Akiri & Esior - The Tale of Kor and Owl

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Updated decklist! Look down or click here!

Hell, Commander Legends is better than I expected! No wonder I needed to start brewing.

After several attempts to go down the artifact route, I settled on Akiri, Line-Slinger + any blue partner. I settled on Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, because a second Akiri just sounds gross. Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator could be a replacement (focussing the treasure plan) as would Esior, Wardwing Familiar (protecting Akiri).

I try to dump some artifacts onto the battlefield (mostly treasures, thopters, and stone) to buff Akiri and give here double strike. Some of the nicer Staxx pieces (even if I don't want to go this road to far), some card draw, equipments, and control elements.

After a few test games the biggest problem is giving Akiri evasion. She was 13/3 and couldn't get past some blockers... The mana requirements are weird, too. On the one hand you REALLY want to cast her on turn two, but on the other hand there are the blue cantrips...
Sakashima feels a bit weird, I like the idea of having double Akiri, but in four games I never felt the need to cast him. Maybe one of the other partners would fit better?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Decklist

//Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by cheonice 7 months ago, edited 6 times in total.

Tags:

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

Akiri and artifacts are a very fun deck type. Mardu artifacts (Tymna/Akiri) is my go-to deck and is a lot of fun.
I think you're list covers a lot of the bases. My main piece of feedback would be whether the blue splash is worth it. Right now the blue seems more a splash and you were questioning the partner choice as well. Staying with Boros would make your mana base more robust and give you partner options that fit well - Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder, or Jeska, Thrice Reborn.
If you stay with the blue, I think I would cut the cantrips as they slow down your game plan. Instead you could add a couple of other draw spells - some good options would be Thoughtcast, Thirst for Knowledge. I would also cut Counterspell (double blue seems difficult to achieve consistently) and look at options such as Negate, Swan Song. Hindering Light and Dovin's Veto. Removal wise I would play Swords to Plowshares and Generous Gift over Dispatch and Chaos Warp.
For evasion, another good option could be O-Naginata. Elspeth, Knight Errant, and the Royal Scions could also help.
Some cards I think you can cut: Inspiring Sanctuary, Mirage Mirror, Saheeli the Gifted, Ghirapur Aether-Grid.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Thanks a lot for your responses!
Tevesh wrote:
3 years ago
Key to the City helps you punch in, draws cards and adds a power to Akiri.
Key to the City is a great idea! I will add that instead of Trailblazer's Boots.
capitacommunist wrote:
3 years ago
Akiri and artifacts are a very fun deck type. Mardu artifacts (Tymna/Akiri) is my go-to deck and is a lot of fun.
I think you're list covers a lot of the bases. My main piece of feedback would be whether the blue splash is worth it. Right now the blue seems more a splash and you were questioning the partner choice as well. Staying with Boros would make your mana base more robust and give you partner options that fit well - Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder, or Jeska, Thrice Reborn.
If you stay with the blue, I think I would cut the cantrips as they slow down your game plan. Instead you could add a couple of other draw spells - some good options would be Thoughtcast, Thirst for Knowledge. I would also cut Counterspell (double blue seems difficult to achieve consistently) and look at options such as Negate, Swan Song. Hindering Light and Dovin's Veto. Removal wise I would play Swords to Plowshares and Generous Gift over Dispatch and Chaos Warp.
For evasion, another good option could be O-Naginata. Elspeth, Knight Errant, and the Royal Scions could also help.
Some cards I think you can cut: Inspiring Sanctuary, Mirage Mirror, Saheeli the Gifted, Ghirapur Aether-Grid.
Yep... The biggest question is: What does blue really add to the mix? Red gives you a similar type of artifact support and synergies as blue does. Black brings in more attacking power, namely Marionette Master, Cranial Plating and tutors. But blue supports our plan with counters to protect our board. Nothing is worse than a removed attacking Akiri... But focussing on Boros sounds right nontheless, making blue the support colour. I will find room for your suggestions. Thank you!

Your Mardu-Shops looks really fun, maybe I need to test this approach, too!

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

Some testing made this into a real beast of a voltron deck. So I tried to focus on cards that support that route: More equipments, more Counterspells and control pieces, less artifact snyergies.

Akiri is capable of killing some of the more powerful decks in my playgroup, mainly by being faster than ramp strategies and their artifact mass removal. With the new additions I managed to drive up the consistency significantly.

You can find the new decklist in the first post.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 7 months ago

Some smaller additions.
Additions and Cuts
Approximate Total Cost:

Decklist

//Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”