Omnath, Locus of the Roil: Surf 'n' Turf

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

He walked on the water
And swam on the land

- King Missile, Jesus Was Way Cool

This deck started out as a traditional durdley landfall/elemental build that you would expect from this Omnath. I had wanted to make a "fun" deck for other people to play against, since my current stable leans heavily on the control/disruption side of the spectrum, but after playing around with it for a bit I realized that it probably works best as an aggro control deck that grows Omnath as quickly as possible to beat down with while drawing cards from his second ability to protect him with countermagic and other spells. The deck, even in its rough state, plays out well enough, but there are two major concerns:

1) Being commander-centric, the deck can fizzle out if exposed to prolonged removal without a way to interact or protect.
2) As an aggressive deck in a format with 120 or 63 life to chew through, punching through damage is difficult in a color identity without black or white.

I'm currently looking for ways to mitigate these problems without losing some of the deck's strengths, and as the deck is very much a work in progress, I'm open to ideas.

Surf 'n' Turf
Approximate Total Cost:

Chopping block: some of the utility lands, most of the elemental/landfall section, Flamekin Harbinger, Growth Spiral/Explore, Seismic Assault/Living Twister

Potential adds: Lightning Greaves, Sword of Feast and Famine/Sword of Fire and Ice, more protection, more mana sinks

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I keep finding myself drawn to cutting Flamekin Harbinger as well but man I think it is 100% wrong. Same reason I keep Woodland Bellower -- remember that Risen Reef is probably the single best card in these decks :)

A few gems that I have found I really like:
World Shaper - Given easy access to killing it with Omnath, Locus of the Roil, this card has severely overperformed for me.

Dryad Arbor is always amazing with Green Sun's Zenith imho. Other folks have different opinions on that but they are wrong ;)

Llanowar Scout > Farseek - it has some games where it's not as good but on the balance it's a superior card. Similarly, Sakura-Tribe Scout and Skyshroud Ranger always overperform the land ramp spells like Harrow and Farseek in these decks. I do still like Three Visits and Nature's Lore because they both get duals and are mana positive.

I do think that the Life from the Loam + Tranquil Thicket package is always worth running in these shells. Very strong synergy with Seismic Assault also.

Seasoned Pyromancer is deceptively good in these decks. Two instant speed elementals can do a ton of work, but the filtering also good. He's gotten kidna pricy but still good.

Less gemmy but cute

Parcelbeast is really cool. I have it mainly to live the dream of putting it on Scaretiller but it has been pretty good.

Scaretiller has always been bonkers for me

Regal Force and Whisperwood Elemental are my token expensive fun elementals that are pretty good :)

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

Scapeshift, even if you don't have any sort of land combo, seems great for this commander.

If you are wanting to accelerate Omnath's abilities, would Sakashima the Impostor, Sakashima of a Thousand Faces and/or Spark Double have any place? They could accelerate the original Omnath's last ability pretty well I would think.

I've never seen anyone play this commander so I'm just throwing out a few ideas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”