Godzilla, King of the Monsters

NGW
Legacy/Commander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by NGW » 3 years ago

As a child of the 90's I absolutely grew up on old kaiju flicks, tokusatsu and all that fun imported from Japan stuff. Godzilla was, of course, the king of them all and I have had a lifelong love of the franchise. So when the first tidbits of info trickled out that Ikoria would feature alternate art cards featuring the big G himself, yeah, excited was an understatement. I quickly called "dibs" within my playgroup with the reveal of the buy-a-box promo Godzilla card and with the release of the set I quickly put a list together and over the course of the absolute horror show that was the year 2020 I tweaked and adjusted the list into something that functions far, far better than it has any right to and that I always have a huge grin on my face while playing. I am a combo and control player at heart, so building a deck that is so combat oriented, a deck that is literally all about windmill slamming giant creatures with little regard for the average cmc of the deck was a huge departure for me and it was something I absolutely needed.

I had a few rules in mind while initially putting the deck together. I was going to avoid running a bunch of the usual mana dorks, this was a Godzilla deck and I didn't want to take away from that by casting a bunch of puny little elves or birds to generate mana, it just felt like a flavor fail to me. I also wanted to avoid the lame "ball lightning tribal" approach most people seemed to want to go with the deck when first spoiled. I get that the idea was to try and do as much as possible to take advantage of Godzilla's ability, but I just never found it all that worthwhile to me. While I did initially run some less than ideal creatures just based on them having p>t, over time I realized that I rather make the deck more thematic than mechanical in being built around my commander and I opted for a power 4+ theme instead and I have mostly stuck to that, only breaking it for cards that REALLY warranted their running despite not meeting the power restriction (see: Neyith as the best example of this). Like I said, this is a deck that shouldn't function as well as it does, the average cmc is pretty high up there, but it just works, I can't explain it. It works and it wins, not all the time, but often enough that I'm really happy with it, especially being an aggro deck in a format where aggro is often the worst possible strategy.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by NGW 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

NGW
Legacy/Commander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by NGW » 3 years ago

Couple little changes, added in Toralf and Blasphemous Act.

Deck has gotten so hard to make cuts for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”