Degenerate Wizardry (Blue Braids)

RogHimself
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RogHimself » 3 years ago

G'day MTG-players!

All-round consent is that Blue Braids is a fun casual commander with a group-huggy character. Welcome to my version, where I have tried to make her as degenerate as possible.

The deck really goes deep into what blue does best: control magic in the form of bounce-spells, theft, drawing cards and a lot of counter-magic to provide back-up for all that degenerate blue things that Magic has to offer. It's certainly not a deck I advise you to bring to the table every night (have some mercy on your friends, please), but still is very fun to pilot. It usually comes down to playing 1 versus 3, which when succeeds, feels very satisfying.

Degenerate Wizardry
Approximate Total Cost:

When playing with the same playgroup every week, you can be assured that your friends won't let you get away with all the degenerate stuff they have faced before without at least them trying to stop you. The worst feeling with playing Braids is to cast her for four mana, having to wait until your next upkeep to get value, and have her being removed just before your turn starts. Therefore I have scoured Scryfall for as many cards as possible to give her the needed protection. This includes cards that can be set-up before Braids is into play and give her immediate protection the turn she comes down, Think Patron Wizard, Kira, Great Glass-Spinner, Spellskite or Daring Apprentice. Or do it with some free countermagic that you definitely should be holding back. Using obscure free countermagic like Thwart, Foil, Misdirection or Commandeer to keep Braids or any other bomb online almost always pays off.

Some noteworthy degenerate play-patterns:
- Wizardcycle a Vedalken Aethermage or Step Through on instant-speed during your upkeep with Braids' trigger on the stack. Tutor a juicy wizard like Galecaster Colossus or Azami, Lady of Scrolls and put it into play for free. Generate immediately value, since their ability doesn't require haste to activate.
* Take over your opponents' commander with Gilded Drake and bounce the drake back to the owners hand with something like Tidespout Tyrant, Hullbreaker Horror, Scourge of Fleets or Galecaster Colossus, just so you can cast it again.
* Sphinx of the Second Sun gives you a second beginning phase, so that includes an extra untap phase, draw phase and upkeep. It's especially nice when you have a Leyline of Anticipation on the field. You can basically use all your mana in second main, since it will become untapped again in the second beginning phase. Since everything is castable on instant-speed you can unload your other bomb straight away.
* Throw in a Riptide Shapeshifter for free with Braids' trigger and just wait patiently to sacrifice the shapeshifter to trade it in for a Sphinx, Djinn or Praetor ;-).
Last edited by RogHimself 5 months ago, edited 7 times in total.

Tags:

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Though I think there may be ethical considerations in trying to assist a deck like this, I think Paradox Haze will really give you some gas.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

RogHimself

I have pondered over Fatespinner. In practice it will lead to people skipping their attack turn in the early rounds, which is not really helping my game plan. I wouldn't choose this over any other wizard.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

RogHimself wrote:
3 years ago
I have pondered over Fatespinner. In practice it will lead to people skipping their attack turn in the early rounds, which is not really helping my game plan. I wouldn't choose this over any other wizard.
I tried to edit the post pretty quickly when I reread the card. I was thinking that it gave the option to skip one's upkeep, and that wasn't the case.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

RogHimself

Does anyone think Misdirection finds a home in this deck? A zero mana turn 4 instant used as protection for braids, whilst also able to remove the bomb he/she just dropped? Or too situational? Feels like if there ever should be a home it might be here...

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

Misdirection is a great and versatile card. It also doubles as a counterspell for counterspells. It is certainly worth a shot.

Have you thought about Disallow? This could stop a player from getting the benefit from Braids on a crucial turn and also doubles as a counterspell. Not sure if holding up 3 mana is a problem for you though.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 3 years ago

I like to use Vanishing and Vodalian Illusionist to phase Braids out during my turn, so nobody else gets her upkeep triggers, and she's protected.

RogHimself

Post by RogHimself » 5 months ago

UPDATE 06/10
After making this post more than two years ago I thought it was time to share a revised version.

A lot of new cards have been released in the meanwhile. Part of those were awesome new degenerate bombs that Braids knows how to work with. Think Portal to Phyrexia, Hullbreaker Horror or Ancient Silver Dragon. Also I have played countless more games with her, which made me put more time into focussing in the deck as much in it's degeneracy. Turns out Roil Elemental, Treachery, Void Winnower and Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur are all really annoying cards to play against.

To improve the constistancy lots of extra draw has been added to the deck. Impulse, Archmage's Charm, Thirst for Discovery and Gush are all great draw spells that give more options when cast whilst Braids' trigger is on the stack. They're also very usefull spells to trigger Hullbreaker Horror. Standstill is an obscure card that we love to see in our opening-hand to stall the early-game. Temple Bell and Mikokoro, Center of the Sea work great with Consecrated Sphinx.

Finally, I have integrated a subtheme into the list that fits with theme of the deck: Wizards. Since Braids, Conjurer Adept is a wizard herself, pay-offs like Galecaster Colossus and Azami, Lady of Scrolls always generate immediate value. Same goes for Patron Wizard. Siren Stormtamer, Malevolent Hermit // Benevolent Geist, Daring Apprentice, Wizards like Glen Elendra Archmage and Venser, Shaper Savant bring protection. Sower of Temptation likes to steal creatures, and Spellseeker likes to search for Cyclonic Rift. Even our ramp fits the subtheme: Stonybrook Banneret and Sea Scryer (this last one has been errata'd to a wizard).

Hope you enjoy!

RogHimself

Post by RogHimself » 1 month ago

Added Scroll Rack to this deck, even though at first glance you wouldn't say this is a Scroll Rack type of list (no topdeck benefits/shuffle possibilities).
Scroll Rack is great in response to Braids, Conjurer Adept's upkeep-trigger and allows us to dig deep into our libary to primarily find any of the bomb-cards and make the most out of our free card. Secondarily we'd like to find protection for our free bomb.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”