Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

Rakdos the Defiler - Reckless Aggression

Rakdos the Defiler

Commander

Artifacts (Non-Ramp)

Approximate Total Cost:

About the Deck

I have taken this deck apart but am leaving this topic up just in case I want to revisit the deck in the future or in case someone else would be interested.

If you enjoy the idea that you are still in the game as long as you have at least 1 life, this might be your kind of deck. This deck embraces the power at any cost attitude. Games often go quickly with this deck with the massive amounts of damage done, although sometimes it is just a quick game for you. This deck runs pretty much zero classic interaction/reactive cards, this deck wants to be the one that others react to.

Rakdos the Defiler is a very aggressive creature that embodies the high-risk, high-reward lifestyle. If he doesn't have hexproof or shroud and you swing, there is a chance you will sacrifice half of your non-demon permanents and then you get hit with a Swords to Plowshares, but sometimes that gamble is worth risking. Often, he is just used as a threat and can go an entire game without even swinging. Sometimes, Rakdos is played and then used as a blocker or even sacrificed to . . . Sacrifice or Burnt Offering on the following turn to get a big mana turn, or sacrificed to Disciple of Bolas to get some more cards in hand. In the past I've had a number of cards that add double-strike in the deck and these work great with Rakdos, but I've removed most of them since Rakdos doesn't always swing (although they are great with the other demons in the deck). Deciding to swing with Rakdos can be a gamble, but if you can cripple a control/combo deck trying to establish itself that can be totally worth it, despite the drain on your own resources and it being a multiplayer game. You will be more likely to swing as players are eliminated.

Often this deck wins with some form of a lethal combo, or a not completely lethal combo followed up with swinging with some big creatures for clean-up. Sometimes, getting your lifetotal really low, using Repay in Kind and then swinging with some big creatures will be your path to victory. It is also possible to win with Liliana's Contract due to the variety of demons in the deck.

There are a number of higher mana cost cards in this deck but the ramp (permanent or temporary) often makes up for that.

Doomsday does not have any insant win on the same turn combos for the most part unless you have a massive amount of mana available. Often playing this is just a a statement that you plan to win the game in five or less turns or die trying. Sometimes that works out, sometimes an opponent plays a wheel effect. It is amusing seeing people react to "Doomsday, pass" for the first time when they are used to it winning on the spot.

Why Rakdos the Defiler?

Rakdos the Defiler is a lot of fun but clearly not for everyone. I enjoy the threat he presents and the risk vs. payoff involved.

This deck could probably have a different commander and still work fairly well. The other two versions of Rakdos could make fine replacements. Greven, Predator Captain would probably fit in fairly seemlessly with a few changes, but it isn't quite the same.

There is something about the original Rakdos that speaks to me and I will probably keep him at the helm unless something really crazy comes along.

Notable Combos

Havoc Festival + Wound Reflection or Archfiend of Despair - With this set up in play, each player loses half of their life at the beginning of their turn and then opponents lose the rest at the end of their turn.

Pox or Fraying Omnipotence or Dire Fleet Ravager + Wound Reflection or Archfiend of Despair - These cards combined will take a huge chunk of life off of your opponents or possibly kill them (depending on which cards are used).

Wound Reflection or Archfiend of Despair + Repay in Kind - Assuming a significant difference in life totals prior to casting Repay in Kind, this can do some serious damage.

Pox or Fraying Omnipotence or Dire Fleet Ravager + Cryptborn Horror - Playing one of the former cards prior to Cryptborn Horror will make a massively threatening creature. If you can add haste into the equation, that will kill someone most likely. Adding Flameshadow Conjuring or Mirror March make things scarier for the whole table.

Repay in Kind + Leechridden Swamp - If you get your life total to 1, easiest to set up with Necropotence or Kuro, Pitlord if you play him, this will kill everyone that is not you.

Flameshadow Conjuring or Mirror March + Dire Fleet Ravager - This is potentially going to do a ton of damage.

Vilis, Broker of Blood + Infernal Contract or Cruel Bargain or Pain's Reward - This can draw an amount of cards equal to half of your life + 4 (with Pain's Reward it can be more or less). This can either be to get one of the other above combos going, or maybe just set up a big discard for a later turn Living Death.

Other Cards to Consider

Rakdos, the Showstopper - This card can work out wonderfully, especially with Flameshadow Conjuring or Mirror March to up the chances of killing stuff. I've had it in the deck at various points and currently have it removed to try out Overseer of the Damned. If you see a lot of decks that go wide this can be a great card.

Fervor - I've had some good luck with Fervor in the past. I dropped it not too long ago to add in either Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots (I can't recall which was missing), which is a trade off of mass haste for a little more protection on a creature. This will potentially be added back in at a later date.

Maralen of the Mornsong - I've had this in the deck previously, it combos with Stranglehold to potentially lock the whole table and with Ob Nixilis, Unshackled to do a ton of damage. The combos this card pulls off are great but telegraphed pretty heavily when people have seen them so they will know to get appropriate removal when they get to tutor. I've removed this to try out Kardur, Doomscourge for the time being.

Kuro, Pitlord - I've played it in the past. This dude is expensive but can let you kill off all targetable creatures on the board with no mana at instant speed. Definitely not a must have but it is worth trying, I'm sure it will be back in my deck some day since it has won me games before.

Magus of the Mirror - I've used it before and it works well with all of the self life drain effects. This very much telegraphs your plan but that's not a big deal and it can eat a removal spell in the worst case. I imagine Mirror Universe would work out much the same but I do not own a copy and it is doubtful that I'll acquire one at the current price.

Budget Options

This deck includes a number of costly cards but they aren't crucial to the deck functioning, they are mainly efficiency/optimization oriented cards and/or part of the manabase. You could very easily run a similar deck on a much lower budget. I'd say that Pox is pretty great to have as a somewhat pricier card, it can do some big work. Archfiend of Despair is one of the more useful expensive cards that I'd probably look to add once your budget allows. A manabase with more basics or dual color lands that are less efficient/come into play tapped is totally viable.

Further Notes

I've had this deck for quite a few years now but haven't messed with the decklist much over the past year or so. Overseer of the Damned, Kardur, Doomscourge, Dream Devourer, and Rakshasa Debaser were just added to the deck but I have not had the opportunity to see them in action yet. I plan to review some other ideas I may have neglected trying out.
Last edited by Ruiner 11 months ago, edited 5 times in total.

Tags:

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

If you like to gamble, you can break your Doomsday pile with Hellcarver Demon.

Ruiner

I ran Hellcarver Demon years ago in the past but never really had a good payoff with it so I dropped it, prior to ever having Doomsday in the deck. Your Doomsday suggestion is pretty great. Just throw Havoc Festival and Wound Reflection into the Doomsday pile, if no one gets enchantment removal you probably win.

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

Rakdos suicide is a very fun archetype, so I'm sure you're deck is also a lot of fun to play. Some considerations:
Entomb seems like a great fit here with reanimation spells and great targets. In line with Entomb I also think Kroxa would be a good add, as a resilient threat.
You're playing Rain of Gore, but not Tainted Remedy. Rain of Gore is quite a bit worse, as it doesn't prevent life gain, nor interact with reset lifetotal cards such as Repay in Kind. I would swap the too and if you're looking for another similar effect play Sulfuric Vortex as well.
Terror of the Peaks has been really strong for me, I would consider that card as a more reliable extra damage dealer than Mirror March, which seems underpowered for a six mana enchantment.
Necrologia is also a powerful card draw option you could consider.

Ruiner

Yeah, I've thought of adding Entomb and Buried Alive at various points over the years if I want to lean more hardcore into the reanimator angle.

Rain of Gore does prevent life gain, it is nearly identical to Tainted Remedy but for one less mana. Repay in Kind doesn't really combo with that anyway since nobody should be gaining life off of dropping everyone to the lowest life total. Rain of Gore really only differs from Tainted Remedy on life swap effects like Magus of the Mirror or Mirror Universe due to me being the source of that effect but I'm not really running any of those at the moment. It isn't an effect I've relied upon so much, but it's just a cheap little efficient hate card on people running lifegain effects to run in a flex slot in the deck. I've definitely used Tainted Remedy in other decks and am a big fan of it (hitting people with Beacon of Immortality is pretty sweet). I could easily drop Rain of Gore for a totally different effect but it stalls enough of the usual black lifegain effects like Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Exsanguinate and randomly catches lifelink stuff, so I haven't felt the need to drop it yet.

Mirror March is kind of like a gambler's Warstorm Surge but Mirror March has the bonus of getting multiple ETB effects going off. Dockside Extortionist, Dualcaster Mage, Disciple of Bolas, Dire Fleet Ravager, Abhorrent Overlord, Master of Cruelties, Sower of Discord, and Archfiend of Despair all gain added benefits with multiple copies beyond just extra damage. That said, I do like the suggestion of Terror of the Peaks and I may have to try it out as an additional effect in the future.

Necrologia seems pretty cool too.

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

Sorry, had mixed up Repay in Kind and the life swapping effects indeed. That said I would still consider Tainted Remedy over Rain of Gore, as not preventing lifegain from lifelink is a pretty big drawback, given it's one of the most common sources of lifegain. If you check the gatherer page for Rain of Gore you'll see the following ruling:
15/04/2013 This does not apply to life gain caused by combat damage from a creature with lifelink.
If lifegain is quite big in your meta perhaps it's worth playing both or something like Rampaging Ferocidon.

Ruiner

capitacommunist wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry, had mixed up Repay in Kind and the life swapping effects indeed. That said I would still consider Tainted Remedy over Rain of Gore, as not preventing lifegain from lifelink is a pretty big drawback, given it's one of the most common sources of lifegain. If you check the gatherer page for Rain of Gore you'll see the following ruling:
15/04/2013 This does not apply to life gain caused by combat damage from a creature with lifelink.
If lifegain is quite big in your meta perhaps it's worth playing both or something like Rampaging Ferocidon.
Wow, definitely dropping Rain of Gore now. I never would have thought that was how the card would be interpreted, since your opponent's creature has lifelink I would think your opponent would be seen as the controller of the ability. I've definitely inadvertently messed up some games with that over the years. The effect of lifegain hate isn't crucial to the deck at all so it is no big loss.

I've updated the original post with the following deck changes:

Added Cards
Dream Devourer - Saving cards from my own self-discard effects may be worthwhile.
Undying Evil - Cheap efficient creature protection as long as exile isn't happening.

Removed Cards
Rain of Gore - For previously discussed reasons.
Dualcaster Mage - While it is good and has a crazy combo with Heat Shimmer, holding up 3 mana is often an issue when I'd rather be moving full steam ahead.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”