Adrix and Nev, Draw All the Cards

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Adrix and Nev, Twincasters
Approximate Total Cost:

I learned that I am getting the Quantum Quandrix commander deck for my birthday (mostly because I was asked to order it for myself, but que sera sera), so of course I had to build a deck around in my opinion one of the coolest commanders to come out in a long time, Adrix and Nev, Twincasters. I decided I didn't want to go the just ramp into Avenger of Zendikar and win route as I find those decks kind of boring and Doubling Season is really expensive. Instead, thanks to Curiosity Crafter being printed, along with Toski, Bearer of Secrets, I figured it would be more fun to create more of a Tempo Swarm deck. Plus, I figure it will make wraths a lot worse against the deck since I plan to draw a new hand each turn.

The gameplan for the deck is either:
To facilitate both of these strategies, I decided on a few conditions for cards:

1. Emphasize two and three drops that can either make tokens or be turned into tokens later.
2. Token producers should top out at 5 mana (unless they provide additional utility like Ugin, the Ineffable) and should either produce multiple tokens at once or a constant stream of tokens without a mana investment.
3. Look for utility spells that either produce tokens, come on a body, or support a token strategy.

Overall, I am excited to get out and try this deck when I can (and test out a few cards like Helm of the Host in this deck). Also I want to see how many cards this deck can draw and whether running Laboratory Maniac or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries would be worth it. Suggestions welcomed.
Last edited by Guardman 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

A few small changes. I forgot about Selesnya Eulogist and Heraldic Banner when putting together the list initially. I took out Champion of Wits and Sakura-Tribe Elder, respectively, as they were the worst cards in their slot. Replacing Simic Signet for Talisman of Curiosity. Also after thinking on it some more, and given the theme of the deck, Edric, Spymaster of Trest is probably just better than Idol of Oblivion. I decided to throw in Esix, Fractal Bloom even though it costs more than five as it just seems like it really synergizes with deck (and looks hella fun). Out goes Master Biomancer, as even though I want to try it out, the more I think about it, the more I think unless it is a turn four play it is probably worse than every other pump in the deck.

Also I moved around some cards to different categories (for example, Cultivator of Blades probably belongs in the Token section rather than Pump.

Finally, this is my first blue/green deck, so I guess one question I really have is my removal/permission package enough? Am I missing any obvious cards?

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

Uh, that's a neat idea! And way more interesting than the more goodstuffy Adrix and Nev, Twincasters lists.

Reconnaissance Mission is another very playable card.
Dolmen Gate could be an option.
Arachnogenesis and Pest Infestation are great oneshot token producers.
Beastmaster Ascension is a superb with swarm strategies.

The great things about Edric, Spymaster of Trest are the small flyers that your token approach is missing. I'm not sure that you will get through with your foot soldiers.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

cheonice wrote:
2 years ago
Uh, that's a neat idea! And way more interesting than the more goodstuffy Adrix and Nev, Twincasters lists.

Reconnaissance Mission is another very playable card.
Dolmen Gate could be an option.
Arachnogenesis and Pest Infestation are great oneshot token producers.
Beastmaster Ascension is a superb with swarm strategies.

The great things about Edric, Spymaster of Trest are the small flyers that your token approach is missing. I'm not sure that you will get through with your foot soldiers.
Pest Infestation is perfect for this deck and better than Reclamation Sage, and something I missed the first time around since its so new.

Reconnaissance Mission is a card I thought about, but I'm not sure if the deck needs six of these effects. If it does, it is the one I plan on adding.

Arachnogenesis is great, but is just too expensive at $40.

Beastmaster Ascension is a card I thought about and still on the fence about, because too often when I see it played, it either is a must answer or the game is over type card. I usually like to avoid cards like it and Avenger of Zendikar. Now my deck is a little different than decks like Rhys the Redeemed, and only has one doubler, so it might not be too bad, but I want to play with the deck a few times before going with it.

Dolmen Gate is also a card that I am unsure about and want to play with the deck a few times before coming to a decision.

As for getting in to draw cards, the deck does have quite a few ways to either give trample, assign combat damage without blockers, deathtouch, or force other opponents to attack. Combine that with the number of tokens the deck can produce, and I think the deck shouldn't have a problem getting in to draw cards... hopefully.

Finally, a few more changes (as I started organizing my older cards today and found a few cards I missed before).

Lazotep Plating doesn't work that well with Adrix and Nev, Twincasters due to how Amass works. It's effect is nice, but probably isn't worth it. In it's place is Emrakul's Evangel, which can upgrade all of our tokens to two 3/2's if we have our commander out. Speaking of commanders, Thunderfoot Baloth works well here by giving all of our creatures +2/+2 and trample as long as we have our commander around, which is probably better than Return of the Wildspeaker.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Reconnaissance Mission is a card I thought about, but I'm not sure if the deck needs six of these effects. If it does, it is the one I plan on adding.
I really like the option to cycle it. This pushes it above something like Bident of Thassa.
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Arachnogenesis is great, but is just too expensive at $40.
I'm sorry, it is WHAT? Oh wow... This is just stupid...
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Beastmaster Ascension is a card I thought about and still on the fence about, because too often when I see it played, it either is a must answer or the game is over type card. I usually like to avoid cards like it and Avenger of Zendikar. Now my deck is a little different than decks like Rhys the Redeemed, and only has one doubler, so it might not be too bad, but I want to play with the deck a few times before going with it.

As for getting in to draw cards, the deck does have quite a few ways to either give trample, assign combat damage without blockers, deathtouch, or force other opponents to attack. Combine that with the number of tokens the deck can produce, and I think the deck shouldn't have a problem getting in to draw cards... hopefully.
Ascension is fantastic in closing the game. I use it as a kind of Overrun effect. Speaking of which: Return of the Wildspeaker was a really great card in my Brawl deck on Arena and it was great most of the time. But yeah, I used both modes, with your 1/1s it's probably not the best idea...

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

cheonice wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
I really like the option to cycle it. This pushes it above something like Bident of Thassa.
I like Bident of Thassa because it can force an opponent to attack, clearing out blockers.
cheonice wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago

Ascension is fantastic in closing the game. I use it as a kind of Overrun effect. Speaking of which: Return of the Wildspeaker was a really great card in my Brawl deck on Arena and it was great most of the time. But yeah, I used both modes, with your 1/1s it's probably not the best idea...
That is kind of why I soured on Return of the Wildspeaker. I really like that it is instant speed, but the lack of trample and not being able to utilize its draw half that well made me realize it is probably better to put in something that does more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”