MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Karametra, God of Harvests - Landfall Tokens

Commander (1)

Board Wipes (2)

Token Protection (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

I put together a token list for Maja, Bretagard Protector recently and pretty quickly realized Karametra, God of Harvests was the better general for the strategy I was pursuing. I went back to the drawing board and came up with this. I wanted to get some feedback before I order the few cards I'm missing to start testing the list.

Obvious upgrades that I'm aware of but don't have in my collection just yet:
Last edited by MeowZeDung 3 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tags:

MeowZeDung

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
I'd play Caustic Caterpillar over say Broken Bond.

Elvish Reclaimer over Expedition Map.

Aura Shards with tokens is brutal.
Caterpillar might be worth it to up creature count. I also considered the new changeling, but still hesitant over the GY tax being a creature specifically. Broken bond was in just to double dip on removal and landfall, but I think you may be right and the caterpillar may just be better, especially with Emeria, the Sky Ruin shenanigans.

Unfortunately I don't own an Elvish Reclaimer or Aura Shards yet.

3/17/21

OUT (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Zerro
Tweaker of Decks
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Zerro » 3 years ago

Deck seems very sweet. If we are still looking for creatures to up the count. Skyclave Apparition is a card that i have been impressed with. Love the deck though and can't wait to see where it ends up
Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper // Tymna the Weaver
Nethroi, Apex of Death
Ghired, Conclave Exile
Alibou, Ancient Witness
Ephara,God of the Polis
Neyith of the Dire Hunt
Eligeth, Crossroads Augur // Siani, Eye of the Storm
Renata, Called to the Hunt
Neheb,The Eternal

MeowZeDung

Zerro wrote:
3 years ago
Deck seems very sweet. If we are still looking for creatures to up the count. Skyclave Apparition is a card that i have been impressed with. Love the deck though and can't wait to see where it ends up
Thanks!

Yeah, Apparition is a card I want quite badly for my collection (mostly cube, but creature heavy commander decks too). I think it would be a solid replacement for Generous Gift or Beast Within. I think the creature count is pretty good as is, so I'm not looking to go to extremes to increase it, but a reasonable swap like gift → apparition would be fine.

I think the real gameplan is going to be 1.) Turn 3 or 4 Karametra, God of Harvests, 2.) Stick a landfall token maker, 3.) Draw as many cards as possible until I hit one of the engine creatures a la Whitemane Lion, 4.) Go ham with a self bouncer on someone else's end step and rack up the landfall triggers to make mass tokens - then do it again on my turn pre-combat to proc some buff effect over and over. The point is, I think the deck is less concerned with running creatures to a point of diminishing returns as much as it is with getting a specific subset of creatures. I'm not quite sure what that balance is going to be just yet.

Canyon Jerboa is a card I was reminded of today. I don't think it's better than Felidar Retreat by any stretch, but it might be worth considering over Retreat to Emeria if I find that I do end up wanting more creatures.

shermanido37

Post by shermanido37 » 3 years ago

No Qasali Pridemage? I like it better than Sylvan Reclamation.

Cryptolith Rite feels great in token decks, even ones that already have a big land count.
Another brutal selesnya token card is Glare of Subdual.
And may I suggest March of the Multitudes ? It's not a creature but it uses a big board to generate an even bigger board, to hopefully alpha strike for the win.
I feel like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite wants to be in this deck, but again possibly a price issue.
Hero of Bladehold is both token generation and aggressive buffs.
You are looking at tokens and big mana. I'm not sure I understand why Mirari's Wake isn't considered.

MeowZeDung

shermanido37 wrote:
3 years ago
No Qasali Pridemage? I like it better than Sylvan Reclamation.

Cryptolith Rite feels great in token decks, even ones that already have a big land count.
Another brutal selesnya token card is Glare of Subdual.
And may I suggest March of the Multitudes ? It's not a creature but it uses a big board to generate an even bigger board, to hopefully alpha strike for the win.
I feel like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite wants to be in this deck, but again possibly a price issue.
Hero of Bladehold is both token generation and aggressive buffs.
You are looking at tokens and big mana. I'm not sure I understand why Mirari's Wake isn't considered.
Qasali Pridemage was just a silly oversight by me. Thanks for catching that. It's definitely going in, and it's actually making me consider Harmonic Sliver too. Sylvan Reclamation appeals to me for the flexibility of getting a land in hand, but I'll make that swap and see if I find myself wanting more lands in hand very often.

Good call on selesnya's Opposition. I forgot Glare of Subdual existed.

I looked at March of the Multitudes along with Secure the Wastes, Call the Coppercoats, etc. but decided to go all in on the Scute Swarm style token generators, and slots are tight. Still, you make a good point that the convoke does put March in a league of its own.

The rest are all great for obvious reasons, but I don't own them and they aren't in the budget in the near future. I'll add them to the OP exclusions list.

3/19/21
Approximate Total Cost:

shermanido37

Oh my! I never realized that Mirari's Wake was so expensive, though I suppose it is for good reason.

MeowZeDung

shermanido37 wrote:
3 years ago
Oh my! I never realized that Mirari's Wake was so expensive, though I suppose it is for good reason.
I was actually considering this effect the other day whilst perusing @Rumpy5897's Patron of the Orochi primer during a big chunk of downtime at work (sweet deck Rump) and thought "oooh, Keeper of Progenitus might be a sweet include in Karametra". I'm still not fully convinced, but I'm contemplating it.

shermanido37

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
shermanido37 wrote:
3 years ago
I was actually considering this effect the other day whilst perusing @Rumpy5897's Patron of the Orochi primer during a big chunk of downtime at work (sweet deck Rump) and thought "oooh, Keeper of Progenitus might be a sweet include in Karametra". I'm still not fully convinced, but I'm contemplating it.
That heavily depends on your meta, I guess. In mine, there are plenty of opposing decks that would benefit from that effect, like The Ur-Dragon, Omnath, Locus of Creation, etc.
Luckily, Zendikar Resurgent exists, and I believe it's a better fit. It makes Whitemane Lion even more absurd in your deck.

MeowZeDung

shermanido37 wrote:
3 years ago
Luckily, Zendikar Resurgent exists, and I believe it's a better fit. It makes Whitemane Lion even more absurd in your deck.
Yikes. I always forget about that card, probably because I didn't play green a whole lot until relatively recently. Yeah, that's definitely worth it even though it's a noncreature. A mana doubler and a Beast Whisperer stapled together is just what the deck wants. I'll have to pick up a copy as soon as I can since the price is surprisingly reasonable.

shermanido37

I actually have a ton of suggestions for you now that I think of it.
I just noticed your deck has a distinct lack of Skullclamp for a token deck. I probably got confused with Skullwinder earlier. Sure, the clamp is seen everywhere, but for very good reason.

Another consideration to your deck could be the zendikar MDFCs: Emeria's Call // Emeria, Shattered Skyclave is either tokens or a land that triggers landfall. Turntimber Symbiosis // Turntimber, Serpentine Wood is not quite as good, since your creature count is rather low, but still pretty solid overall. Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary is almost strictly better than Skullwinder in your list. Makindi Stampede // Makindi Mesas feels very solid for you. It's true that they can't be fetched by your commander, but really I don't think you'll ever want to do that anyway.

I would also recommend Akroma's Will, Chord of Calling, Zendikar's Roil, Champion of Lambholt, Hornet Queen, Flower // Flourish, Selesnya Sanctuary (just play it and bounce it for all you care).
And finally, the one card that's obviously the first one to go into your deck if you get the budget for it, Field of the Dead. No explanation needed.

Potential cuts could be Unbreakable Formation (best swapped for Akroma's Will), Verdant Confluence, Goldnight Commander, Soul of the Harvest (nontoken clause hurts it in your deck), Turntimber Sower, Ghost Quarter, Field of Ruin, and maybe more if I'll think of them later.

MeowZeDung

@shermanido37

Skullclamp was in my rough draft, but I took it out because several of my token makers double as buff effects, or sometimes the tokens are not ones I'm likely to want to sac even with toughness=1, like Scute Swarms. That, and I'm only running two sac outlets. The more I look at it though, I think the potential for crazy CA is just too good to pass up.

MDFCs are all solid, especially since they can go in land slots. I'm partial to the green ones. Unfortunately, I don't own them. I'll add em to the list.

I thought of Akroma's Will replacing Unbreakable Formation this morning, then forgot. Thanks for the reminder lol.

Chord of Calling is cheap enough now that I just need to get one. Grrr, I forgot Zendikar's Roil existed. It's perfect here, so I'll grab one when I can. To the list they go.

I'm honestly embarrassed I didn't think of the bounceland just to target itself. Smooth.

I almost went with Champion of Lambholt originally, but a single creature providing all my evasion is either 1) easy to blow out or 2) redundant because I've already gone super wide and/or tramply. It might be worth swapping out for a noncreature, I am open to being persuaded.

Hornet Queen seems too expensive and low impact without repeatable reanimate or blink IMO. EDIT: ok, with a sac outlet, a bounce creature, karametra, and Emeria or Emeria angel, hornets could definitely be a thing.

Flower // Flourish does desirable stuff, but I'm just not sure that's a big enough pump to justify it, especially when I could just run Cathars' Crusade over Goldnight Commander if I was ok with losing a creature.

Field of the Dead goes to the list.

Solid feedback, ty.

3/22/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by MeowZeDung 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 3 years ago

I also noticed myself that you don't have alot of outright draw. Most of yours are stapled onto creatures which is fine. But a good Harmonize or Return of the Wildspeaker never hurts. I would recommend Sylvan Library but if you have budget considerations I understand if its a no go. Another one that fits the theme of your deck is Camaraderie .

Harvest Season Emancipation Angel Retreat to Kazandu Song of the Worldsoul Summer Bloom Eerie Interlude Selfless Spirit Selesnya Eulogist Shalai, Voice of Plenty

If your using glare and rites, harvest season REALLY works for you. Emancipation is another bounce creature if you need it, total suggestion not must add. Retreat to kanzadu is another +1 counter generator if you missed it. Admittedly your only really interested in the counters rather than the life. You have plenty of spells to trigger song of the worldsoul as well as the ability to ramp into it. Summer bloom is one of those always lost in the shuffle cards overshadowed by Azusa, Lost but Seeking.

Eerie and Selfless are there for both combo purposes and anti wrath strategy. Eerie can be used offensively as well since it can help retrigger many creatures ETB effects. Ghostway is another effect like it but I do not recommend since that one hit your tokens as well and that zeros them out. Interlude does not but still cant save tokens in a wrath situation. Selfless is just other anti wrath tech and just helps you keep the field you build.

MeowZeDung

@EonAon more good suggestions thanks! I'm off to bed, but I'll look em over closely tomorrow. I can't believe I missed a 3cmc bouncer!

And, yeah draw is interesting because of the colors plus the desire to stay creature dense. Unfortunately, the good white draw involves having less lands than someone, which is not really where this deck looks to be. What I'd really like is a good big draw spell to dump a bunch of mana into since I'll have plenty of it. I thought about Shamanic Revelation, but it's situational unfortunately.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 3 years ago

One last card that gets really stupid with Theros Gods. Flawless Maneuver . With Karametra out its almost always free unless they have bounced or -x/-x your god off the board, and while not impossible its VERY hard to do.

MeowZeDung

EonAon wrote:
3 years ago
One last card that gets really stupid with Theros Gods. Flawless Maneuver . With Karametra out its almost always free unless they have bounced or -x/-x your god off the board, and while not impossible its VERY hard to do.
Yup. It's real good and already in the list. Wouldn't leave home without it with a white token deck.

I like your suggestions. Mostly regarding card draw, so I'm going to jam Harmonize in.

I will absolutely be getting a copy of Emancipation Angel when I can.

Shalai might be worth it. Expensive and a lightning rod, but possibly enough to save a key piece or two. If she survives till I untap she's great.

Harvest Season has some real explosive potential, but might be a little win more if I'm already swinging out or controlling the board with Glare of Subdual.

I love populate, but Song of the Worldsoul and Selesnya Evangel require so much mana just for the first trigger. Once they get rolling they're great though. I am light on grave hate, so I'll keep it in mind.

Sylvan Library goes to the list. That sucker could use another reprint.

3/23/21

IN (1)

OUT (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

BlackGarland

Post by BlackGarland » 2 years ago

I've been a fellow Karametra player for a few years, and she's for sure one of my favorites.

I would say two very easy additions that are both budget, and about as important as Sol Ring, would be, Lotus Cobra, and Stone-Seeder Hierophant. They each discount your Whitemane Lion chains, and all cards you play in general. Stone-Seeder Hierophant is especially strong since not only do you refund a mana on each creature cast, but she scales with any mana-doubler or any land that produces >1.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 2 years ago

Yeah, I had Stone-Seeder Hierophant open on a tab in my phone as a reminder since I just recently learned about it. Good call on cobra! Will update soon!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”