Omnath, Locus of Creation - Creating the Perfect Storm

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Normally when I start brewing with a commander I have quite a direct plan on how to approach the deck.
Omnath, Locus of Creation presented me with not quite so much clarity as there are quite a few different directions you can take it, and honestly they are all good in their own manner.

I'll make this first part of the introduction about directions you can go with Omnath, Locus of Creation rather than about this deck. This will perhaps help you in your own endeavors with deck building and also give you an idea of how I came up with the deck I landed on.

First of all Omnath, Locus of Creation ability to get the second trigger of landfall to add rgwu is actually pretty easy. A single fetchland played and then sacrificed to search for another land will trigger it.
So honestly without really building the deck to accommodate all that much you can get that additional mana almost certainly each of your own turns.
If you think in terms of playing Omnath say Turn 4 and then on Turn 5 playing a fetchland, you'll have 5 lands (let's say) and then an additional rgwu giving you 9 mana all up. In this manner you can look to either play big spells or just play out multiple spells in a turn fairly guaranteed.
If I was looking to build/play him in a more cEDH environment I wouldn't build much around him per se, but simply use the additional mana to be more efficient with turns and perhaps get out from under stax more. However that is pretty boring when it comes to deck building and for you to read about.

Alright so it's easy to get the rgwu on each of your own turns, but it is limited to only once. How do you potentially get more value from Omnath?
Well you could look to also use his abilities in opponents turns. Getting at least 2 landfall triggers in opponents turns is much trickier however without being able to naturally play lands. Not impossible however.

Flicker/Blink
Making Omnath a new instance on the battlefield via flicker or return to hand to recast would be a way you can look to do this as well...and that is the direction that I decided to take this deck.
There are 12 "flicker" effects and they specifically "Exile target, then return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control.".
I've avoided any of these effects that "return at the beginning of the end step" as you'll miss out on trying to get additional value off Omnath as far as landfall triggers.
By flickering Omnath you'll get his ETB draw trigger, so you are guaranteed to replace the flicker card you cast.
Note that we have Feather, the Redeemed in the deck to get all these flicker cards returned at end of turn.

Now we have a means to look to string together getting multiple cycles of triggers off Omnath in a turn, but we do need to make sure that we can put additional lands into play to make use of new instances of Omnath effective. Surprise, the deck has plenty of ways to do this.

Land ramp
Dreamscape Artist and Knight of the Reliquary can guarantee another 2 x landfall triggers. Knight of the Reliquary can just get a fetchland.

Springbloom Druid, Harrow, Skyshroud Claim, Crop Rotation bring 2 lands into play. Crop Rotation could just get a fetchland for this.

There are also plenty of other one off land ramp spells in Coiling Oracle, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Nature's Lore, Growth Spiral.
These can be combined to produce multiple landfall triggers in a turn.

Risen Reef can be more special in that when you flicker Omnath you'll get another trigger, which can help to create more triggers.
Omnath, Locus of Rage produces Elementals which means that you can string together potentially more triggers by putting more lands into play off the top of your library.

There are also cards that allow you to play additional lands during your turn with; Exploration, Azusa, Lost but Seeking, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, Oracle of Mul Daya, Song of Creation.

Landfall
With so many ways to trigger landfall multiple times in a turn surely the deck should have all the good landfall triggered cards right?
Well I'm expecting 9/10 Omnath, Locus of Creation to be good stuff land decks. I am playing some for sure, but it is not as many as probably others.
Here are the "landfall" cards that I am playing; Lotus Cobra, Trove Warden, Omnath, Locus of the Roil, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, Admonition Angel, Emeria Shepherd, Omnath, Locus of Rage, Valakut Exploration.

Admonition Angel can be used to actually exile Omnath, Locus of Creation with a landfall trigger as well as any other creatures you want to get further ETB out of.
So an example would be say you cast Harrow and then use 2 Admonition Angel triggers to exile both Omnath and Coiling Oracle. Now you can use a flicker effect to blink the Admonition Angel and both Omnath and Coiling Oracle come into play.
This way you can get a bit more value out of your flicker cards or in a pinch just use it to remove opponents permanents that are problematic.

Emeria Shepherd and Trove Warden can be used to get great value.
A combo that you can look for is to use Sakura-Tribe Elder along with Dryad of the Ilysian Grove to keep triggering Emeria Shepherd as all your lands are considered Plains. You can literally search for all the basics in the deck.
Trove Warden can exile land cards from your graveyard, which works nicely with when it dies it'll create landfall triggers.
Other landfall potential for deck builds
Show
Hide
There is no shortage of token creature makers with;
Avenger of Zendikar, Rampaging Baloths, Seed the Land, Sporemound, Zendikar's Roil, Scute Swarm, Phylath, World Sculptor.
Emeria Angel, Retreat to Emeria, Felidar Retreat.
You can look for existing ideas in Omnath, Locus of Rage helmed decks that make use of tokens in general for additional gains like Perilous Forays for example.
Getting access to the white token generators will certainly be welcome by some to build around.

Others involve card advantages of various kinds.
Moraug, Fury of Akoum, Roil Elemental, Evolution Sage, Nissa, Vital Force.

You can even look for untappers to make use of creating more mana or other tap abilities if combined with other enablers.
Retreat to Coralhelm, Tideforce Elemental, Stone-Seeder Hierophant.

So lots of ways to build around land themed decks and there is no right or wrong way to tackle these things. As I've pointed out creating 9 mana on Turn 5 is pretty consistent, so playing out a Omnath, Locus of Rage is by no means that hard.
Ancient Greenwarden is the ultimate of enablers for this deck as you'll get double triggers including Omnath. Look to gain 8 life, rrggwwuu and potentially deal 8 damage for each Omnath instance.

Ashaya, Soul of the Wild makes your creatures into Forests so they can be tapped for mana, as well as they'll actually trigger landfall when they come into play. Certainly a great way to keep getting Omnath triggers.

Chulane, Teller of Tales is another way to keep putting lands into play off casting your creatures.

Drawing cards
Ultimately this is a storm deck and is looking to string together big turns. Getting the additional rgwu multiple times in a turn gives you a means to keep casting spells, but you still need to be drawing cards in order to have things to do.
Sure with the flicker cards you can get a draw off Omnath, but you'll run out of cards fairly quickly.

We have plenty of ways to draw cards in the deck and I've already mentioned some with Omnath, Locus of the Roil, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, Valakut Exploration with landfall.

Further to this we have a number of amazing enchantments.
Song of Creation and Whirlwind of Thought are excellent with casting cards to get more cards. I've wanted a deck that has both included and they are perfect here. Sure Song of Creation makes you discard your hand, but the way the deck works is that you get to play out so many cards that you just overwhelm your opponents, and the deck doesn't look to cast cards in opponents turns at all really.
Teferi's Ageless Insight will double up on draw, including drawing at least 2 off flicker effects with Omnath.
Abundance is actually a great card in this deck as really once you are setup you don't really want to be drawing lands at all.
The reason is that you have a lot of cards that specifically search for lands and so you'd prefer to have them in your library rather than draw them.
At a certain stage you will just keep naming "nonland" and this is just going to mean action cards all-day-long.
Also this gets around restrictions like Narset, Parter of Veils or Notion Thief and avoiding giving opponents cards with Consecrated Sphinx.
There are staples in Mystic Remora, Sylvan Library, Rhystic Study as well.

Graveyard as a resource
I mentioned with Abundance that you really don't want to be drawing lands once you are setup and so playing lands from your graveyard really helps with not specifically needing to draw lands.
Also fetchlands are so critical to enabling the deck, that playing these out over others really is key.
We already have mentioned the powerhouse in Ancient Greenwarden that can do this. Further to this we have Ramunap Excavator.

If you can imagine having additional land into play cards in Exploration, Azusa, Lost but Seeking, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, Oracle of Mul Daya that are going to allow you to sequence playing out a fetch each time you use a flicker on Omnath to guarantee the landfall triggers for the mana.

There is also Past in Flames and Underworld Breach in the deck.
With around 23 instants and sorcery in the deck the Past in Flames doesn't seem like intuitive include at first maybe.
But with the way we flicker Omnath and play land ramp cards we can look to string together very potent sequences.

You can get additional lands into play with instant and sorcery Crop Rotation, Nature's Lore, Growth Spiral, Harrow, Skyshroud Claim.
Once you get Omnath rgwu you can then cast a flicker instant card from your graveyard.
Of course it all depends on the casting costs of your flicker and land ramp cards, but you will get varying levels of just having enough mana to pay for these or you might net mana by the end of it.
Let's look at an example of how you can line up a good turn
Show
Hide
Let's say you have Crop Rotation, Harrow, Essence Flux, Flicker of Fate in your graveyard at the time you cast Past in Flames. By the end of this you actually have 5 lands untapped still (from your initial 5) and rgwu left over in your mana pool. So you can see how you can keep stringing more spells together in the turn while drawing cards and putting more lands into play.
Underworld Breach is just an all round super star in Commander in general and you can look to use it in a similar manner but you also get access to creatures (and other) to help with getting additional landfall triggers.

Further flicker synergy
Emiel the Blessed is another way you can flicker Omnath (or any ETB creature) to get a new instance of it. So in theory you can use part of the rgwu for this effect and then look for more landfall triggers to get value.

Legion's Initiative is an enchantment and you can use it defensively during opponents turns to save your creature from a board sweeper. But you can also use it in your own main phase to get the flicker effect for combos.

Most of the flicker cards are instants however, which actually means you have a lot of ways to potential protect your creatures from targeted removal.

There are also some that can do multiple targets with Displace and Ghostly Flicker.
These can be used to target other ETB creatures like Dockside Extortionist, Skyclave Apparition, Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, Knight of Autumn, Coiling Oracle, Risen Reef, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, Springbloom Druid for additional value.

Even though Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath sacrifices if not escaped, because your flicker effects are at instant speed you can look to get value by flickering while the sacrifice is still on the stack.

Ghostly Flicker can actually target a land to help with landfall, and you can even use it to target 2 lands if wanting to guarantee the Omnath mana trigger. The net result is that you can use it to basically gain 3 mana as well as triggering other landfall abilities.

Dualcaster Mage can go infinite with any of the flicker instant cards with copies it makes targeting itself, however only Acrobatic Maneuver, Displace, Ghostly Flicker will gain you advantages off this. You can just target Omnath as the other creature with Displace, Ghostly Flicker to draw as much of the deck as you want, and Ghostly Flicker can also give you infinite mana.

Gaining life
I haven't mentioned gaining life at all, and boy-oh-boy can Omnath gain you a lot. Honestly potential one of the biggest life gainers from the command zone.

The life-gain in this deck is purely for keeping you alive to exact your master plans. Your opponents have to get in a lot of damage by the end of a game.

I did look at game winning cards like Test of Endurance and Aetherflux Reservoir as win conditions, but better in more of a pillow-fort style of build imo.

I was close to including Dawn of Hope as it can draw you a card each time you gain life off Omnath first landfall trigger by spending 2. But I personally don't want to be spending mana on draw, I feel like margins are too tight for this.

Speaker of the Heavens almost made the final cut as well, but I don't want to focus on protecting my life total that much.

Dealing 4 damage with Omnath
This is all nice theory-crafting Mr Habib, but will you actually get to do everything including dealing 4 damage to opponents and planeswalkers each time you flicker Omnath?
Well the damage portion of Omnath is certainly less of a focus than getting the additional mana.
The "problem" you will have is wanting to use landfall triggers to get multiple instances of the mana trigger and thus you'll want to flicker Omnath before you put another land into play that would have triggered the damage ability.
But once you are well setup, you can look at the damage portion as a partial win condition. In theory you have to do this around 10 times to deal 40 damage.

Certainly if you are up against a Superfriends deck or even just a few planeswalkers Omnath just destroys them. In these instances you'd definitely make sure you get the 3rd trigger, but you only need to do this once or twice to wreck them.

Other fun stuff
Realistically with around 10 ways to get additional colored mana on Turn 2, you have a good chance of casting Omnath on Turn 3. That means that you'll have a good chance of having access to 8 or 9 mana on Turn 4.

Zacama, Primal Calamity is a nod to the fact that you will consistently have 9 mana on Turns 4 or 5, untapping those lands and just cast more card that turn or use the removal on it.

The deck does contain version 2, 3 and 4 of Omnath. I couldn't really justify the OG Omnath, Locus of Mana as it doesn't fit the theme all that well.
But it is nice that Omnath, Locus of the Roil and Omnath, Locus of Rage fit the deck so well for a flavor win. This is also my first Omnath deck. I've played friends version of Omnath, Locus of Mana and Omnath, Locus of Rage but never brewed around any of the versions until now.

Omnath, Locus of Creation - Creating the Perfect Storm

Land ramp instant/sorcery

Instant/sorcery (other)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

Tags:

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

This list looks well-thought out and it includes Zacama, Primal Calamity. I don't even care what else is in the list, I'm now building it because I've wanted another Zacama deck that doesn't have Zacama at the helm (people got really salty about losing to Jurassic Park infinite mana...).

But this list is EXTREMELY light on removal/interaction effects. This kind of mentality seems to force a very linear game-plan for the deck, which isn't what I would personally play. Is there any reason that you have such a minimal interaction count? It seems SUPER risky, even if this is a Storm deck.

darrenhabib

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
But this list is EXTREMELY light on removal/interaction effects. This kind of mentality seems to force a very linear game-plan for the deck, which isn't what I would personally play. Is there any reason that you have such a minimal interaction count? It seems SUPER risky, even if this is a Storm deck.
I have to say when I build storm decks that I do make them e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y focused. Sometimes you have a vision and pesky removal just gets in the way of that :P

I've never made a deck in blue without Cyclonic Rift and Swan Song (well except Niv-Mizzet Reborn) no matter how focused the deck is.
Is it risky? For sure. Is it incorrect? Realistically probably yes.

I was thinking about including Imperial Recruiter and Recruiter of the Guard as other ETB creatures that could get Skyclave Apparition as further reach in the deck for removal.
Gamble was also in my list at one stage. But I ended up not including tutors just because I play so many of them in other decks.

Probably for the sake of sanity while up against more competitive decks you'd want more interaction.

Further ETB creatures could be Terastodon or Knight of Autumn. Terastodon on Turn 4 or 5 sounds kind of nauseating..for opponents that is.

On an unrelated note I want to add Valakut Awakening // Valakut Stoneforge as another sort of Brainstorm effect where if I get flooded with lands especially I can put them back into the deck. My worry is drawing too many lands and really wanting them in the deck for all the searches.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

That is a generally true point about your decks... They start out uber focused and then expand into a (hopefully) more well-rounded decklist lol.

Omnath seems really good in Golos decks as well since it's triggered ability funds half the mana to activate Golos' ability. I mean, that's not really impressive or anything (because everything is good in a Golos deck) but it's definitely worth mentioning.

Personally, with the various tutor effects in these colors, I think you could easily shrink the Flicker package down so that you can add in more value cards. The list that I brainstormed is as follows:

Omnath, Locus of Absurd Value
Approximate Total Cost:

There are some cards that I think you should definitely consider for your own list, notably:
  • Trade Routes - helps you to trigger Landfall at will and also helps to pitch excess lands for more cards.
  • Overburden - this card is all upside for this deck, truly. Help your opponents stumble on mana while you have basically a free outlet in triggering multiple instances of landfall per turn.
  • Cloudstone Curio - this should probably replace one of your instant Flicker effects since it's repeatable.
  • Azorius Chancery et al - lands that generate another instance of landfall for the deck while also accelerating your mana base.
  • Field of the Dead - because duh.
  • Oboro, Palace in the Clouds - another land that can trigger landfall abilities at will.
  • Mystic Sanctuary - um, why isn't this in your deck? It's a land that helps you recycle any instant or sorcery and is tutorable via a fetch-land
  • Wargate - I know that you decided to shy away from tutors in this list, but I can't think of a good reason not to include at least this one. It doubles as a landfall enabler while getting pretty much any card you could want to help further your Storm turn.
  • Dream Stalker - another way to pick up a land OR an ETB creature so that you can continue your Storm turn. It also helps to add diversity across your Flicker effects.
  • Mina and Denn, Wildborn - another Landfall engine for the deck while also helping your creatures get through for combat damage.
  • Mana Breach - another Staxy piece that this deck is beautifully built to asymmetrically take advantage of. Moar landfall triggers!!
  • Tireless Tracker - creating a huge heap of Clues that you can crack on your Storm turn seems awesome. And being able to have a massive beater feels good too. This guy seems like a great fit for this deck.
  • Nissa, Vital Force - it's SO easy to trigger her ultimate in a game of Commander and all of her modes are useful. Returning a fetchland or key permanent is fantastic and her emblem will probably win the game for you.
Anyways, it was DEFINITELY fun to theory-craft this deck. I already have an ETB spam deck with my Golos deck, but this one looks to be JUST as fun!

Simto

Post by Simto » 3 years ago

Very cool deck! I'm planning on making a Landfall/Omnath deck when I'm not a broke pleb anymore. Looks like a really fun deck.

darrenhabib

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
There are some cards that I think you should definitely consider for your own list, notably:
  • Trade Routes - helps you to trigger Landfall at will and also helps to pitch excess lands for more cards.
  • Overburden - this card is all upside for this deck, truly. Help your opponents stumble on mana while you have basically a free outlet in triggering multiple instances of landfall per turn.
  • Cloudstone Curio - this should probably replace one of your instant Flicker effects since it's repeatable.
  • Azorius Chancery et al - lands that generate another instance of landfall for the deck while also accelerating your mana base.
  • Field of the Dead - because duh.
  • Oboro, Palace in the Clouds - another land that can trigger landfall abilities at will.
  • Mystic Sanctuary - um, why isn't this in your deck? It's a land that helps you recycle any instant or sorcery and is tutorable via a fetch-land
  • Wargate - I know that you decided to shy away from tutors in this list, but I can't think of a good reason not to include at least this one. It doubles as a landfall enabler while getting pretty much any card you could want to help further your Storm turn.
  • Dream Stalker - another way to pick up a land OR an ETB creature so that you can continue your Storm turn. It also helps to add diversity across your Flicker effects.
  • Mina and Denn, Wildborn - another Landfall engine for the deck while also helping your creatures get through for combat damage.
  • Mana Breach - another Staxy piece that this deck is beautifully built to asymmetrically take advantage of. Moar landfall triggers!!
  • Tireless Tracker - creating a huge heap of Clues that you can crack on your Storm turn seems awesome. And being able to have a massive beater feels good too. This guy seems like a great fit for this deck.
  • Nissa, Vital Force - it's SO easy to trigger her ultimate in a game of Commander and all of her modes are useful. Returning a fetchland or key permanent is fantastic and her emblem will probably win the game for you.
Anyways, it was DEFINITELY fun to theory-craft this deck. I already have an ETB spam deck with my Golos deck, but this one looks to be JUST as fun!
I did look at Mana Breach and Overburden and thought they would be shoe in for a cEDH version of Omnath.
The net result for me is that I would end up with no lands in play at the end of any "good" turn. Now your deck can work with that much better with Birds of Paradise, Noble Hierarch, Incubation Druid, Faeburrow Elder, plus you're not so much on the storm, so your deck is much more accommodating for the "no lands at start of turn" game plan.

Cloudstone Curio is a great idea. Lot's of shenanigans.

With Mana Breach, Overburden and Cloudstone Curio cards like Sakura-Tribe Scout and Skyshroud Ranger become way more appealing.
I would swap Arboreal Grazer for Sakura-Tribe Scout in your deck for this reason.

I was also considering Panharmonicon but I'd want more of the land ramp ETB creatures like Wood Elves, Yavimaya Dryad, Solemn Simulacrum (to guarantee 2 landfall triggers) before I did that.

I purposefully left out Mina and Denn, Wildborn and Wayward Swordtooth as playing additional lands is only good if you already have draw engines setup. That is you actually need a good threshold of lands in your hand. Of course in your build you have the Mana Breach and Overburden so are looking much better. You should probably have the Wayward Swordtooth as well.

I left out Tireless Tracker for the same reason that I left out Dawn of Hope in that I can't imagine spending 2 on draw. However having clues hang around is much better in that you can use them on a rainy day instead. Sometimes just having additional things on the board can help with sacrifice cards like annihilator.

Nissa, Vital Force might be a bit slow for me as well. Like the deck has 31 creatures so I could probably just get draw from a Beast Whisperer at a initial faster rate.

Wargate is always a card I forget exists. Sounds good I'll just replace Recruiter of the Guard as I can get a similar role out of it if needing to find creature cards.

Azorius Chancery, Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, Mystic Sanctuary, Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Field of the Dead.
The clear difference I have to contend with in general is that I need my deck to have a really good number of basics so that Dreamscape Artist, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Springbloom Druid, Harrow, Prismatic Vista, Fabled Passage always have targets.
I'm not looking at these cards as once off effects, but playing/casting these multiple times in a game.
If I have Ramunap Excavator and access to Prismatic Vista then I'm going to be using it as many times as I can. I really want it to be the only land I play really. I'll be looking to to loop Springbloom Druid with Trove Warden, Admonition Angel, Emeria Shepherd as much as possible.
My point is that non-basics, especially those that don't have a basic land type do come at a real cost to the deck.
However Mystic Sanctuary does have a land type so good call. I'll make good use of it and including Cloudstone Curio is going to give me some loops I'd say.

Just because the deck remains theory-crafting I want to try the high flicker threshold of cards, and then once satisfied I can reduce or increase the number. As you mentioned I tend to test the extremes first so that limits can be tested. It might be that I just don't have enough of them to get the chains going in the first place, so if I try and skimp then the concept is not really tested.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

Are you purposefully excluding dualcaster mage?

darrenhabib

kirkusjones wrote:
3 years ago
Are you purposefully excluding dualcaster mage?
Wasn't on my radar. I see you can infinitely flicker it by targeting an exile spell, but you'd specifically need Acrobatic Maneuver, Displace, Ghostly Flicker to get any advantages. Sure sounds pretty hard to pass up.

Remove

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 years ago

So, I just got through playing about a dozen games with my new Korvold Brawl deck on Arena, and I have to say, Scute Swarm is NUTS!!!! And should be in basically any lands matter deck. With the new Greenwarden and Azusa out, I made 64 tokens in one turn. Even if you're not focused on taking advantage of a swarm like that, you're not NOT taking advantage of a swarm like that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”