Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

Grenzo, Havoc Raiser - Smash & Grab

Grenzo, Havoc Raiser

Commander

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

About the Deck

As someone who is a fan of the rogue archetype in various games, a while ago I had the idea to make a monored rogues deck and the greatest monored rogue legend of them all is Grenzo, Havoc Raiser so this deck was born. Red rogues tend to represent more of a bandit/pillager rogue rather than the sneakier rogue types, so the deck has been filled out with some pirates as well.

To go along with the idea of bandits raiding an area, I included a hefty suite of artifact destruction cards for these bandits to destroy things in their way. This led to adding a few more artifact destruction synergy cards such as Liquimetal Coating, Mycosynth Lattice, and Goblin Welder. It is very rare that an artifact destruction card will not be relevant in some way against most opponents and the higher than average amount that have been included is very helpful for drawing into them.

Temporary theft cards can catch people a bit off guard, clear out blockers for you to get more attacks through to trigger Grenzo's abilities, and can represent sewing some chaos during the bandit raid. I've had a few more in the deck in the past but I'm currently happy with the quantity present in this list. Frenzied Fugue really feels like an underplayed card overall given that it can enchant any permanent and it has definitely done some great things for me. Insurrection is a pretty classic red finisher card (although I don't personally tend to see it very often) and is not super difficult to obtain the mana to cast in this deck.

This deck is somewhat casual with some cards that are generally pretty goofy/jank but still fun. It definitely hangs pretty well in most games in my experience though due to how cheap the creatures are for the most part combined with Grenzo's abilities.

Objectively, this deck could be improved with a modified creature base probably going further into a straight up goblin tribal deck in order to go a bit wider with cards like Siege-Gang Commander and other token generators to really maximize Grenzo triggers, but I haven't felt the urge to actually go in that direction yet. There are also quite a few more goblin artifact destruction payoffs that don't quite fit in this theme at the moment that would be great to include. It is possible I'll experiment with it some day.

It can be very useful to just not cast cards you get from opponents with Grenzo so that they will stay in exile rather than going into a player's graveyard depending on what recursive abilities a particular deck may have. Typically you will exile cards off the top of control/combo decks and goad the more aggressive decks but obviously there will be exceptions to this.

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”