Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Decklist

Artifacts (staples)

Instant / Sorcery (staples)

Approximate Total Cost:

Turn 1: Elves of Deep Shadow
Turn 2: Willowdusk, Essence Seer
Turn 3: Mischievous Poltergeist. Lose 39 life via Poltergeist and use Willowdusk t to put 39x +1/+1 on Elves (or Poltergeist).
Turn 4: Rite of Consumption on Elves to gain 40 life and kill another opponent and use Willowdusk t to put 40x +1/+1 on Poltergeist. Attack another opponent with Poltergeist (flying for evasion). The End.

Taking a page from my experience with Greven, Predator Captain, life loss is the aim of the game.
The basic idea is just to lose as much life in a turn as possible and then put that number of counters on a creature. There is a lot of life gain through the stats of creatures whether it checks for power or toughness.
Often there are sacrifice effects as part of that but because Willowdusk, Essence Seer can use that life gain to then put counters on another creature you gain those +1/+1 counters back immediately.

I think the contents of this deck are pretty self explanatory.

Toxic Deluge you can cast for as much life as you want and while you still have priority, before it resolves you can then use Willowdusk, Essence Seer ability to put that many +1/+1 counters on a creature meaning it will survive the Toxic Deluge.

Obviously not everybody can afford a Diamond Valley, but you know I bought one when it was about $25..so yeah the advantage of being an old school Magic player :P

Tags:

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

Not sure if this fits your personal style or not, but the first thing I thought of when this legend got revealed was a life loss deck similar to yours but with Infect creatures. You wouldn't need to lose much life to make some of the really cheap black or green infect creatures get scary.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Ruiner wrote:
3 years ago
Not sure if this fits your personal style or not, but the first thing I thought of when this legend got revealed was a life loss deck similar to yours but with Infect creatures. You wouldn't need to lose much life to make some of the really cheap black or green infect creatures get scary.
With infect creatures you don't need to lose that much life and honestly you could do that directly just through a mana base in my opinion.
Add Cabal Pit, Centaur Garden, Tomb of Urami, Glacial Chasm as further lands to the ones I have in my list.

I could see a small Scapeshift getting Inkmoth Nexus, Tarnished Citadel, Castle Locthwain for example to one shot opponents with the Inkmoth Nexus.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

I've entertained the thought of building Willowdusk, but ultimately decided against it as she'd lead to super explosive starts that are beyond the scope of my group. You've got a pretty similar core to what I'd likely end up with, but there are some musings predominantly related to counter recipients which might be of some use:
  • Having a nearly player-size slab of beef is pretty good for blowing people up, as you also state in your OP. In the interest of chumping not mattering, Rancor could help push damage through, and the tiny power pump is actually quite nice for closing the gap between the life sink and an opponent's life total.
  • Even with the relatively zergtastic gameplay dynamic this deck offers, it's still quite scary to be left at tiny amounts of life for any longer than necessary. As such, I was planning on running lifelinking flyers - that's some form of evasion for kill power, and the lifelink is good for healing back up again. The sub-3 CMC ones (Daggerdrome Imp, Ghastly Gloomhunter) seem particularly relevant here as they can come out ahead of Willowdusk.
  • Another thing that's spooky is getting the counter recipient blown up before it gets to do its thing, e.g. in response to the targeting. Of note, given the forecast pacing of the deck, this is likely to be targeted - it seems unlikely you'll get instant speed wiped in response. So it might be worth putting in some of those one-mana hexproof instants, and consider Silhana Ledgewalker as a counter recipient thanks to its additional built in evasion.
  • I'm liking the idea of infect here actually, as it allows you to not go quite so deep on the life loss. I'd probably run Plague Stinger on top of the Inkmoth Nexus, as it's another evasive sub-3 drop.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”