Ygra, Eater of All

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 1 week ago

I've played several green Voltron control commanders. Sarulf, Realm Eater, Legolas, Counter of Kills, and Raised by Giants with Baeloth Barrityl, Entertainer.

I believe Ygra, Eater of All is the perfect commander for this kind of deck. Ideally I use tutors or draw to get Creeping Corrosion or Fade from History board wipe all creatures and artifacts, and take someone out with Ygra via commander damage. Drawing a bunch of cards of Viridian Revel wouldn't hurt either. I don't really run many artifacts since I want to be blowing them up.

This is the decklist I've quickly put together. Any advice would be appreciated:
Ygra, Eater of All

Commander 1

Other 1

Approximate Total Cost:

What do you guys think?

I guess I could either cut all the enchantments and run more board wipes like Fade from History, Bane of Progress, Rampage of the Clans, or keep the enchantments. I feel like the deck has strong enchantments, so I should keep these:
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Tags:

Artaud
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Artaud » 1 week ago

You lose from any Edict effect or spell.
Aside of that there are so many possibilities of using own food-creatures in black-green I don't know when to start and you seem to use none of them. Bane of Progress + Corpse Dance for instance and it's the simplest one.

Phoenixlance

Post by Phoenixlance » 1 week ago

Edict effects are always the natural born enemy of Voltron, and unfortunately there really isn't a lot of ways around that in Golgari colors. Tajuru Preserver is the only card I can think of that directly stops you from sacrificing your own permanents, so that is probably worth the inclusion. Otherwise, the only other way to go is to have other creatures in play in order to insulate yourself. Amassing creature tokens could work for this--Awakening Zone for example--while still synergizing with your gameplan, but there are so many "sacrifice nontoken creature" effects being printed now (Accursed Marauder, Sheoldred's Edict) that even that approach may not work.

The other way--and probably the best way to go--would be to use Reanimate effects or "scam" effects (ie Not Dead After All) to recur Ygra if it does get sacrificed. Reanimation effects can also double as ways to take other threats from your opponents to progress your own board/protect Ygra from future edicts.

I think I would fully lean into Creeping Corrosion effects to serve as boardwipes rather than worry about taking advantage of your own food-creatures. You can probably trim down some of the enchantments (I'm personally not a fan of the Case or Umbras) to stop yourself from losing too much from Fade from History et al.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

NZB2323

Artaud wrote:
1 week ago
Aside of that there are so many possibilities of using own food-creatures in black-green I don't know when to start and you seem to use none of them. Bane of Progress + Corpse Dance for instance and it's the simplest one.
Wouldn't Bane of Progress destroy itself because Ygra makes it an artifact?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 1 week ago

Ygra doesn't have evasion or trample, so the wipes that give opponents creatures will just clock things up again.

NZB2323

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I think this is the list I'm going to try out.
Ygra, Eater of All

Commander 1

Other 1

Approximate Total Cost:

In:
Out:
Current Decks

Retired Decks

Artaud

Post by Artaud » 1 week ago

NZB2323 wrote:
1 week ago
Artaud wrote:
1 week ago
Wouldn't Bane of Progress destroy itself because Ygra makes it an artifact?
That's the point of having repeatable mass removal - at 5 mana instant speed (assuming no other of your creatures dies afterwards) over and over.
If you like to be more selective then Nullmage Shepherd lets you kill food-creatures one by one and can be cast prior to Ygra. Add Seedborn Muse for more frequent usage. There is also Molder Slug but it kills itselft eventually.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 week ago

With all the "dies" reanimation cards Malakir Rebirth, Undying Malice, Feign Death, Not Dead After All, Snake Umbra, Bear Umbra having at least one sacrifice outlet, say Phyrexian Tower is not going to make them look silly against a Swords to Plowshares type effect.
You've probably got too many of these effect now. You are going to lose all the counters anyway so they could just be extra mana to cast Ygra, Eater of All out again.
Tyvar's Stand is a better option.

Retribution of the Ancients just keeps killing off all the toughness 2 or less creatures for b. Will gain a +1/+1 for killing toughness 1 creatures.

Kill Switch can be used to tap out all your opponents creatures for Voltron every turn.

These options are not taking into account budget, Force of Vigor, Boseiju, Who Endures.

More cheap artifact removal, Seal of Primordium, Tear Asunder, Crumble, Natural State, Oxidize, Pick Your Poison.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 6 days ago

yeti1069 wrote:
1 week ago
Ygra doesn't have evasion or trample, so the wipes that give opponents creatures will just clock things up again.
With Fade from History the Bears would be destroyed because Ygra makes them artifacts, which gives Ygra more artifacts.

No trample, but I do have some ways of granting evasion:
I was hoping there was a planeswalker that had trample as one ability and destroying an artifact as a 2nd ability that was reasonably costed. Something like a mix between Vivien, Arkbow Ranger and Vivien Reid.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 6 days ago

Shizo, Death's Storehouse not at its best when your opponents creatures are artifacts :P

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 5 days ago

Season of gathering is great for Ygra, Eater of All.

-can provide trample
-can blow up all artifacts
-huge card draw

I think the list with more board wipes and less enchantments would look like this:
Ygra, Eater of All

Commander 1

Other 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Current Decks

Retired Decks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”