Esior and Tymna - Anthemed Shadow Men

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Back when C16 hit, I was immediately wooed by Tymna. An Orzhov Edric with colour expansion potential, what's not to like? The perfect excuse to dust off various questionable cheap evasive creatures and go to town. I eventually paired her up with Bruse Tarl and was super keen on the deck. Unfortunately, the group was not, and it wilted away despite being set up for primerdom from the very first update post. I learned some key lessons from that deck though - Tymna really likes having a bunch of small weenies around, and tickling everyone at the table ASAP to engage some solid draw. This caused confusion back in the MTGS deck thread, as people did not think that jamming Storm Crows in EDH is a legit strategy. The fact the deck quickly became a persona non grata in the group begs to disagree, although some of that had to do with blazing fast voltron kill potential.

Once it became apparent that Commander Legends has partner, some part of me was expecting to resurrect the general Tymna "BWx Edric" idea. Cue Esior, who's pretty much a Storm Crow, but is legendary and in blue and also exhibits the storm crow'y traits of being a two-drop flier. The commander targeting shield is a nice perk for keeping Tymna around unimpeded, I guess :P Nevertheless, the stage was set - a guaranteed evasive two-drop to curve into a Tymna and get going. The core of the deck became the various 1-drop evasion bodies Esper can provide... and then what? How do I win? As a concession to my group's dislike of time magic, I barely put any in. Ultimately I landed on anthems. That should be a relatively benign way of making the 1/1s be kind of relevant?

Unfortunately, the deck roflstomped its test games and got a supremely cold reception as a result. The draws weren't even nutty at all, I just linked up some pump with a wide board of 1/1s and that was that apparently. As such, the list is unlikely to get modded by yours truly beyond its alpha draft state presented below, but I got enough of a kick out of the concept to share it.

Esper Edric

Edric (Omega Draw + Time Magic)

Approximate Total Cost:

There are some cute mini-synergies in here. A number of the evasive pieces are Rogues to turn on Notorious Throng. Felidar Retreat makes use of a full suite of fetchlands and a Walking Atlas on further support. A couple of the shadow men have lifelink for Archangel of Thune, and there's also True Conviction. Alas, it was not to be. There's plenty of room to power this up, not only extra turn spells, but also increased amounts of removal and counterspells. This deck would love a Force of Will, but I was trying to not get the guys mad. Yet I still failed :P
Last edited by Rumpy5897 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive, Mausoleum Wanderer feel like upgrades to Nightshade Stinger, Inkfathom Infiltrator,

I think I'd take most of this shell and just replace the anthem effects with combo and counterspells to make it a cEDH spiky deck with Demonic Consultation, Tainted Pact, Thassa's Oracle, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries...I know boring.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Now officially despoilered as Esior got previewed.

Yep, your direction would certainly be stronger. Would it be better than using Thrasios over Esior though? In a cEDH world, those sort of questions become valid, I guess. I honestly don't really know.

If pursuing my crappy anthem angle, Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive unfortunately doesn't work that great. In terms of fliers with perk, there's also Judge's Familiar which is similar to the Wanderer.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”