Ghen, Arcanum Weaver

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

I'm very excited to have a Mardu enchantment commander, but I need your help to create the right deck. This is what I've come up with so far. I've got the Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond combo, the Necropotence/Solitary Confinement synergy, a bunch of hate cards, and enchantment removal, but this is just a rough draft for what I want the deck to be. Right now it feels like it has too many 3 drops and I know I'm missing something.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Decklist

Commander 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Tags:

weltkrieg
Pronoun: he / him

Post by weltkrieg » 3 years ago

You have a lot of potentially solid cards, but I am failing to see a coherent strategy. Ghen, arcanum weaver really feels like unexplored design space for BIG enchantment reanimator. For example, you could use a proactive enchantment based strategy to curse your opponents. You are in the 3 best colors (in my opinion) for such a strategy. Overwhelming Splendor is such a card, but far from the only one.

In such a case, you need looting/graveyard synergy (Entomb is noted) whereas a card like Gravebreaker Lamia is powerful, but somehow not present despite being as good as it is going to get for a card not named entomb. Other than that, I see a lot of griefer/stax enchantments, but they seem to do little besides making the table hate you. If you're going to be hated, then lock them out!

If you can, I would try to use smaller enchantments with powerful etb triggers then sacrifice them to ghen to get the bigger enchantments out later. Examples would include, but are not limited to:

Omen of the Dead
Sarcomancy
Animate Dead (note: doesn't say it has to be your creature that gets animated)
Oath of Chandra
Rise of the Hobgoblins (doubles as wincondition and loves to be reanimated)
Trial of Ambition
Treacherous Blessing

The constellation cards in black are often overcosted, so something like Thoughtrender Lamia becomes more viable when you're reanimating for 3 mana. Of course, if you kill enough creatures (or cause enough discard/mill), then hedonist's trove becomes a beating and you're only aiming to pay 3 for it AND it becomes reuseable.

I could keep going on and on, but I would pick a strategy or two and stick with it.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

How can we shift this into an Enduring Ideal deck?

Cons: no access to Wheel of Sun and Moon, Paradox Haze, or Copy Enchantment.

Those are some big strikes but the epic spell is strong enough, I think, that it should be a genuinely viable strategy.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
How can we shift this into an Enduring Ideal deck?

Cons: no access to Wheel of Sun and Moon, Paradox Haze, or Copy Enchantment.

Those are some big strikes but the epic spell is strong enough, I think, that it should be a genuinely viable strategy.
I think these cards would be the best with Enduring Ideal:
I think I may go the other way though and play a bunch of low curve enchantments that have great value with Constellation creatures, Sigil of the Empty Throne, Sphere of Safety, and can be sacrifice fodder for Ghen. Something like:
Ghen, Prison Warden

Commander 1

Sorceries 3

Approximate Total Cost:

I also tried to cut down on the number of 3 drops since my last list had an extensive amount of 3 drops and both Ghen and his ability cost 3 mana.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”