Scouts of the Empire (A Hans and Saffi Adventure)

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

So I was sitting there building a Hans Eriksson deck and thinking what a bummer it was that I couldn't put his beloved sister Saffi Eriksdotter in there too. Wheels began turning. Man, I really like Jared Carthalion, True Heir and he's in the right colors... Is this gonna be another Conan adventure? By Crom, I think it is. The deck is Flavortown baby, and in all honesty after thinking about it some...it might even be pretty decent too. Jared brings the monarch into a game with a certain panache, which is great for a good game or whatever. There's a bit of a persist theme and I tried to play into both Hans and Saffi's strengths. Initial draft here, Jared Carthalion, True Heir as King Conan with hopeful appearances by his most loved, if not skilled lieutenants Hans Eriksson and Saffi Eriksdotter. May the Lhurgoyf not eat them today.

UPDATE: The deck seems to play out pretty well, I personally have been having a lot of fun with it. Some things in the deck seem a little too hard to deal with, like recurring or adding counters to Spike Weaver. At the same time, I probably would've been very dead if it weren't for it being there. It's mostly a slower, value based deck, but can make some explosive plays. Warstorm Surge can be pretty awesome in conjunction with an Apex Altisaur and Luminous Broodmoth.

Commander is Jared Carthalion, True Heir
Scouts of the Empire
Approximate Total Cost:

I understand Solemnity would probably be pretty nuts in here. I don't include it because I think it enables too many easy infinites with Luminous Broodmoth and persist. If I were to include it I'd probably rework the deck quite a bit. As it is the deck requires a lot more work to build up to a highly synergistic board state. Broodmoth is an absolute powerhouse, and Together Forever can do a lot of work too. This is a very mana hungry deck. I love to get out an early Oath of Lieges...it can help the other players out a lot but it's a good way to slam out the lands and feels flavorful. It feels like it could almost fold to a Torpor Orb effect. I don't see those too much, so it's not too bad. If you see them I'd include the appropriate removal for it, preferably in creature form. At least this way there is the possibility for recursion.

I would love some suggestions for good red cards to fit the theme. Feels very Saffi and not as much Hans, even though Hans does get to shine. Considering Balefire Dragon or another flavorful and powerful red creature with a pretty decent ETB or death effect. Flavor for this deck mostly means a scout/Conan style reference. The idea is that Conan is Hans and Saffi's liege while they are scouts in his service during his reign of Aquilonia. Conan is a pretty broad character with a lot of experience, so it's not too hard to argue over flavor for him.

Any more ways to move counters around in Naya? Currently using Nesting Grounds to sometimes move a flying counter from something to get another broodmoth trigger. Together Forever feels great in this deck, and seems like an underrated card in general.
Last edited by WolfWhoWanders 3 years ago, edited 12 times in total.
Responds well to spells and abilities

Tags:

WolfWhoWanders

+ Gavony Township
+ Nesting Grounds
+ Dawntreader Elk
+ Burnished Hart

- Snow-Covered Mountain
- Mountain
- Cultivate
- Kodama's Reach

Added township and grounds for more counter/persist synergy from the land base. Swapped out hart and elk for reach/cultivate in order to give ramp some bodies to work with. Should work out better with the persist theme and seems flavorful. Are there any cards other than Cauldron of Souls that can grant persist in Naya colors? Gonna bust out my sweet Ice Age basics for this bad boy too

Oooooh, just thought of Together Forever! Seems good, will add later

+ Together Forever
- Erratic Portal

WolfWhoWanders

+ Emiel the Blessed
+ Furystoke Giant
+ Juniper Order Ranger

- Mentor of the Meek
- Sun Titan
- Reclaim

Also considering Nim Deathmantle, Lesser Masticore and maybe Antler Skulkin. Skulkin can give Saffi persist, deathmantle is fun and Conan loves a good helmet. Tried to goldfish it a couple times, seems like it can do...things. :P Doubt it'll be strong, might have to come up with some more effective ways to close a game. Not sure I want to lose Reclaim.

WolfWhoWanders

+ Spike Weaver
+ Wall of Blossoms
+ Path to Exile
+ Hall of Heliod's Generosity

- Vizier of Remedies
- Search for Tomorrow
- Grumgully, the Generous
- Sacred Foundry

At the moment, I don't think all the persist support is needed. Adding +1/+1 counters is better than not allowing -1/-1 counters, Grumgully was the weakest of the +1/+1 versions as he only hits non-humans. They may go back in one day, but I don't think they are needed for now. The persist thing is really more of a sub-theme than a main one. More draw and interaction for now. Weaver does great with added counters and can protect monarch, wall draws some cards and more removal never hurts.

I want to add Vicious Shadows or Warstorm Surge/Pandemonium as ways to push the game along at some point. Surge probably has the most value of these anyway.

WolfWhoWanders

+ Good-Fortune Unicorn
+ Warstorm Surge [/card]
+ Terastodon
+ Tireless Tracker [/card]
+ Neyith of the Dire Hunt
+ Heroic Intervention
+ Scavenging Ooze

- Juniper Order Ranger
- Martyr's Bond [/card]
- Silklash Spider
- Melira, Sylvok Outcast
- Kogla, the Titan Ape
- The Ozolith
- Ranging Raptors

A lot of changes. Took out some more persist related cards. The sub-theme seems to work but doesn't need a ton of support. Better to have some more interaction. Warstorm surge seemed like a more fun way to interact with the table than martyr's bond. Kogla is somewhat limiting with the non humans, but I do love his fight clause. Ranging raptors works well with Hans Eriksson, but is pretty meh otherwise. This should give the deck more abilities to interact and protect.

Luminous Broodmoth and Emiel the Blessed have been absolute all-stars, and Tendershoot Dryad is no slouch either. Still having a lot of fun with this deck.

Looking for suggestions on how to get a little more red in here

WolfWhoWanders

+ Balefire Dragon

- Stonehoof Chieftain

Chieftain is an excellent card for Hans, but didn't seem like it was playing into what the rest of the deck wants to do very well. The creature also has to attack, so whatever creature Hans runs into isn't protected. Balefire seems like it will be more impactful and I kind of want to get some more red in here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”