Codie, Vociferous Codex - The Book of Dredge

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Codie, Vociferous Codex - The Book of Dredge
Approximate Total Cost:

Codie, Vociferous Codex has caught my eye the most out of any of the freshly spoiled Strixhaven legends. Possibly because it's goofy, or five color, or screams "Johnny, come build a rube goldberg machine out of me!", or all of the above. Anywho, I got to brainstorming how to build with the book in mind, and found it surprisingly challenging. I came up with a couple of basic deck ideas:

1a) Load up on lands and nothing else besides instants and sorceries. No permanents allowed. Start slinging and have fun spinning the wheel.

1b) Go the opposite route and stuff every permanent that ramps into the list, get set up with a jillion mana and haste/protection, then cast Codie and an expensive instant/sorcery to effectively tutor up one of a very small number of non-permanents in the deck which have some game warping effect (turns, mass hand disruption, one sided board wipes, etc).

2) Find every untap effect in existence and try to activate Codie on each player's turn once you're set up - perhaps just spending the mana on activated abilities when there's nothing juicy to cast. Probably looking to combo out with some untap/mana generation shenanigan infinite.

3) Focus on super expensive spells that can have dramatically reduced costs - such as Blasphemous Act, cards with delve, affinity, etc. - and look to freeroll mid to high cmc spells for value.

4) Find an A + B synergy of spell effects with a good spread along one particular CMC for effect A, then a bunch of the complementary B effect on spells with CMC less than that. For instance, hard casting Conqueror's Pledge, Increasing Devotion, or Spider Spawning, then freerolling the Mystic Reflection or Second Harvest that Codie gets.

All of these ideas struck me as really cool and relatively wide open, but I hit plenty of roadblocks. The deckbuilding restrictions along both card types and CMC make for an interesting tension. Long story short, I wasn't overly satisfied with anything I was coming up with, so I kind of squished several of the ideas together into this. . . thing.

The short version of the deck's gameplan is this:

1) Fix, ramp, and start rummaging away fatties and stuff that's valuable in the GY (like Anger) until I hit a dredger.

2) Let that rummage + dredge engine hum for as long as I reasonably can. Get haste enabled.

3) Cast and activate Codie on the same turn. Cast a 7 cmc non-permanent, which will then let me freeroll one of several sweet 6 cmc reanimation spells.

4) Smash. Repeat.

I don't think it's going to be cutthroat or competitive by any stretch. I'll chalk this one up in the "more casual funstuff" column for now. I'm positive I missed some obvious stuff, so I'd love feedback. Oh, and the lands are placeholders if that wasn't already apparent.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tags:

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Yes I can officially say I'm down the rabbit hole as we speak. Wish me luck!

MeowZeDung

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Yes I can officially say I'm down the rabbit hole as we speak. Wish me luck!
It was quite a deep one for me, and I have a feeling I ended up in a weird place with the list. Not necessarily good, just weird. Still looking forward to trying it. I'm interested to see where you land.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

Living Death and Living End can replace all the reanimator spells. Replace the rummagers and the rest of the free roll spells with cyclers and Ethereal Usher and Netherborn Phalanx to tutor 6 drop spells to cast to free roll Living Death/End, and Grozoth to tutor Blasphemous Act to do the same. Hell, even the reanimation targets and dredge could be replaced with fat cyclers, as your goal is to just mass reanimate a bunch of big fat to swing with haste.

MeowZeDung

onering wrote:
3 years ago
Living Death and Living End can replace all the reanimator spells. Replace the rummagers and the rest of the free roll spells with cyclers and Ethereal Usher and Netherborn Phalanx to tutor 6 drop spells to cast to free roll Living Death/End, and Grozoth to tutor Blasphemous Act to do the same. Hell, even the reanimation targets and dredge could be replaced with fat cyclers, as your goal is to just mass reanimate a bunch of big fat to swing with haste.
Nice! This is a much more elegant build that I didn't even consider (probably since I don't own Living Death or Living End, lol). I especially like the touch with transmute permanents. I do wonder if just LE/LD and a bunch of Void Beckoners and Krosan Tuskers will be enough though. If LE/LD get countered you need a good backup plan.

Overall though, I think you simplified - much to the betterment of the deck - what I intended. Thanks.

I have also still been poking around with some of the other ideas I had with Codie, Vociferous Codex, so I think I'm far from a finished list.

MeowZeDung

So I took @onering's feedback into consideration and tinkered around with this more. I kept the dredge and even added some more, but adopted the big cyclers and LD/LE plan. I think it could be sweet, but I am concerned about how light it is on interaction. I'll pretty it up and update the OP tomorrow, but for now it's late and I just want to get it posted and crash for the night.

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Codie, Vociferous Codex

Commander (1)

Everything Else (99)

Approximate Total Cost:

On a related note: I find Codie VERY challenging to build around. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's just me being dumb, but the restrictions are lined up in just such a way that I feel like every avenue I go down is so precarious and very easy to disrupt. I dove into a token build, draw-go control, untap/comboish stuff, Mirrorweave/Mystic Reflection (a personal weakness lately), and more. Glass cannons are fun and all, but only if you can load and fire them quick enough to matter. So, I'm excited to see what others might do with this thing. I like the challenge. This dredge and cycling into LD/LE build is definitely the most straightforward for me so far.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”