Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant blink deck

Regicide711
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Regicide711 » 3 years ago

So I am a relatively new player and I am very excited for commander legended. One of the commanders I am most excited to build a deck for is Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant. I would like to build a blink and zombie trible deck around this commander the only problem is that I am still a new player and am not sure how exactly I could build this deck or what cards would actually be good in this deck. So I am looking for help/Ideas. Thank you for the help!

Tags:

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Hi @Regicide711! Welcome to MTGNexus!

I recommend checking out EDHRec.com as a baseline for Esper colored commanders. That will give you a good baseline for card ideas.

Then, I would try building out a list that follows a deck structure something like this:
I consider this the Deck Core that is non-negotiable whenever I decide to start building a deck. I might deviate from these numbers ONLY to increase them (usually, cEDH is an exception). Any cards that can overlap into these Core categories are fantastic.

So, if we look at Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant as a card, we see that he's got two interesting triggered abilities and has a pretty expensive casting cost to get into play the first time. So I would recommend increasing your Ramp count by a few more cards so that you can constantly have your Commander available.

The first triggered ability rewards you with a token army for killing lots of creatures on your turn (or if you blink him). So, I'd look to increase your removal count, ideally with creatures that kill things on ETB. Massacre Girl and Massacre Wurm would be great fits in this regard. Then, I'd look for sac outlets where I can sacrifice my own creatures so that I can get profit from Nevinyrral's trigger. Phyrexian Altar, Carrion Feeder, etc.

The second triggered ability is a symmetrical board wipe when Nevinyrral dies. I'd look to make it as one-sided as possible or otherwise find ways to profit from it. Think cards like Reveillark, Darksteel Forge, Eerie Interlude, etc.

I hope this gives you a good baseline to start from. Brewing a new list is half the fun of Commander and I encourage you to find out what YOU like about MTG and try and craft a strategy around that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”