[Primer WIP] Trynn & Silvar Rebel Yell - a Multiplayer Conscious Deck

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

I'm not sure it's possible to play a xb deck without Demonic Tutor. That's...weird.

I know, I know, I'm not adding Pariah. The thought of it is there, and it's such an easy include..........

I'm getting into the "cutting carbs to make weight class" territory for the last three slots, and two of those cuts are the big bruiser and the sky marshal, since bruiser is only there as a top end target for sky marshal. Without that, activating sky marshal for 7 to fetch a four drop seems.....bad. But then having the full suite of tutour rebels seems paramount and so I'm confused. But I still want to add in Academy Rector though, and Cho-Manno, Revolutionary|mmq since he's sitting in this stack of cards but somehow didn't end up in the posted list.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Tags:

3drinks

So I did it. I'm now in the process of crafting the mana base. Do chime in if I missed key non-lands though.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

FenrirRex
Answers: 1

Post by FenrirRex » 3 years ago

I'll complicate things with a couple of other pet card recommendations. I noted Reconnaissance earlier but it is particularly good with rebels- you can untap and remove them after the damage step, giving everyone better-than-vigilance in addition to protecting your attackers, letting you attack with your rebels with impunity while still being able to use them as tutors after an attack. Better with your enchantment subtheme of course.

Gustcloak Savior does the "fair" part of recon- isn't in your tribe but I love this guy if my deck wants to turn sideways.

3drinks

Yeah, I'm aware of both those. Recon is clearly the better choice, though it is groan-inducing across the table, apparently. The bird is fine, it's just without any synergy and just a five drop 3/4 doesn't offer much to the deck. It's not even a human. I need something more.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I'm surprised you haven't gone for some sort of haste. Fervor is an easy add, and really makes your rebel pseudo-pod chain hum a bit quicker.

Personally I think there's still a lot of tutelage in the deck. I think you could stand to lose Gamble, Enlightened Tutor and Diabolic Intent and still be just fine. Most of your creatures are tutors in and of themselves. I know it makes you uncomfortable to lose them, but I genuinely feel like they're surplus to requirement, and will probably just cause shifty looks across the table.

I'd look to fit some more blowout tricks into the deck if possible. You do seem mostly combat oriented for wins, but there's still ways to win on the stack or just push things in your favour. Goblin War Drums pushes combat in your favour and fits your pre-modern predilection. Everything else I have to suggest doesn't, but I'd love to see you make a couple tiny exceptions for Rakdos Charm, Master Warcraft and maybe Akroma's Will. The first two are great toolbox ways to sneak through a win, but can also be used to help out the table. The third is just crazy good.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I'm surprised you haven't gone for some sort of haste. Fervor is an easy add, and really makes your rebel pseudo-pod chain hum a bit quicker.

Personally I think there's still a lot of tutelage in the deck. I think you could stand to lose Gamble, Enlightened Tutor and Diabolic Intent and still be just fine. Most of your creatures are tutors in and of themselves. I know it makes you uncomfortable to lose them, but I genuinely feel like they're surplus to requirement, and will probably just cause shifty looks across the table.

I'd look to fit some more blowout tricks into the deck if possible. You do seem mostly combat oriented for wins, but there's still ways to win on the stack or just push things in your favour. Goblin War Drums pushes combat in your favour and fits your pre-modern predilection. Everything else I have to suggest doesn't, but I'd love to see you make a couple tiny exceptions for Rakdos Charm, Master Warcraft and maybe Akroma's Will. The first two are great toolbox ways to sneak through a win, but can also be used to help out the table. The third is just crazy good.
The reason I didn't opt for haste is because rebels have pseudo haste anyway, coming in at the end step of the person to my right. I thought for a long time before removing lightning greaves, and that was the decision I reached. I'm not going to cut all my tutours. I just can't do that. I need some kind of reassurance, I can't just go into a game blind.

Akroma's will looks like a pretty good overrun effect. I think I'd need to be on Flawless Maneuver first though.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago

The reason I didn't opt for haste is because rebels have pseudo haste anyway, coming in at the end step of the person to my right. I thought for a long time before removing lightning greaves, and that was the decision I reached. I'm not going to cut all my tutours. I just can't do that. I need some kind of reassurance, I can't just go into a game blind.

Akroma's will looks like a pretty good overrun effect. I think I'd need to be on Flawless Maneuver first though.
Fair enough, if you can play around it that works. And I guess if the line is drawn in the sand regarding your tutors, so be it. I don't generally see the need, and it will work against politics, but if that's where we draw the line there's nothing more to say on it.

Re Akroma's Will - sure it'll never cost nothing, but it already does what Flawless Maneuver does, and then some. To my mind its a lot more versatile. You can overwhelm with it and win, or you can use it to survive removal. Maneuver really only does the latter. It plays really nicely with Fervent Charge too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

There, I added the manabase to the deck. I think that finishes the basics...in time I can add the detailed write-up that makes it a Primer.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

FenrirRex

Post by FenrirRex » 3 years ago

Mana base looks mostly fine at a glance for old-border, I personally like running a total of at least 40 mana sources in all my commander decks (which makes you one shy with the two rocks you're already running) but that's nitpicking.

Even by old-school standards I don't like either Thran Quarry or Undiscovered Paradise- the latter feels like a holdover from rock-deck landfall triggers and the former getting wrecked by board wipes (even if you may be able to keep Silvar on the board) seems mediocre.

3drinks

Quarry isn't great no. Paradise at least let's you get the t2 land tax trigger on the play, however.

Admittedly I forgot to add tithe and I'm going to really miss that card. So that needs to come in.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

Many thanks for sharing the thread and for all the contributors to the thread, very interesting read.
I am a big fan of the old border myself (and have built old border decks in the past), so I can really appreciate what you are doing here.
Some suggestions. With the number of basic swamps and the fetch/dual combination, I think Tainted Field and Tainted Peak would probably be better than Undiscovered Paradise and Thran Quarry. No Scroll Rack to go alongside Land Tax? Otherwise Fire Covenant and Parallax Wave are also worth considering - since you have no enchantment synergies it is just a nice piece to remove the biggest threats / blink your own. Oversold Cemetery is another good recursion piece.
I would also be very curious to see your altered commanders, if you're willing to share.

3drinks

capitacommunist wrote:
3 years ago
Many thanks for sharing the thread and for all the contributors to the thread, very interesting read.
I am a big fan of the old border myself (and have built old border decks in the past), so I can really appreciate what you are doing here.
Some suggestions. With the number of basic swamps and the fetch/dual combination, I think Tainted Field and Tainted Peak would probably be better than Undiscovered Paradise and Thran Quarry. No Scroll Rack to go alongside Land Tax? Otherwise Fire Covenant and Parallax Wave are also worth considering - since you have no enchantment synergies it is just a nice piece to remove the biggest threats / blink your own. Oversold Cemetery is another good recursion piece.
I would also be very curious to see your altered commanders, if you're willing to share.
Scroll Rack is definitely in there, under engine.

Undiscovered Paradise is a bit multiple faceted in providing another method to get land tax active and in providing any colour and being untapped. I'm not fully satisfied in Thran Quarry, however, but I'm not sure it's actually worse than the worst case of the tainted lands (and best case, they clearly are inferior).

It sounds jank, but I kinda wanna add Power Matrix to make Silvar get through. Casual for sure.

Parallax Wave is probably a good add, since it has the same synergies as the Pariah enablers had, so thanks for that.

Alters: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpCowV3VEAQ ... name=small

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

The alters look very cool!
Power Matrix is a card that I've found plays better than it looks. Compared to equipment the initial investment is higher, but it's flexible and also allows for instant speed tricks. I can recommend trying it.
With respect to Thran Quarry, I do think the tainted lands are better than it even if they are less reliable at tapping for colored mana. You can't play Quarry on turn 1 typically, you need a two drop to play it on turn two, or a three drop on turn three, but if they then remove your creature before your endstep they 2 for 1 you. I would also play Tarnished Citadel and Grand Coliseum over it (which I think are also better than Urborg Volcano).
Indeed missed the scroll rack, apologies for that.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Man, I've been through this thread 4 times and I still can't find a pic of your old-border alters. I really wanna see them, but at this point I suspect I may be either blind or stupid. I even looked up your list on tapped out to try to find a pic there.

@3drinks Help a guy out, I just dig cool alters.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Man, I've been through this thread 4 times and I still can't find a pic of your old-border alters. I really wanna see them, but at this point I suspect I may be either blind or stupid. I even looked up your list on tapped out to try to find a pic there.

@3drinks Help a guy out, I just dig cool alters.
Check in the embedded post.
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
capitacommunist wrote:
3 years ago
Scroll Rack is definitely in there, under engine.

Undiscovered Paradise is a bit multiple faceted in providing another method to get land tax active and in providing any colour and being untapped. I'm not fully satisfied in Thran Quarry, however, but I'm not sure it's actually worse than the worst case of the tainted lands (and best case, they clearly are inferior).

It sounds jank, but I kinda wanna add Power Matrix to make Silvar get through. Casual for sure.

Parallax Wave is probably a good add, since it has the same synergies as the Pariah enablers had, so thanks for that.

Alters: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpCowV3VEAQ ... name=small

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@3drinks Thabk you kindly. How did they manage to make the old border, do you think? Is it a painted effect or is it a high res proxy? I really love the aesthetic.

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
@3drinks Thabk you kindly. How did they manage to make the old border, do you think? Is it a painted effect or is it a high res proxy? I really love the aesthetic.
More than likely is a high res proxy. If I did it myself, I'd have just did the mockup in MSE and printed it at FedEx on some card stock, cut and slide over a draft chaff common in sleeve.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to run Zirda, the Dawnwaker as commander of the rebels and cut the b. Zirda is so important for the deck anyway and with such a clear bullseye on the card we'd certainly benefit from not just losing it in the first removal that it draws. Plus - not that it's multiplayer conscious - but that opens up interesting play patterns with the two dwarves.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to run Zirda, the Dawnwaker as commander of the rebels and cut the b. Zirda is so important for the deck anyway and with such a clear bullseye on the card we'd certainly benefit from not just losing it in the first removal that it draws. Plus - not that it's multiplayer conscious - but that opens up interesting play patterns with the two dwarves.
I don't think anyone would take excessive offense to the dwarves. They're slow and surgical enough to be acceptable anywhere imo, so long as you're not soft locking people already behind.

The Zirda idea is cool and I support it. You can also run Alpine Huntsmaster and his dogs for more disposable bodies if you need it. I'd also add imperial recruiter/recruiter of the guard to get more rebels/silver bullets since your rebel count is going to fall somewhat.

3drinks

Well, I finally got around to ordering the cards, so whether it's Zirda, the partners, or Lin Sivvi herself remains to be seen now.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Tbh, ISBPathfinder's rebel list is an all time classic, so if you go lin sivvi, there's class in that. Also, don't forget Thran Turbine for upkeep discounts!

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Tbh, ISBPathfinder's rebel list is an all time classic, so if you go lin sivvi, there's class in that. Also, don't forget Thran Turbine for upkeep discounts!
There's definitely merits to both the mono and the two colour takes, as well as the partners approach, for sure. Most important aspect is the advent of Maskwood Nexus though to grab up anything at any time. Had to grab two copies since it works with zenith Kaalia too.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”