Vaevictus EDH Deck Critiques

Jagermorder
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Jagermorder » 3 years ago

Vaevictus
Approximate Total Cost:

I'm tinkering around with Vaevictus as a commander. I play with a casual group, with some try hards, so I want this deck to be casual, but almost competitive. So far, this deck only has permanents, to help with Vaevictus' triggered ability. But I think I need some spells in there. I need some unbiased opinions on what I should take out and what I should add in, not so much the lands more the spells and non-land permanents. Any input would be appreciated.

One goal is to combo into a Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire sacrifice to Trigger into It That Betrays, Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern or Grave Betrayal

Or combo in creature ETB's with Flayer of the Hatebound or Warstorm Surge
Last edited by Jagermorder 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire (sorry, I can't see the card in your deck, must have a typo)

I would cut
Crystal Ball and Darksteel Pendant. They are pretty bad. I like Cream of the Crop a lot more.
Fires of Yavimaya is not that great. I like Rhythm of the Wild a lot more. That way any creature you get off your commander's attack trigger get's a +1/+1 counter on it.

Usually when people go with all permanents they will do something like
Possibility Storm and DFCs / Adventure cards so that in the deck they are permanents but you can cast as an instant/sorcery. The typical idea is to cast a sorcery and have that Possibility Storm into Primal Surge. You could also do In Garruk's Wake or Rise of the Dark Realms. Probably some options from Strixhaven that are creatures on the front and spells on the back would be really good regardless. Murderous Rider // Swift End is a great card for an all permanents deck.

I just also like Possibility storm with top of the library manipulation.

The biggest issue with all permanents is removal. If you stick to all permanents, I recommend Noxious Gearhulk, Ravenous Chupacabra, Karn Liberated (or other planeswalkers that can kill things) and Binding the Old Gods. And more.

Now, if you decide to cut back on the all permanents plan, you want to look at the best instants and sorceries you can play. I recommend:
- Beast Within
- Heroic Intervention
- Assassin's Trophy
- Bedevil

You may also consider Card Draw, Ramp, and mass removal Damnation, etc.

But obviously you risk playing too many spells and making your commander less strong.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Jagermorder
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Jagermorder » 3 years ago

Ah thanks, I fixed it with an edit. Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire [/card] lets me force each opponent (and myself) to sacrifice a permanent of my choosing when Vaevictus attacks, then each person that sacrificed a permanent puts the top card of their library onto the battlefield (if the top card is a permanent).

Thanks for the feedback! Those are some great ideas, I definitely see some possibilities with possibility storm!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”