Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Let's get the answer to the obvious question out of the way first shall we?

Molimo? Why not run Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar?

Because this is the first EDH deck I ever built (in 2010), it's the one I'm pimping out and to replace the commander after all this time just didn't feel right. I acknowledged my simultaneous desire to play better Magic by promising to swap if I opened a foil Multani at the Dominaria prerelease. I didn't even open a normal one in five events plus prizes, so that solved that as far as I'm concerned.

So yeah, this is my Molimo deck, the one that kickstarted my love of this format. It's full of pet cards like the Fog variants and the morph package, weird meta calls like Tranquil Path because my wife runs a Hanna, Ship's Navigator deck with roughly a billion Arrest variants and Bind, because nobody expects the mono-green player to say 'in response'.

The general gameplan is I ramp a bit, play some stuff out that's fairly innocuous, let everyone else fight for a bit then drop a giant hasty Molimo followed by Overwhelming Stampede and kill the table. If I'm really lucky, I also get to Genesis Wave for 20 at some point, which even if I lose makes me happy. Why yes I am a massive Timmy, how did you know?

Obviously the goal is still to make a pretty decent deck, I'm just less fussed about 100% efficiency in this one y'know? Also as I said I'm pimping this one, so anything pre-Urza's or only available in a precon is right out. I'm hoping Song of the Dryads makes it into foil some day, and the Killer Bees will be Unyaro Bees when I get around to it. Until then, it's the German version because Killerbienen is fun to say.

Dragonlover

Link to MTGS thread
Needed Foils
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Dragonlover 1 year ago, edited 22 times in total.
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

At this point for this deck, I only really need to consider rares/mythics when a new set drops, especially a Core Set. So, M20 thoughts for the deck:

Cavalier of Thorns: Hmm. I'm not really needing to dump stuff in the grave, but the fact it's any land is handy, and the card to the top on death is ok. More likely to go in Storrev though if I'm honest.

Elvish Reclaimer: Tempting, especially for when I need that Hall of the Bandit Lord to go off with a giant hasty Molimo. Would probably cut Growing Rites of Itlimoc, it's been pretty underwhelming so far.

Shared Summons: Half a Tooth and Nail but at instant speed. It's obviously powerful and should probably go in. Maybe cut Desert Twister for it? Can't remember the last time I cast the Twister.

Vivien, Arkbow Ranger: Will probably try out in the slot Vivien, Champion of the Wilds is currently in, as she's been pretty disappointing so far. Sure, the new one's ult is useless but the +1 isn't terrible and being able to bite planeswalkers is pretty handy.

Anything not mentioned is just a flat no for various reasons.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Props for running the OG. I remember a kitchen table build I had with Molimo - not an EDH build, just 60-card jank, but it was my first foray into legendary theme, and it was ridiculous. The idea was to ramp a ton, drop some druids, get a Gilt-leaf Archdruid in play, have all the lands and make Molimo truly monstrous before the ultimate stomp. Obviously that would take some rebuilding to do here though, and it is a bit feelbad.

Have you considered Collective Voyage for ramp? Seems nuts with Molimo, whenever I've played it I've never seen it go off for less than like 5-6 lands.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dragonlover

[mention]toctheyounger[/mention]: That had genuinely not occurred to me, but as you say retooling for the required amount of druids would be tricky, given that creatures in this deck are only druids (or any other creature type) by accident. I haven't considered Collective Voyage as there's no foil version yet, but trust me if they ever do make a foil one it'll be tried out.

I swapped Vernal Bloom for the new Nissa today, for reasons that should be abundantly clear. I've made none of the theoretical M20 changes yet, I should look into that, especially since Eldraine doesn't look like it's adding much right now.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Throne of Eldraine set review time! Just the rares, plus an uncommon that seems like it might be worthwhile:

Feasting Troll King: Don't get me wrong, that's a sweet fatty. Trouble is I'm not running any other Food synergy. The closest thing in the deck is Vorapede, which will just come back when it dies with no hoops to jump through. If I end up with one I might take it for a spin, but I won't be hunting for it.

Gilded Goose: There's a deck out there that wants this. This ain't it. Because of Molimo I want lands, not manadorks.

The Great Henge: Oh yes, this is going in. I'm probably cutting Arachnus Spinner and the attendant Web, and this will fill one of those slots. I'd been considering Guardian Project anyway.

Lovestruck Beast: I've got three or four 1/1's in here already, which is not really optimal. Also there's better undercosted 5/5's, Rhonas comes to mind.

Once Upon a Time: Now this one's interesting. Best scenario is get it in the opener, dig turn 1. If I get it later, it's kind of a sideways upgrade on Rampant Growth, although testing has shown that digging for creatures whiffs more often than I'd like. On a different tack, I like that it hits non-basics. Definitely a maybe.

Questing Beast: That's a lot of abilities on one card. I'd initially discounted it, but I do like the idea of playing a Moment's Peace and then killing their guys with immortal blockers. Also Saber Ants is a bit lackluster at the moment due to a distinct lack of damage based sweepers in my meta, so that might be a reasonable cut.

Return of the Wildspeaker: My boy Garruk is back! I've been looking for something to replace Desert Twister with, and another source of big draw with a potential secondary mode of a buff to my guys isn't the worst swap. I'm not swapping the Harmonize because sometimes, you just need to draw some cards cause the board has nothing.

Wicked Wolf: This one feels like a Standard card, I don't see it doing anything here.

Wildborn Preserver: Decent mana sink as long as I'm playing creatures, but no evasion/protection is pretty naff, I don't really need generic big guys that also need effort to make them big.

Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig: Much of the same logic about Wildborn Preserver applies here. I bet it's great in a token deck though.

Steelbane Hydra: I *am* a touch light on artifact/enchantment removal, but I'd probably look for some slightly cheaper options if I was looking to increase right now. As it goes, I'm not really feeling the lack at the moment.

Thorn Mammoth: A few years ago I suspect this would have been a slam dunk for the deck. Now, I think I'm fine without it. Cool card though, especially considering that I'm only playing one or two creatures most turns, it could potentially kill a fair few things. I reckon it'll see play in decks here and there.

Kenrith's Transformation: This is gonna replace Arachnus Web, the Web is just too often a dead card and the fact this wipes abilities as well is just extra spice.

-------------------

I've also decided to start tracking what I've got left to foil, at some point I'll alphabetise the decklist and while I'm doing that I'll add the foil shooting star symbols to everything that is foil. Can we make decklists show specific versions of cards yet?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

I would 100% replace Strength of Cedars with something else. It's way overcosted for what it does. If you want a similar effect try Primal Bellow|ZEN since almost all of your lands are forests. Also I would try Back to Nature|M11 instead of Tranquil Path.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Can we make decklists show specific versions of cards yet?
You can. Just add the set code after a pipe after the card name with no spaces, e.g. [deck]1 Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer|INV[/deck] will give you:
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

If you don't know the set code offhand, scryfall has them all if you select the printing you're after.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Dragonlover

Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
I would 100% replace Strength of Cedars with something else. It's way overcosted for what it does. If you want a similar effect try Primal Bellow|ZEN since almost all of your lands are forests. Also I would try Back to Nature|M11 instead of Tranquil Path.
Honestly, I'd straight up missed that Primal Bellow exists, I wasn't playing at the time so it's slipped by me. Back to Nature didn't go in initially because I had a lot less card draw and the cantrip was relevant, but you're right, that's a swap that can probably be made without too much issue now.
SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Can we make decklists show specific versions of cards yet?
You can. Just add the set code after a pipe after the card name with no spaces, e.g. [deck]1 Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer|INV[/deck] will give you:
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

If you don't know the set code offhand, scryfall has them all if you select the printing you're after.
Legend, cheers! That's gonna be something to work on at some point.

-------------

Prerelease was pretty successful as far as this deck was concerned, got foils of Questing Beast, Kenrith's Transformation and Return of the Wildspeaker. Didn't see a Great Henge though and the one person that opened one wants it for standard, so that'll be a purchase at some point.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Theros: Beyond Death has arrived, and I've been moving house so I'm a touch late with the set review. As ever, mainly the rares get considered and I don't think I've seen a common or uncommon that warrants inclusion yet.

Arasta of the Endless Web: Hmm. I like the card, I like the design, I like getting free stuff when my opponents do things. I'm just not sure I need it in here. Conceptually it kinda fits the same niche as Broodhatch Nantuko and is less likely to just randomly die without giving me any tokens, so that's a possible swap, even though the loss of a morph hurts me inside.

Dryad of the Ilysian Grove: My ramp all goes straight to the table and I'm monocoloured. Would occasionally be great on curve, but not really later on. Hard pass for Molimo.

The First Iroan Games: It will eventually draw me a card, but it's really not synergising with anything I'm doing, so it's not going in here.

Mantle of the Wolf: Cool card, but not really an effect I'm looking for.

Nessian Boar: I don't even remember this being spoiled. I'm not hurting for big dumb guys, and I feel like it's just gonna get chumped for days.

Nylea, Keen-Eyed: I don't have anywhere high enough a density of creatures for this to actually do anything for me, as proven by my experimentation with Vivien, Champion of the Wilds, so unfortunately not. There's undoubtedly decks she'll shine in though.

Nylea's Intervention: I don't want lands in my hand, and if I wanted to wrath flyers I'd run Hurricane to randomly murder a player along the way.

Nyxbloom Ancient: I want to run this, just not here. You'd think it'd be a shoe-in, but I don't really have many mana sinks and frankly I'm worried I'll deck myself when I Genesis Wave for approximately a billion because I have no self control.

Nyx Lotus: Traditionally I've eschewed mana rocks because of Molimos ability, and I'm not sure that a Nykthos I pay 4 mana for is really where I want to be at anyway. Also the etbt doesn't really let me pull off any explosive turns, so in the balance I'll probably give this a miss as well.

Shadowspear: Meh, I'm not running Loxodon Warhammer cause I don't really think I need it so the cheaper version isn't doing much for me. If there's a sudden rash of indestructibility I'll reconsider though, that's a neat ability.

Labyrinth of Skophos: Pulling someones blocker out of the way so more damage can trample through is kinda cute, but it's not often that a single blocker will stymie me so as with the rest of this set, it's a no from me.

Well, that was uninspiring. Lots of cool cards just... nothing for here, potential Arasta aside. On the other hand, Eldraine added so much I'm happy to take a break and let the recent additions bed in. My old flatmate also bought me some additional foils, so I'll get those added to the list when I've got them to hand.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Right, decklist updated. I also splurged a tax rebate on a few higher end foils for this, notably Crop Rotation and Tooth and Nail, taking me to only needing 14 cards foiled out, 9 of which are basic lands.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 3 years ago

Ikoria is a set with giant dues, yay! There's a tri-colour subtheme, boo!

Ah well, lets see what we can cull out of the set. I'm just looking at the main set since anything from the pre-cons won't be available in foil other than Cazur and he's not really doing a lot for us.

Colossification: Oh boy, that's a sweet line of text, but whatever it goes on will not make it to my next turn sadly, otherwise I'd definitely try it out.

Gemrazer: If I had something that was just 'etb Naturalize' I'd probably swap it for this, but the closest I've got to that is Acidic Slime and killing Nykthos/Coffers/whatever else is often relevant.

Kogla, the Titan Ape: Gonna put this in instead of Desert Twister, which I haven't played in literal years at this point I don't think. Removing a guy then giving me extra uses of Eternal Witness and Den Protector seems pretty good.

Vivien, Monster's Advocate: Hmm. Knowing what's coming up can be handy, although I'm not gonna be casting stuff often. I like the idea of punting out Beasts that can just answer whatever problem I'm having at the time and the tutor effect is probably going to be useful regardless of what I play, the curve is all over the place after all. Maybe in place of Growing Rites of Itlimoc? I've been consistently unimpressed with that card since putting it in.

Crystalline Giant: It's eventually a 4/4 that does all the things. Not really what we're after to be honest.

The Ozolith: I'm not playing around with counters enough to warrant this, but I'm sure it'll do cool things elsewhere for folks.

Bonders' Enclave: I cut Throne of the High City because I never actually activated it, and I'm not sure that I'll need a situational 4 mana to draw a card. I'm probably better off swapping Triumph of Ferocity for the one that just needs you to have something with 4 power than I am running this.

Of the commons and uncommons, the ones that leap out at me are as follows:

Barrier Breach: If a preponderance of Gods suddenly crops up, I might give this a look. There's also a few other enchantments that frankly, I could do without being reanimated that crop up from time to time.

Ram Through: Now other than Ulvenwald Tracker, I'm not running any fight/bite effects, preferring answers that don't require a boardstate as a rule. However, this seems pretty solid, especially since Molimo has trample so I've effectively always got a removal spell and a burn spell in the command zone. Not a clue what I'd take out for it, but it's worth considering, especially since (being in green) I've got a few other tramplers I can use it on.

I'm happy with one solid swap and a couple of things to think about changing at this stage.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

Don't have the energy to do a full set review, but there's a couple of bits I want from MH2. I just added Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth and I also want Timeless Witness. Trouble is, I basically skipped everything since Ikoria so I have no idea if I've missed anything relevant. Gonna have to do a deep dive on the last years worth of cards at some point.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

It's been a few sets, but time to try this whole set review thing again, mainly cause all my decks want stuff from Baldurs Gate and I need to keep it straight. All that's gone into this over the last year is Unnatural Growth and Boseiju, Who Endures for Growing Rites of Itlimoc // Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun and a Forest respectively.

As for Baldurs Gate, I'm gonna try and score a Nature's Lore in foil to replace Rampant Growth, since I keep forgetting it got reprinted. I'm apparently still running Overrun, so I'm thinking of swapping that for Overwhelming Encounter since at least if it doesn't win the game odds are the boost sticks around. Only other non-rare I probably want to find room for is Split the Spoils, since Fact or Fiction for the best 5 things in my yard seems pretty decent. No idea on a cut there.

As for the rares:

Ancient Bronze Dragon: I mean, it's very very cool, but I want one for Virtus and Gorm before this. If I open two though then maybe, I've been looking for something to replace Vorapede.

Barroom Brawl: I have no idea how to evaluate this card. Feels super swingy, and doesn't do anything if the person next to me has no creatures. On the third hand, its sort of like a mono-G wrath if everyones got something they want dead on the next board. Might wait for reports of how well it's worked for others before I try it out.

Bramble Sovereign: If I wanted this I'd have grabbed it when Battlebond came out. It's fine, it just doesn't make me really excited to use it.

Earthquake Dragon: I am not running anywhere near enough Dragons to make this worthwhile.

Jaheira, Friend of the Forest: If this decks makes a token, it's largely by accident. Cool card though.

Jaheira's Respite: Ramp and a fog? Sign me up! 5 mana might be a bit steep is the only thing. Will definitely have to watch how things go in the next few games and see if this would have been relevant when I get swung at.

Majestic Genesis: Yeah, I think I have to find room for this. 75% of the deck is permanents, so that should always be at least four hits unless I'm very unlucky I reckon. Not a scooby on the cut though.

Monster Manual // Zoological Study: Not really interested, I can generally play my creatures and I don't have that many of them in the deck anyway, so the odds of this whiffing are quite high.

Owlbear Cub: Adorable, but again, not that likely to hit anything.

Raised by Giants: Fixes Molimo as a 10/10, which is not really where I want to be.

Traverse the Outlands: I've never liked the fact they can kill your big thing in response. If they ever do a version that's got the new 'largest creature as you cast this spell' wording then I'd take that for sure.

Undermountain Adventurer: No interest in dungeon delving at all. Also not really after mana dorks for this deck.

So that's four cards from this set that I probably want to run. Running out of cuts in the deck, with every update I feel the axe coming for the morph package, but it's part of the OG list and in many ways part of what makes it my deck, so I'm gonna keep it for a bit longer.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Ok, Dominaria United time. From the last lot, I only found a foil Nature's Lore out of the possible stuff I wanted, and haven't felt the need to go out of my way to get anything else. I definitely have an 'If i get one' approach to upgrades for this nowadays.

Main set first:

Defiler of Vigor: Hits approximately a third of the deck, which is reasonable. I have very little mitigation for the life loss though, and generally if I hit five mana I can do pretty much whatever I want. I don't think I'll run this here, especially since I'm not going super wide as a rule so the counters aren't all that relevant.

Herd Migration, Llanowar Greenwidow, Briar Hydra: Mono coloured domain is not particularly exciting, and is definitely not what we're after.

Leaf-Crowned Visionary: If I've got Elves, it's by accident. I bet this is terrifying if you're playing the tribe though.

Llanowar Loamspeaker: I don't run dorks, too fragile. I appreciate the callback to the old school Llanowar Elves flavour text though.

Quirion Beastcaller: Don't need a slowly growing beatstick. This is probably the card I lose a prerelease to though.

Silverback Elder: Now this is cool, Not sure I run enough creatures, but it's very flexible and a solid body. Another one for that Vorapede flex slot maybe?

Threats Undetected: This I like. I probably have enough of a spread of powers that I'll always be able to find four things, and there's enough answers on creatures that I'll probably be able to convince someone at the table to give me the cards I want. Is this where Harmonize finally retires after a decade of venerable service?

The World Spell: I intensely dislike Read ahead. That said, this is clearly a powerful card, I just don't know if I need it. Like, I can't even envision my magical Christmas land play with it, and if you think of it as being sort of like ramp then I'd be better off with Boundless Realms.

Commander deck stuff:

Baru, Wurmspeaker: My inner Timmy is cackling with glee, and if I ever have to make a terrible tribal deck for some reason this will be my go-to. For the Wurm-less Molimo however, it's a hard pass.

Greensleeves, Maro-Sorcerer: Man, that is some weirdly specific protections, and I kind of what to run it for that one game where they're relevant. However, a lack of evasion is really what kills this for me.

None of the colourless cards are interesting to me for this deck, either from the set or the precons. Bit of a damp squib overall honestly, but they can't all be winners. The double whammy of domain and off-colour kickers really doesn't help.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”