with Mirror of Fate and Tormod's Crypt (the Crypt will exile your 'yard and the Mirror will allow you to create a perfect 7 card deck of your favorite cards).
Otherwise, this deck looks to find one of the token producers in the deck and spam it as hard as possible. Alibou, Ancient Witness can also randomly fireball opponents over time since you can easily create 15+ mana rock tokens that you can tap before Alibou or an artifact creature you control attacks.

This deck is VERY subtle and I feel like I'm still discovering interactions. Not surprising, given the fact that Osgir, the Reconstructor was only available in paper as of yesterday...

benjameenbear

Huh, just realized that Search for Glory actually finds Ugin's Nexus, Daretti, Scrap Savant, Karn, the Great Creator or fixes for mana. I'm going to add that in for sure.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 2 years ago

So, like, I totally slept on this guy. Saw him spoiled for the precon and thought, "whatever". But since we've got him and my son and I have jammed some games with the precons, he's really impressed me. Even just with copying mana rocks and artifact lands. And if he's impressive in a precon shell, I can only imagine lists like yours are going to get Osgir humming. Props for tuning up boros action.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

benjameenbear

@MeowZeDung
Thanks! Yeah, my Dimir identity is pained every time I pull it out, but I like to tell myself that Osgir is actually a Dimir mage at heart. I mean, he exiles things from the 'yard (a totally Swamp thing to do) and makes tokens of Artifacts (definitely in Blue's color wheel).

I'm still waiting on my upgrade order for Osgir, but he's probably one of the most powerful Precons I've played right out of the box. My brother and I threw down a couple of games yesterday and Osgir surprised him for sure. Both the cards they included and the overall power level of the deck. Once I get the Eggs and other pieces I need it should hum at a totally different power level.

Yup, copying artifact lands for 0 mana feels really good. I was also able to surprise kill my brother yesterday by sac'ing all the dudes to Osgir's first ability and pumping the guy he didn't block. I dealt an extra 10 damage that way and killed him, so Osgir's no slouch in the red zone either. A solidly designed Commander, imo.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 2 years ago

Have you considered Pull from Eternity? It's an engine with Reconstruct History and enables some extra copies of Ugin's Nexus or anything else with Osgir. I contemplated an Isochron Scepter or Sunforger package in my version of Osgir almost exclusively because Pull has been so effective for me.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 2 years ago

I've played with and against him now. I mean, he does pretty stupid card advantage stuff in Boros with dumb old Ichor Wellspring and Mycosynth Wellspring. There have also been some sick plays with that new red mana rock that enters as a clone (blanking on name - cursed something) and stuff like Audacious Reshapers + Thousand-Year Elixir. Lots of cheaty stuff I'm not used to in a precon. I welcome the higher power level for them though.

Edit: pardon the crosspost
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

benjameenbear

Crazy Monkey wrote:
2 years ago
Have you considered Pull from Eternity? It's an engine with Reconstruct History and enables some extra copies of Ugin's Nexus or anything else with Osgir. I contemplated an Isochron Scepter or Sunforger package in my version of Osgir almost exclusively because Pull has been so effective for me.
I didn't. But I'll dredge up my copy of it now and test it out! Love the synergy with Reconstruct History particularly.

I'm also considering Precursor Golem as well. It's the cheapest ETB artifact creature token producer I've found and being able to put that many bodies into play is appealing to me.

@MeowZeDung Yup, Cursed Mirror is pretty awesome. My favorite interaction so far was playing a Sun Titan, playing the Mirror as a copy of Titan and getting two dead rocks to play and being able to do that again via Osgir's ability next turn. So good.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 years ago

I'd put together a pile of cards for Osgir but didn't pull the trigger on actually finishing the deck.

I had worked out a Pull from Eternity / Mirror of Fate loop.

Jeweled Lotus is the absolute bomb with Osgir because you can cast him Turn 1 and then on Turn 2 you create 2 x Jeweled Lotus and now it makes removing him very unappealing.

Because sometimes you just want to discard artifacts Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty is a way to do this while getting card advantages with the Harnfel, Horn of Bounty portion.

I do like Thousand-Year Elixir a lot with Osgir with so many zero/one cmc cards you can get value nicely.

Memory Jar can do a lot of work. Discarding cards if you can't cast everything can actually be an advantage. Activating Memory Jar 3 times is pretty big game.

benjameenbear

@darrenhabib
Yeah, I was kinda surprised that you didn't post a decklist first if I'm being honest, lol.

Jeweled Lotus is definitely a super fantastic piece of ramp for the deck and if I were to try and optimize the deck I would put it in. So far, the only fast mana sources I have in the deck are Sol Ring and Mana Vault and I think I kinda want it that way. This deck is meant to play at the 5-6 range, although it would be fun to do a cEDH optimized list as a thought experiment lol.

Yeah, I totally forget that Harnfel, Horn of Bounty is a pretty awesome card as a card advantage piece. The synergy it has with Mirror of Fate and Osgir's second ability is no-joke. Good suggestion.

I'm also going to be adding in Zirda, the Dawnwaker. A) because I HAVE to be able to shout "What does the fox say?!" whenever I cast it. B) Zirda actually reduces the cost for Osigr's second ability pretty substantially, which is a primary engine for card advantage in the deck. C) Being able to paralyze blockers is actually going to be relevant in a lot of situations. D) It's Sun Titan-able, so the chances of being able to consistently leverage Zirda's ability will be high.

Any other cards stand out to you for synergies with Osgir?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I'd consider adding Nim Deathmantle and Krark-Clan Ironworks. Both are okay standing alone, but with your high density of artifact creatures who produce token creatures on death, you can easily use them to generate infinite mana and dudes in a pinch.

Also, Phyrexian Triniform is basically another Triplicate Titan if you need another.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 2 years ago

I've had a lot of success with Quicksmith Genius as a discard outlet and draw engine. It can be a bit difficult to keep it feed, but doubling up on the number of cards seen with baubles has been good for me. I've also had a lot of success with Sevinne's Reclamation, but my curve is lower than your build. Generally, the semi-focus on reusing exile had me consider a lot of flashback spells. If nothing else, they give cards available for a mirror of fate pile if Osgir isn't available and I'm trying to use Goblin Welder.

I am considering adding Heartstone as a copy-able cost reduction piece in addition to Zirda. If discarded, they are the same cost to get -2 ability cost. The main difference is whether Osgir is tapped or untapped.

I've also been looking at Feldon of the Third Path, as creature recursion. How has he performed for you?

I noticed you've included Battlemage's Bracers, but not Illusionist's Bracers. Is the haste significantly better, or were there already enough copying effects?
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

darrenhabib

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
I'm a sucker for Sunforger so was planning on doubling up with Osgir and I was going to use Pull from Eternity with Mistveil Plains to get multiple uses out of artifacts you exile.
So less about card selection and more about ideas with Osgir.

Obviously Gamble and Fervent Mastery are amazing in that you can search up artifacts and probably prefer them to be discarded.

Both me and Crazy Monkey figured out that Pithing Needle and Sorcerous Spyglass are quite versatile because you can shut down something early and then later on sac and create two and then shut down whatever else has come along later on in the game.

benjameenbear

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I'd consider adding Nim Deathmantle and Krark-Clan Ironworks. Both are okay standing alone, but with your high density of artifact creatures who produce token creatures on death, you can easily use them to generate infinite mana and dudes in a pinch.

Also, Phyrexian Triniform is basically another Triplicate Titan if you need another.
I do like Nim Deathmantle as a pseudo-recursion option for the deck that also opens up a semi-Voltron plan. Not sure if I fully want to jump on the two/three-card combo train as this deck is meant to be much more casual than my other lists... although that rationale is fading all the time as I consider Ballista as an infinite mana outlet.

I just added my copy of Triniform to my Yawgmoth deck for flavor purposes, but it's definitely good to keep in mind.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
2 years ago
I've had a lot of success with Quicksmith Genius as a discard outlet and draw engine. It can be a bit difficult to keep it feed, but doubling up on the number of cards seen with baubles has been good for me. I've also had a lot of success with Sevinne's Reclamation, but my curve is lower than your build. Generally, the semi-focus on reusing exile had me consider a lot of flashback spells. If nothing else, they give cards available for a mirror of fate pile if Osgir isn't available and I'm trying to use Goblin Welder.

I am considering adding Heartstone as a copy-able cost reduction piece in addition to Zirda. If discarded, they are the same cost to get -2 ability cost. The main difference is whether Osgir is tapped or untapped.

I've also been looking at Feldon of the Third Path, as creature recursion. How has he performed for you?

I noticed you've included Battlemage's Bracers, but not Illusionist's Bracers. Is the haste significantly better, or were there already enough copying effects?
My thinking for the Battlemage Bracers is that it came with the deck and it requires more mana to equip and activate, therefore making it more acceptable to the playgroup that I would be using this deck for? Their idea of super high-power (currently) is my Yawgmoth deck; that deck gets targeted nearly right out of the gate and it's one of my slowest decks. I'm currently at a decision point for this deck as to whether I make it stronger and add more combos/synergies or if I simply refine card choices for the basic deck strategy as it stands.

Feldon of the Third Path can get out of hand, especially with a copying effect a la Rings of Brighthearth. In one game I played with my brother, I had the choice of either spamming Angel of the Ruins OR Duplicant. All his things died 'cause he couldn't draw removal for Feldon. In short, he's been pretty good so far.

I was also reconsidering Goblin Welder for the deck. Can't believe I missed him, so I'll be updating that shortly.

Great idea with Heartstone!

Quicksmith Genius is a card I didn't know if I wanted to cut, but the sheer volume of cards he enables the deck to see could definitely be worth it. I think I'm going to be updating the list soon with some changes.
darrenhabib wrote:
2 years ago
benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
I'm a sucker for Sunforger so was planning on doubling up with Osgir and I was going to use Pull from Eternity with Mistveil Plains to get multiple uses out of artifacts you exile.
So less about card selection and more about ideas with Osgir.

Obviously Gamble and Fervent Mastery are amazing in that you can search up artifacts and probably prefer them to be discarded.

Both me and Crazy Monkey figured out that Pithing Needle and Sorcerous Spyglass are quite versatile because you can shut down something early and then later on sac and create two and then shut down whatever else has come along later on in the game.
Gamble is a good idea and I'm actually pretty curious about Mastery, so I'll give those a try.

I have zero experience with Sunforger but I like what it can do. I don't know if I want to tweak the deck to include a Forger package. How many Forger targets is good enough to make it worthwhile?

I saw someone suggest Phyrexian Dreadnought as a possible beater and I have to say that I love the idea of it. Copying it with Osgir's ability will let you keep one of the tokens around, and I'm definitely a fan of a one mana 12/12 trampler in the deck. Thoughts?

darrenhabib

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
I have zero experience with Sunforger but I like what it can do. I don't know if I want to tweak the deck to include a Forger package. How many Forger targets is good enough to make it worthwhile?

I saw someone suggest Phyrexian Dreadnought as a possible beater and I have to say that I love the idea of it. Copying it with Osgir's ability will let you keep one of the tokens around, and I'm definitely a fan of a one mana 12/12 trampler in the deck. Thoughts?
Honestly you don't need a lot for Sunforger, especially if you run Mistveil Plains, but at the same time don't just jam it into the deck as I was specifically thinking of 2 x Sunforger so adapting around it does require some design.
But I mean if you've never played it before you are in for a treat and how many other Boros decks are you going to play?
I'll just show you my package...ew err.
Enlightened Tutor, Path to Exile, Pull from Eternity, Swords to Plowshares, Pyroblast, Wear // Tear, Tibalt's Trickery, Boros Charm, Lapse of Certainty, Chaos Warp, Deflecting Swat, Teferi's Protection, Ephemerate.

A combo with Sunforger is Pull from Eternity the Ugin's Nexus and use Mistveil Plains to put Pull from Eternity back into library for infinite turns.
But of course you can keep using Pull from Eternity to put anything you've exiled to get further Osgir uses.

Phyrexian Dreadnought is not my cup of tea as a win con. If you had cards like Terror of the Peaks, Warstorm Surge, or even Lukka, Wayward Bonder emblem then sign me up. Otherwise a threat that can be removed by both creature and artifact removal isn't going to get you very far.
The idea of Osgir is that you'd want opponents to have to deal with the first threat when cast and then you can follow it up with double the trouble if they do.
Dreadnought literally just leaves you with one threat through the whole process.
But for example Sunforger is a threat that really needs to be dealt with, and if it is destroyed then you get to create two of them!

benjameenbear

Good points about Dreadnought.

I also like the cards you've suggested for a Sunforger package. I think I'll probably run 8-10 cards for it, including these ones:
I'm also considering a small equipment package to maximize on Boros' strengths with equipment:
I'm also thinking pretty heavily about my creature package as I rethink the deck strategy, so I want to outline the creatures I want to include in the deck (the majority of them should be Artifacts obviously):
For the draw package, I'm thinking something along the lines of:
It has a lot of the Eggs that I can easily slot in from my collection with some solid synergies as well. I would be very interested in seeing how well Azor's Gateway // Sanctum of the Sun does for the deck since I can legitimately pull combo pieces from exile with Pull from Eternity, Mirror of Fate and Karn, the Great Creator.

A potential Combo Piece package:
The combo lines in the deck would be:
The removal suite for the deck would be selected from the following:
The ramp package would be pretty easy to assemble, and I think I might be lowering the curve and including some 0-cost Artifacts because it's Boros.

I'll be retweaking the OP decklist to incorporate these new changes and see how they run when my brother comes back again this week.

demonicpic

Post by demonicpic » 2 years ago

Thank you for posting this decklist, I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts and seeing the debate. I really hope you continue to update the list and share your experiences!

darrenhabib

Sensei's Divining Top goes infinite with Mystic Forge and Ugin, the Ineffable.

Faithless Looting is pretty strong as you can discard artifacts that you'd prefer just exile for immediate additional advantages. Makes Lotus Bloom, Darksteel Citadel, Great Furnace, Ancient Den much better.

I'd personally replace Rip Apart with something I could get with Sunforger.

Boros Garrison goes nice with Archaeomancer's Map. Axgard Armory can get equipment. I'd just swap both these with Furycalm Snarl and Lorehold Campus.
I would also look at Expedition Map as it does give you access to these and Mistveil Plains and Inventors' Fair.

benjameenbear

demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
Thank you for posting this decklist, I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts and seeing the debate. I really hope you continue to update the list and share your experiences!
Hi @demonicpic and welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask any question you want, even if you think it's dumb. Ive' been playing for a while and can sometimes forget to address pretty basic strategy or synergies in a decklist.
darrenhabib wrote:
2 years ago
Sensei's Divining Top goes infinite with Mystic Forge and Ugin, the Ineffable.

Faithless Looting is pretty strong as you can discard artifacts that you'd prefer just exile for immediate additional advantages. Makes Lotus Bloom, Darksteel Citadel, Great Furnace, Ancient Den much better.

I'd personally replace Rip Apart with something I could get with Sunforger.

Boros Garrison goes nice with Archaeomancer's Map. Axgard Armory can get equipment. I'd just swap both these with Furycalm Snarl and Lorehold Campus.
I would also look at Expedition Map as it does give you access to these and Mistveil Plains and Inventors' Fair.
I actually just added those two lands into the deck @darrenhabib. Do you have a Spybot checking my MTG desk or something...

Rip Apart is in the deck because I ran out of copies of Swords to Plowshares. I have 3 copies of the card and they're all currently being used atm. Gotta go find a copy of Swords to put into the deck.

I think I do like Sensei's Divining Top in the deck because it can be exiled to Osgir's ability to draw cards if it's somehow in my 'yard and is also an infinite draw combo with Ugin and Forge (both of which I am definitely not going to be cutting) so I think it's worthwhile to include.

I've also found that this deck is actually a great Control/Reanimator deck. It utilizes its graveyard VERY heavily and also wants to maintain a good control of what's on the battlefield, so I want to lean into this strategy more robustly. It uses the 'yard to accrue Card Advantage and Control and it can output some pretty ridiculous amounts of raw card draw too.

I could actually see myself cutting more instants and sorceries in favor of more Artifacts and synergies. I recently goldfished and discovered that Scrap Trawler with Spine of Ish Sah is a pretty handy way of recurring key pieces while also exerting control on the table.

darrenhabib

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Do you have a Spybot checking my MTG desk or something...
What I haven't disclosed is that I'm an AI from the future sent back to the past to rectify heinous crimes against Commander decks.

benjameenbear

Are... are you the Terminator of Terrible Decks come to wreak vengeance @darrenhabib?

In other news, I discovered that I had a spare copy of Dockside Extortionist because my wife doesn't think it's good for her Kaalia deck. So imma slot that in real quick... because it's probably one of the best cards in EDH right now (maybe ever?).

Another card that could be interesting to utilize is Voyager Staff. It's a way to get double triggers for any ETB's that occur in the deck and it opens up Goblin Engineer as a potential 1-card combo assembler with Osgir copying the Staff (from the 'yard courtesy of the Engineer) to get double triggers off the Engineer to assemble Mirror of Fate + Ugin's Nexus both being in the 'yard. Sequential activations of the Mirror of Fate will create your very own 7 card Doomsday library that you then use the Discord-discovered combo line (located in the OP) for.

Also, I've decided that my dream for this deck is to Activate Osgir's ability targeting Ugin's Nexus in my 'yard and copying his ability with Battlemage's Bracers and Rings of Brighthearth with an Anointed Procession in play. I think that's a total of 12 extra turns for 8. Yeah, seems good.

demonicpic

I'm not sure if this is too much to ask, but would you be willing to post a no-budget Osgir decklist? I'm new to EDH, and I'm sorta clueless when it comes to deck building, so I lean pretty heavily on decklists and primers. When I'm reading this thread (which I'm really enjoy and appreciate) I see you make considerations based on your available card pool. It would be hugely helpful if you could post a no budget list. I'd love to play an Osgir deck, but outside of this thread I really haven't been able to come across a complete decklist and primer. Either way, thanks for everything you've posted here!

benjameenbear

@demonicpic
A full cutthroat cEDH list (often equivalent for a no-budget decklist request like yours) for Osgir is going to, by necessity, include quite a bit of Stax pieces. I say this mostly to make sure you know what you're walking into when you sit down with the list I suggest here in a bit.

If there's any interactions or synergies that you want to have explained in greater detail, feel free to ask!
Osgir, No-Holds Barred
Approximate Total Cost:

Combos in the Deck:
There's a solid Sunforger package and I decided to keep Sword of Fire and Ice in the deck because having multiple copies of that card via Osgir's ability seems really good while also pressuring life totals and the vast majority of creatures that play in a cEDH setting.

Otherwise, the strategy of the game is to accelerate out a piece of Stax, deploy Osgir for profit and life total pressure, and accumulate advantage through the cheap self-sacrificing Artifacts that Osgir can make token copies of.

darrenhabib

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
@demonicpic
A full cutthroat cEDH list (often equivalent for a no-budget decklist request like yours) for Osgir is going to, by necessity, include quite a bit of Stax pieces.
I'd say Sphere of Resistance, Thorn of Amethyst, Damping Sphere would also be correct for this version as you really are not looking to cast cards as so much using Osig ability to put things into play.
Sword of Fire and Ice, Kuldotha Forgemaster, God-Pharaoh's Statue would be my swaps.

benjameenbear

I think the Kuldotha Forgemaster is an acceptable cut. It's pretty slow, all things considered, but I'm still going to test it out for my paper version.

I worry that having too many Tax effects in the list will actually slow down our own strategy too significantly. This deck still needs to get permanents on the field in order to make copies of them since there's only 4-5 filtering effects in the deck. However, once a permanent gets into play, Osgir squeezes all the value out of it for maximum profit.

I'm actually thinking that the cEDH version of the deck should also run Anointed Procession. It doesn't directly do anything by itself but it's consistently pushed this deck into overdrive every time it survives a turn cycle and Osgir's 2nd ability activates. And in a typical cEDH game it's not really going to catch the attention of the table until it's much too late imo. I dunno, I see the payoff for it as being worth the cost of losing a semi-turn in casting it.

demonicpic

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to put this list together, it was exactly what I was hoping for! I'll have to think on whether or not I want to build it... I've been hesitant to build a stax deck, if only because I get so salty when I have to play against stax decks, and I want people to like me :) Osgir is such a cool build around though, I really like what you've done with this

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”