Tergrid - My decklist is bad, please help

lostgenius
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by lostgenius » 3 years ago

Hello! I am building a Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern deck, I apologize for nothing, and have an insanely large deck list (I'm over by 48 cards). I'm not sure what cards to remove. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tergrid ... 1616116300

My budget is no more than $50 per card. I'm willing to go more for a card, but it has to be really good.

My observations with Tergrid is that it is really slow to get her out, five CMC is super high, but Mox Diamond, Mana Crypt, etc. are stupid expensive cards. Also, I have noticed that after Tergrid is out it appears that the player plays one spell per turn. I would like to make Tergrid more efficient (within budget) and interactive. Hope this makes sense.

Thank you in advance for the help.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

The Erebos primer in my signature might be of use to you. They're similar decks, but mine is less aggressive and grindier. Also, feel free to pop into the Discord. We're tiny, but mighty!

A few notes:

32 lands is incredibly low. I wouldn't run less than 35 mana producing lands in mono-black control, especially in such a mana hungry list as this. 36 plus about 7-8 2-3cmc rocks and Sol Ring seems like it would be right.

Don't run stuff that's only useful if Tergrid is out. Run stuff that is good on its own but doubly so with Tergrid out as she is a magnet for removal. Sure, Delirium Skeins is an absolute beating with Tergrid out, but when she's in the CZ it will often rot in your hand.

Planeswalkers are really strong in MBC. With so much board control it's comparatively easy to get a lot of value out of them.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

With a 5 cmc mono black commander and no budget for busted artifact ramp I think your best bet is to play for a later game Tergrid. It's not like she generates a ton of advantage from just being on the board. You're best off setting up for 10+ mana and dropping her with a highly synergistic play.

Look for a Cabal Coffers strategy. Play Expedition Map and Thaumatic Compass // Spires of Orazca and Thawing Glaciers and Liliana of the Dark Realms to ensure you hit your swamps and up your odds of finding Coffers. Play Final Parting, Burning-Rune Demon and Crucible of Worlds to add another way to get it (parting for crucible + coffers for example).

Shying away from heavy artifact ramp gives you more black pips for Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx as well.

Walking Atlas is a deceptively powerful card in these strategies, swamp ramp being rather hard to come by, but Solemn Simulacrum and Burnished Hart are also great.

Burnished Hart is very good in mono black in general because o the power of reanimating him.

To make up for the deficiencies in not being super fast, but having a strong late game, play lots of removal and sweepers to help bridge the gap.

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Look for a Cabal Coffers strategy. Play Expedition Map and Thaumatic Compass // Spires of Orazca and Thawing Glaciers and Liliana of the Dark Realms to ensure you hit your swamps and up your odds of finding Coffers. Play Final Parting, Burning-Rune Demon and Crucible of Worlds to add another way to get it (parting for crucible + coffers for example).
Remember, OP has a budget, and Cabal Coffers isn't in it. Although FWIW, I do think that if they run one card that's not budget, Coffers is probably that card.

OP, what's your meta like? You said that 5 mana to drop your commander is very slow. Are you looking at frequent T5 kills? Can you afford to durdle long enough to have a huge T10, or is that way too late?

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

SquirrelToken wrote:
3 years ago
Remember, OP has a budget, and Cabal Coffers isn't in it. Although FWIW, I do think that if they run one card that's not budget, Coffers is probably that card.
Check his decklist he already has coffers in it.

(which is why, OP, you should post your decklist in one of our decklist tags ;)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Well that is a lot of cards to remove so its more about bundling into functionality and whether you really need those elements.

There are deal damage with discard in Liliana's Caress and Megrim. These are either going to be "win more" cards or an alternative to Tergrid being shut out of the game. Liliana's Caress and Megrim can be pretty low impact later on in the game when opponents are top decking because the discard has already happened. These types of cards are normally better off with symmetrical card draw like Wheel of Fortune to then setup opponents discarding heaps more cards.

How much discard is too much discard? If by the mid-late game opponents are top decking because all their cards have been cast or discarded then your discard cards become much worse..

There are mana doublers in Crypt Ghast, Extraplanar Lens, Gauntlet of Power, Caged Sun. Does the deck require having lots of mana? Often this comes down to how well you can draw cards or if spells are really expensive.
Rain of Filth and Bubbling Muck are the same in that you are expecting a big turn at least once every game.

Butcher of Malakir, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Razaketh, the Foulblooded are expensive creatures. There is Living Death, Reanimate, Finale of Eternity and quite a few ways to discard from your hand if you draw them, but they are high casting costs spells. If you do envision the deck have a higher ceiling with bombs cards then mana doublers like Crypt Ghast, etc, could be important to that plan.
But obviously if you wanted to try a lower curve then you can take out enablers like mana doublers and their payoff cards which are big expensive spells.

Sadistic Hypnotist really needs support in order to make it worthwhile. Bitterblossom and Bloodghast can be used more than one time, but is this enough?

Grave Pact, Dictate of Erebos, Butcher of Malakir require a decent creature count as well.
You have a lot of symmetrical creature sacrifice effects like Death Cloud already so you have to think about whether your going to have multiple creatures onboard consistently and your own sacrifice effects to really get good use out of them?

Even Costly Plunder, Diabolic Intent, Viscera Seer, Culling the Weak are the same in that you have to commit to have a number of creatures you are willing to sacrifice. I think realistically there are only eight creatures that you wouldn't actually mind sacrificing currently in your list. There is about a 40% chance of drawing one of these by the third turn.

Vedalken Orrery really needs ways to untap mana sources in order to make this worthwhile.

There are so many ways to make opponents sacrifice creatures that you might as well completely stay the course. Cards that don't require sacrifice are Damnation, Mutilate, Deadly Rollick, Toxic Deluge, Finale of Eternity.

It's unlikely that Mox Opal will get metalcraft in this deck consistently.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”