Velomachus Lorehold - Token Polymorph

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I got the alt-art and I think it's really awesome so now I want to build a deck. The standard Relentless Assault / Armageddon / Narset, Enlightened Master-lite sounds like a snooze-fest to me. I'm thinking of going an almost creatureless Goblin Rally + Transmogrify token deck.

Here's a pile of stuff I'm considering

Maybes Fireflux Squad, Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale, Skyline Despot, Etali, Primal Storm, Inspiring Commander , Oblivion Sower, Zada, Hedron Grinder, Wandering Archaic // Explore the Vastlands, Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner, Boggart Shenanigans, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser

I'm unsure what creatures I should put in to polymorph into. I find Eldrazi and Elesh to be uninspiring. I was thinking maybe Krenko, Mob Boss or Darien, King of Kjeldor. I'd like to jam a Sunforger package too.
Decklist

Deck

Approximate Total Cost:

Deck is going to need a huge pile of ramp and help. I'm mostly looking for inspiration as to what I should polymorph the tokens into as I think that'll have a huge impact on where I go with the deck. Should I lean into goblin and goblin synergy packages or a more white flier tokens and monarch? Dunno, probably depends on if I'm polymorphing into Krenko, Mob Boss or Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite.
first draft
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

edit: Add to deck
Staff of the Storyteller
Glimmer Lens
Last edited by materpillar 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.

Tags:

Phoenixlance
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Phoenixlance » 2 years ago

I think which creatures you polymorph into might depend on how you envision yourself winning the game. If you favor a tokens-go-wide approach, Elesh Norn or something more inspired that pumps up your horde might be the best inclusion. Harmonious Archon turns pretty much everything into a 3/3 and makes fodder himself when he enters. More global pumps means Velomachus' trigger hits more instants and sorceries too. Angel of Invention is similar in that it pumps your team and generates bodies to polymorph away, but lower impact than the other two creature options.

If you lean into the Goblin route, Voracious Dragon can potentially deal a ton of damage to an opponent.

While it has a mana value of 6 and therefore isn't naturally castable off your dragon, Descent of the Dragons turns your creatures into flying threats and can even act as spot removal in really weird hedge-cases.

Something Anarchist might be worthwhile to spin the wheel again, although it's not the highest impact.

Your creature hits could also be more of the "good-stuff" variety. Etali, Primal Storm acts like a mini-Velomachus. Aurelia, the Warleader and Scourge of the Throne give additional combat steps for your commander, although you did mention in your post that wasn't something that necessarily appealed to you.
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more card draw.

Decks:
Dragonlord Ojutai
Isperia the Inscrutable
Lurrus of the Dream-Den
Katilda, Dawnhart Prime
Beledros Witherbloom
Jenara, Asura of War
Niv-Mizzet Reborn

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 2 years ago

Speaking for the goblin route, I am not positive I would go with it as I don't know how many good non creatures that produce goblin tokens there are. However, if you can do so, an interesting alternative might be Skirk Fire Marshal l. It will do a heck of a lot more damage than voracious dragon will most of the time. I also don't think anyone will expect it out of a boros deck (and there are many a way to give your stuff protection from red if you want to keep it around rather than a 1 trick pony for a turn.).

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

I've been playing a Zara, Renegade Recruiter deck with a polymorph angle to it recently and for polymorph payoffs, I've liked just putting big scary dragons into play. Stuff like Utvara Hellkite, Scourge of the Throne, Terror of the Peaks, and Balefire Dragon can all be fun. Utvara Hellkite in particular makes your commander generate some more tokens since it is a dragon too. Maybe that's a direction to consider.

Or maybe some big angels. Or both.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 2 years ago

Molten Primordial is a fun one.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

Sunforger is an interesting idea, but at the same time a lot of the prime targets are best done reactively. This means you've now got a chance to flip a rather narrow answer/juke as you swing.

I'll second the recommendations of Etali and Aurelia as polymorph targets. Avacyn and Gisela are both so ridiculous I run them in my Ghired, despite them being legendary and going above curve. Blazing Archon and Platinum Emperion are both cool defensive options, the latter's a minor staple in my group.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

materpillar
the caterpillar

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Here's a rough draft I have. It still needs a bunch of tweaking.

I could also go really deep with Goblin Trenches / Nahiri's Lithoforming + Second Sunrise / Cosmic Intervention / Faith's Reward / Planar Birth / Brought Back

Alternatively I could go more aristocrat with Requiem Angel and Outpost Siege / Goblin Warrens / Pashalik Mons

I could also go really deep on Goblin Welder + Goblin Engineer
I'm torn between wanting to spellsling, wanting to go as wide as possible and wanting to do goblin synergies. :/

materpillar
the caterpillar

I got a game in with this deck yesterday. I ran Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Magmatic Force and Avatar of Slaughter.

The deck performed really well. I hit an early Divergent Transformations flipping Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and Magmatic Force. Force did serious work keeping their generals dead and the board generally under control. Velomachus Lorehold was surprisingly mediocre himself. He actually wiffed twice which feels real bad.

I closed out the game with Eldrazi Monument + Avatar of Slaughter + a bunch of tokens from Anointed Procession.

I'm going to keep this deck around for a bit although it definitely needs more tweaking.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”