A Sword in Each Talon — Kykar, Wind's Fury

Antis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Antis » 3 years ago

Copy/Paste Personal EDH Philosophy Bit
In building my decks, my end goal is "strong but fair". In other words, I want to win, yes, but not at the expense of fun. For me, that means:
  • No infinite combos
  • No MLD
  • Very few discard/countermagic/tutors
  • Try to limit format staples only to decks they fit mechanically or thematically
There are exceptions, but these are my general rules. The bit about tutors is there because if I wanted to play the same cards every game, I wouldn't be playing Commander =)
Hello, internet persons! Today, I have for you something fun, something maybe not entirely common, something that finally scratched an itch I'd had for a very long time. For years, one of my future-deck piles was Equipment. I've tried Nahiri, the Lithomancer, I've tried some Boros generals, but nothing was really speaking to me. I wanted to add blue to the classic red and white, but I didn't find any Jeskai generals at the time appealing for this goal, either. Then I had a little break from Magic and came back just after M20 came out. I was going through my cards and dug up my Equipment pile. Did a search to see what new Jeskai commanders were printed during my hiatus and came upon this thing:

At first sight, I thought Kykar was just okay as an Equipment.dec pilot. Then I thought about it some more, then I played with it, and I saw the possibilities unravel before me. Kykar, it turns out, is an excellent Equipment commander. BTW it was only after I made this deck that I found out what were people usually using him for =) Let's see the list:

Wings and Sticks

General

Recursion

Approximate Total Cost:

Possible cuts ATM
  • Catch // Release — A really cute card that's under testing. Basically, Catch is really neat, Release sucks hard. I want to see if Catch is good enough to warrant a spot by itself.
  • Urza, Lord High Artificer — So here's what always haooens when Urza hits the table: the token maybe gets in an attack or two, Urza maybe pays for one equip cost, then Urza gets killed. It seems I just don't have enough artifacts to make him shine.

So, what are all the ways Kykar is awesome for an Equipment deck? First off, he has built-in evasion for the direct Voltron strategy. He makes evasive tokens when I'm casting Equipment, which can serve both as backup evasive Equipment bearers in case Kykar himself falls victim to targeted removal, and as a meat wall to protect my life total while I'm Voltroning. He can also sacrifice the tokens for mana. This comes in handy because of the deck's Jeskai colors. I don't have green for ramp and there are these turns where you're just one mana short of doing all the awesome you have in store. Well, Kykar can cover that. Whether I need to cast that second big spell, or equip that big stick, he can push me there.

The single best thing about Kykar, however, is that it's all of the above on one card. This flexibility is the basis of the deck's considerable win rate. On to the special mentions:
Cards you expected to see but don't
  • Sunforger — Every time I'm in Boros, I put it in. Every time, it underperforms and I take it out. Maybe once I get to building that Zirda, the Dawnwaker deck I'm carrying in my head, my Sunforger will finally find home.
  • Hammer of Nazahn — Yeah, gotta get me one of those.
  • Blackblade Reforged — As I mentioned in the Bonehoard writeup, BH is almost as good as Blackblade and even has some advantages over it. Not 100% sure I need it, TBH.
  • Bonehoard — This is a severely underplayed card. It's a colorless Lhurgoyf that leaves an Equipment behind. In a four-player game, it routinely grants about +8/+8 or more. Yeah, it's no Blackblade Reforged, but honestly, it's not that much worse, either. Try it.
  • Heartseeker — At the time of this writing, Blackblade Reforged is in more than 18K decks on EDHrec. Bonehoard is in a bit over 3K. Heartseeker sits on a paltry 615. Eh, it's an artifact that basically says "5, Tap an untapped creature you control: Destroy target creature." It's a niche card at best, I admit. But I still like it. Granted, I do like it more in my Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient deck, but it does decent work in here as well. Hey, if a card draws targeted removal, it can't be that bad, right? And if you can cheat the costs, maybe cast it instantly and have it come into play attached with Sigarda's Aid, well, surprise, mothertrampler.
  • Fires of Invention — There's a recent thread that debates the usefulness of this card and though it's not the all-star I thought it would be when it was spoiled, it's damn good here. First off, Kykar costs four, which means if I'm casting Fires on four lands, I can throw him in as well. This deck very rarely does things outside of my turn, so the sorcery limitation is not much of a downside. As for playing only two spells per turn, well, this is an Equipment deck — I have a lot of non-spell things to do with the mana I save.
  • Heavenly Blademaster — This card is murder on wings. With a few sticks lying around and a source of haste, she can end someone for 5W. And even without haste, if there happens to be several Spirit tokens around when she hits the table, a hefty +5/+5 Anthem does good work as well.
  • Nahiri, the Lithomancer — Good old OG Nahiri. I must say, I like the card much more in the 99, with all these extra colors around. Cheats casting costs? Check. Cheats equip costs? Check. Makes tokens? Check. Is a noncreature spell that makes a Spirit with Kykar? Check. What was that? Recursion to the battlefield? Now you're just braggin'. No, she's not gonna ult, ever, but she doesn't have to.
  • Ugin, the Ineffable — Just like Nahiri, this guy covers so much ground it's insane. Makes my Equipment (and mana rocks) cheaper, can destroy pretty much anything, makes tokens that draw me a card when they die. But the best detail is, guess what creature type Ugin's tokens are? That's right, they're Spirits, which means Kykar can eat them for R and get me the card anytime. Profit!
  • Narset, Enlightened Master — Back when Narset was first spoiled, I wanted to build a deck around her. It went pretty well, I even got a prerelease foil copy of her, but I slowly realized that the deck was gravitating towards a degenerate mess of extra turns and combat steps. I abandoned the idea, but the shiny card remained in my binder until I saw an opportunity and I made her a part of Kykar's 99. She's been striking terror into the hearts of my enemies ever since. One or two triggers can push me quite far ahead and thanks to first strike, almost any Equipment can make her not fear the blockers.
  • Commander's Insignia — Another criminally underplayed card. For only one more mana over Glorious Anthem, you get a card that has no problem having double, triple, even quadruple the effect. And how is this card in less than half the decks than Collective Blessing? It costs two less mana, has one less color, and unless your commander costs six or more mana, it can easily have the same effect. Do yourself a favor and get this card for your Go Wide deck now.
  • Skyfire Phoenix — I like this little guy. It may look as if it doesn't quite fit in here, but an uncounterable, evasive, hasty body whenever I recast my general is a pretty sweet deal. Especially later in the game, when Kykar starts getting expensive and I don't have mana to cast another spell with him to make a Spirit. With Phoenix, I always have a backup plan.
  • Clash of Realities — This is just a funny little inclusion. Haven't tested it much, yet, but the potential of adding three damage to a non-Spirit creature to every noncreature spell I cast seems pretty good. Plus, the card looks sweet in foil.
From an "Eh, I guess he'll do" commander choice to one of the most fun decks I've ever played, that's the story of Kykar_Equipment.dec for me. A strong, fair, flexible deck suitable for a wide variety of tables. My primary concern right now is to spiff up the mana base. I'm content with what the inclusion of the four little blue draw spells did to the overall consistency of the deck, but the color availability is still a bit of a problem.

Comments and suggestions are, of course, welcome.

Antis, out.

Tags:

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Kykar Voltron seems sweet. I dig it. I've always said that such a deck would love to run Sublime Archangel, Angelic Exaltation, and Mace of the Valiant EDIT: Oh yeah, and Sigil of Valor.

The only other comments on your list I'll make - hopefully constructive - are:

1) Overburden is quite a griefer card in a low creature count Kykar list and you'll want to be sure your meta won't despise you for it

2) I think your mana acceleration package would be instantly improved by replacing Commander's Sphere and Thran Dynamo (which don't help you ramp into Kykar) with Arcane Signet and Talisman of Conviction/Talisman of Progress, or even Mind Stone. Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale is on theme like Sword of the Animist, but doesn't help you hit t3 Kykar unfortunately.

3) I really like Clash of Realities here since you'll probably be saccing spirits pretty much right away to pay for equip costs, so the downside doesn't exist for your list like a typical Kykar list. Nice inclusion!
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Antis

Post by Antis » 3 years ago

Sublime Archangel &co. would make sense on paper, but practice tells me these cards would be too unreliable. A spellslinger Kykar can probably throw out tokens in greater numbers, but the Sword Bird version is more tame in this regard. If you compare that with cards like Bonehoard and Commander's Insignia, the disparity becomes more obvious.

1) Overburden — Yes, it's nasty. And yes, I do also run Rhystic Study and Smothering Tithe. I'm mostly balancing that out by having zero ways to search for it. Overburden is most oppressive at the beginning of the game, but the games where I actually draw into it and cast it early are very few and far between. It's like that dream Land > Sol Ring > Greaves start. It's cool when it happens, but it happens so rarely that people just accept it like any other "You got a good hand" situation. At least in my group, anyway.

2) You're totally right. I probably should've specified it, but when I talked about "spiffing up my mana base", I did mean the mana rocks, too.

3) This is the downside of my low-tutor approach. I seldom draw into this card, so I still don't have enough data on it. I do hope it proves as useful as it seems, but I still have to wait and see.

Of course, I have a whole list of cards I'd like to try out. One that I've been toying with is Response // Resurgence. There's this Ghired player in my group who really makes me want to add more ways to shoot down a 2/5. And the extra combat thing that adds vigilance instead of untapping your creatures is neat, since they remain ready to block even after the second attack. I'm also thinking about Haunted Plate Mail. It's another noncreature creature and it could serve as a Wrath insurance. I think nothing captures the essence of EDH more than killing somebody with a dirt-cheap reject-bin card nobody else plays =) Also, it's a Spirit when it animates, so I could technically animate it, recast Kykar, then sac it for mana. COMBO POTENTIAL TO THE MAX RIGHT THERE!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”