Tasigur, the Golden Fang: Invincible Counter Fog

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

"Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Aaaaahhhh! Oh, they're in my eyes! My eyes! Aaaahhhhh! Aaaaagghhh!"
- Edward Malus, The Wicker Man (2006)

I am a paradox. On the one hand, I love playing control decks, and on the other, I hate combo decks. Why is this a contradiction? Control decks realistically must use a combo finish to close games out in a reasonable time frame, or the deck turns into a sort of spellslinger stax that can be its own hell to both play with and against. So, I'm torn: do I swear off blue-based control forever, or do I compromise my ideals and get my hands dirty with combos?

Well, you read the tags.

Tasigur, the Golden Fang: Invincible Counter Fog is a control-combo deck that seeks to slow the game down and protect itself until the late game when it can combo off. Being based in blue, we run the best countermagic available to dictate the flow of the game, and black and green give us access to some of the premier removal spells in the format. Board wipes, from Cyclonic Rift to Damnation to Oblivion Stone, allow us to break parity with our thin board state. Tutors and recursion spells like Demonic Tutor and Regrowth allow us to find or replay our best spells and sculpt our hand to maintain a balance of control spells. Finally, as the deck name suggests, to protect ourselves, we run a number of fog cards to help extend our presence in the game.

When your opponents are rudderless, we close the game out with infinite mana generated in a couple of ways funneled into a few win conditions. The two key cards for generating this mana are Turnabout and Rude Awakening to untap our lands. Along with a ton of mana from lands and either Seasons Past with a tutor or Shigeki, Jukai Visionary's channel ability with a recursive spell enable us to repeat this loop an infinite amount of times. Winning from there is largely trivial, but I run a very specific and very fun way to close out games. What is it? Here's the decklist. See for yourself.

Invincible Counter Fog

Commander:

Infinite Mana: 2

Bees: 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Here's how it works:

Combo One

Requirements: some combination of Seasons Past, Turnabout, and Demonic Tutor in your hand, graveyard, or library, and 13+ lands

Tap 13+ lands
Cast Seasons Past returning Turnabout and Demonic Tutor (7+ mana)
Cast Demonic Tutor for Seasons Past (5+ mana)
Cast Turnabout untapping your lands (1+ mana)
Tap 13+ lands (14+ mana)
Repeat for infinite mana and recursion

Combo Two

Requirements: some combination of Shigeki, Jukai Visionary, Turnabout, and Regrowth in your hand or graveyard, and 13+ lands

Tap 13+ lands
Channel Shigeki, Jukai Visionary returning Turnabout and Regrowth (7+ mana)
Cast Regrowth returning Shigeki, Jukai Visionary (5+ mana)
Cast Turnabout untapping your lands (1+ mana)
Tap 13+ lands (14+ mana)
Repeat for infinite mana and recursion

Throw in Tasigur for infinite self-mill as well to get everything into the graveyard as well as an infinite recursion outlet himself. This is redundant, of course.

Then it's TIME FOR BEES! It's the most absurd win condition I can think of with the ability do basically anything you want.

Lands

40 seems a bit high, but considering the mana-heavy nature of the win conditions and this is a control deck, hitting those land drops consistently is key. Beyond the obvious color fixers like Command Tower and 10 fetches, I tried to keep the basic count reasonably high to maximize fetchland targets since we're running Crucible of Worlds and Conduit of Worlds. In addition to control lands like Bojuka Bog or Boseiju, Who Endures the tech lands I run are Field of the Dead for random blockers and Academy Ruins or Volrath's Stronghold for recurring board wipes, Crucible effects, win conditions, and fogs. Finally, Nephalia Drownyard is one of our win conditions with infinite land untaps.

Ramp

I'm not completely sure this deck needs a plethora of ramp, but at the moment I think the deck should be developing its manabase instead of sculpting its hand in the early game, so here we are. Exploration plus Crucible of Worlds with a commander that self-mills is good. Who knew? The rest of the ramp package is so-so, but putting lands directly into play and upping our land count is important for comboing off later. Plus, they help fuel Tasigur delve costs. I've considered switching over to a more Lands-oriented package with Ramunap Excavator and Life from the Loam with Azusa, Lost but Seeking and Dryad of the Ilysian Grove but I think those are too threatening and lead the deck down a combo path for what is fundamentally a control deck.

Countermagic

The bread and butter of blue-based control decks. Not much to say here other than a) I really don't like Arcane Denial and b) I've been thinking that Cryptic Command isn't great for a while now. Holding open four mana typically isn't a problem, but it's a lot to ask for a counterspell even into the late game when I can counter and activate Tasigur. Compared with Mystic Confluence which has better mode selections overall, I think it's not worth playing.

Spot Removal

Pongify and Rapid Hybridization are conspicuously absent, but with Tasigur not being a constant presence in the game I think they pose too much of a threat to my life total. Notably, I have no real sources of life gain so protecting my life total is paramount for my longevity (more on this later). Also missing are Into the Roil and Blink of an Eye, two cards I've long played in control decks. In their place are Echoing Truth, a card that leads to more blowouts against relevant threats and doesn't have the unnecessary card draw kicker that is largely winmore. I feel that the kicker is a bit of a trap. They're much better in 1v1 but in multiplayer they're a very short temporary fix that costs four mana to cantrip. I'd rather have a board wipe rider than a cantrip. The rest of the removal package is pretty straightforward. Notably, Capsize and Beast Within with Reality Shift also double as win conditions.

Board Wipes

I'll just say it: there aren't a whole lot of great options here. White is king of board wipes, and while we gain a lot by not playing that color, this is where we pay the price. That said, it's not as bad as it seems. Pernicious Deed and Nevinyrral's Disk take a turn cycle to become active which sucks, and Oblivion Stone and Perilous Vault are quite expensive, but they're ways for me emulate Hour of Revelation and Farewell to a degree. Damnation and Toxic Deluge are classic black board wipes, and Evacuation and Cyclonic Rift round out the wrath package by being instant speed. Eight wipes seem high enough to see them with some consistency when accounting for tutors and recursion.

Recursion

When your commander self-mills you'd be foolish to not play a healthy amount of recursion. The crucible effects allow us to hit every land drop, and Conduit does extra work by recurring key permanents. Noxious Revival and Regrowth, despite being good on their own, are integral to the infinite mana combo with Shigeki, Jukai Visionary. Speaking of Shigeki and Seasons Past, similarly to Revival and Regrowth they're solid on their own without the infinite mana enablers. Being able to reload your hand time after time in the late game before you go off is incredibly powerful. Plus, they're cool cards.

Tutor

Good cards are good. No Muddle the Mixture to make room for everything else.

Sustain

This is a highly relevant section of the deck that in conjunction with the control package enables it to survive into the late game and protects against alpha strikes even then. Without lifegain like Gray Merchant of Asphodel or Pulse of the Fields to keep you healthy, it's entirely possible to be ground down by random aggression over time. Being able to burn these to save 6+ life from attackers not only helps us live longer by saving life, but also by deterring future attackers as well. Maze of Ith and Glacial Chasm need no introduction. Spore Frog with Conduit of Worlds or Constant Mists with either crucible will essentially lock aggressive decks from killing you in the late game, so repelling them early on is essential.

Infinite Mana

While these two cards aren't great on their own, they do have some minor utility. Turnabout can prevent an alpha strike or lock someone's mana down for a turn, and Rude Awakening can be used to snipe someone out of the game starting in the midgame. It ain't much, but they're there if you need them.

Bees

Last edited by TheGildedGoose 11 months ago, edited 55 times in total.

Tags:

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Mystic Confluence is a very flexible card that helps you maintain board and stack control and functions as a card draw spell at its worst mode. That would definitely be a card I'd recommend to you.

The difference between Pheldaggrif and Tasigur is the recursion element available in the Command Zone. Your opponents know that you'll ALWAYS have an answer for their plays and ALWAYS have an EOT effect (Tasigur's ability). That kind of inevitability is one that is a powerful concern for your opponents and will likely draw their attention. So I think your concern #2 is definitely something that I would be concerned with.

So increasing your Wrath effects is important to this end. Pernicious Deed is another one you can consider. Oblivion Stone is another cheap Wrath effect that offers some political implications. Gaze of Granite is another Wrath effect you could consider. Nightmare Unmaking is another one that's also fairly budget too.

You're also playing a lot of Artifact mana, which can be a liability for the Wrath effects you could be running. That's why Dirk doesn't play as many mana sources; he can't afford to lose Cards to his own Control pieces.

Field of the Dead could be a good way for you to gain blockers as well as functioning as a win condition outlet alongside Tasigur beats.

Finally, it may be too powerful for your deck's core idea, but Seedborn Muse is the jelly to this deck's peanut butter. It's SO GOOD.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

I mean, like most Field of the Dead decks, Finale of Devastation is an obvious 1 card wincon. Get 12 mana, win the game. Nothing like a 11/11 hasted Spore Frog to get the job done. :P

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

pokken wrote:
11 months ago
I mean, like most Field of the Dead decks, Finale of Devastation is an obvious 1 card wincon. Get 12 mana, win the game. Nothing like a 11/11 hasted Spore Frog to get the job done. :P
Field is just one of those randomly good cards that belongs in any deck with the manabase to support it. Finale of Devastation has little utility other than Overruning with a specific card that requires time to build up. The infinite mana and recursion happens in one turn at the end of the game and the individual cards have better utility.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
Field is just one of those randomly good cards that belongs in any deck with the manabase to support it. Finale of Devastation has little utility other than Overruning with a specific card that requires time to build up. The infinite mana and recursion happens in one turn at the end of the game and the individual cards have better utility.
I think you're undervaluing the low end of finale. Its failure mode is get or recur Spore Frog for 1GG, which is coincidentally the same as Demonic Tutor for spore frog, but also gets it out of the bin in a pinch.

Oh and it finds the Shigeki, Jukai Visionary half of your combo as well (and potentially gives it haste with tons of mana, letting you get it to your hand and go off).

Finale of Devastation is 1000% better than a second copy of bees :P

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

pokken wrote:
11 months ago
I think you're undervaluing the low end of finale. Its failure mode is get or recur Spore Frog for 1GG, which is coincidentally the same as Demonic Tutor for spore frog, but also gets it out of the bin in a pinch.

Oh and it finds the Shigeki, Jukai Visionary half of your combo as well (and potentially gives it haste with tons of mana, letting you get it to your hand and go off).

Finale of Devastation is 1000% better than a second copy of bees :P
Just about anything is better than Unyaro Bee Sting.

I think something like Grim Tutor or Dark Petition would be more useful overall than Finale if I want another tutor. They're marginally less mana efficient up front but their ceiling is far higher and gives me another part of the Seasons Past combo. I think I'll go with Grimmy. It doesn't go directly with Seasons Past but it can find something that does and gets whatever else I need as well.

pokken

Final Parting is dope with Seasons Past too -- can get SP + demonic tutor in the bin.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

pokken wrote:
11 months ago
Final Parting is dope with Seasons Past too -- can get SP + demonic tutor in the bin.
It also sets up Shigeki, Jukai Visionary combos. Hmm. Is it worth it over the less expensive Grim or Petition? By turn 14 or so I should have my combo assembled, assuming no graveyard hate, so Parting seems a bit too slow for its tutor mode and unnecessary for finding win conditions in the late game. I think it's worth playing but I think I'll stick with Grim for now.

Speaking of graveyard hate, I noticed we're only playing Bog, which is a mistake. I think Endurance is the best option since it can also protect our graveyard. I know, I know, it combos with Finale of Devastation but Grim Tutor finds it just as well. Heartless Act is the weakest removal spell, so it's out.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
It also sets up Shigeki, Jukai Visionary combos. Hmm. Is it worth it over the less expensive Grim or Petition? By turn 14
I think grim is way worse than Final Parting because it finds any two missing pieces in one card. If you have DT, get turnabout+Seasons past, if you have Seasons past get DT+turnabout, etc.

(edit for dumb math fixes)

--I had a serious dumb and couldn't remember the loop. Basically, you need 13 lands because you spend 12 (6+4+2) :P

It looks to me like both of them work at 13 lands, since FP saves you 2 mana on not having to cast Grim Tutor twice to get DT into the mix.

I *think* Final Parting also can go Regrowth (or Dark Ritual) + Seasons Past which can start the loop at 11 lands;

11 lands
Turnabout to float 18
FP for regrowth + seasons past to 13
seasons past for regrowth + turnabout + final parting → 7 mana
cast turnabout -4 to 3, +11 to 14
cast regrowth for turnabout - -2 to 12
cast turnabout -4 to 8, +11 to 19
cast final parting getting Solve the Equation + Seasons Past for -5 to 14
cast Seasons Past for Regrowth, Solve, Turnabout -6 to 8
cast turnabout -4 to 4, +11 to 15
cast regrowth for turnabout -2 to 13
cast turnabout -4 to 9, +11 to 20
solve for sp, -3 to 17
SP for solve, regrowth, turnabout -6 to 11
turnabout -4 to 7, +11 to 18
regrowth for turnabout -2 to 16
turnabout -4 to 12, +11 to 23
(etc etc, I think? but does require Solve:P)

(pretty sure that works, although it's even faster with Dark Ritual)

--
Final Parting has quite a few other lines I'm not exploring (personally I think Exploration + Life from the Loam is a pretty nonsensically great line).

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

pokken wrote:
11 months ago
analysis
I think you fundamentally misunderstand the nature of this deck. I tend to assume that most Nexus EDH members are passingly familiar with Dirk's political control Phelddagrif deck and its deckbuilding and playstyle philosophy. If you're not, it's a very dedicated control deck that primarily uses its control elements to survive until you can mop up with Phelddagrif, typically in 1v1. This is slightly more aggressive and unabashedly control-oriented than his Hippo list both by having ramp and by closing games with a combo, but otherwise functions in a similar manner. Comboing out as soon as possible isn't the goal, the goal is surviving until you can combo off to keep a narrow threat profile. This is why there's no draw aside from Tasigur himself; I figure with a mana sink in the command zone and a mana-intensive win condition ramping is better than sculpting my hand.

Flying under the radar is important with this deck. You're not pub stomping, ideally you're playing with like-minded players piloting well-matched decks and thus even with a powerful commander like Tasigur, he's not even close to the most threatening Sultai commander out there. Capitalize on this by developing your resources while using your control spells primarily to disable stuff like Rhystic Study, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, or some other stupid cards that drastically increase your chances of losing the game until you reach a critical mass and combo off. Rushing to the combo undermines the purpose and waters down the control elements of the deck. You must admire its purity and dedication to disruption and survival.

All that said, I think Dark Petition edges out Final Parting. You can easily use it to tutor for a tutor and combo off with Seasons Past and an untapper, and it tends to be more mana efficient as well. A higher floor and slightly lower ceiling, but I tend to favor consistency over explosiveness in a deck like this since it relies on inevitability and running opponents out of options.

Just ordered a stack of the Phil Foglio Bee Sting|PORs for maximum memeage.

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 10 months ago

I like that Season's Past combo. I'll try to include it in my Tasigur Turbo Fog list.

I think fogs are pretty underrated. Many decks heavily rely on hitting people and fogs are almost a hard counter to these decks. Here are some cool cards I've played with:

Reins of Power is basically a 4 mana Insurrection that can also act as a fog
Sadistic Sacrament can often just remove all combo pieces from an opponent's deck even without the kicker. Even this list is very vulnerable to Sacrament
Simic Growth Chamber and other karoos are pretty cool. They increase your land count by being sort of "virtual" land drops. You can get return "spell" lands to hand. You can also ramp with them if you also run Thespian's Stage and/or Drownyard Temple.

pokken

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

I've had some interesting play with Jaheira's Respite so far; can get pretty silly if you know you're on the chopping block.

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 10 months ago

I haven't had much luck getting big value with Jaheira but I think it's fine if you get like 2 lands out of it. 3 mana is basically the rate for instant speed rampant growth and getting 2 for 5 mana along with the fog is ok. I would like it more if it only prevented damage to me. I still play it my Gxx turbofog lists.

pokken

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

illakunsaa wrote:
10 months ago
I haven't had much luck getting big value with Jaheira but I think it's fine if you get like 2 lands out of it. 3 mana is basically the rate for instant speed rampant growth and getting 2 for 5 mana along with the fog is ok. I would like it more if it only prevented damage to me. I still play it my Gxx turbofog lists.
It's mostly been take an extra turn and ramp 2-3 for me but that's damn good lol. Usually only one person swinging for the fences.

I am gonna get the chatterfang guy though. Sooner or later.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”