Tazri's SpecOps: 5c Rebels & Activated Abilities

Uncle_Krupi
Snow Creature—Human Scientist
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Uncle_Krupi » 3 days ago

Tazri's SpecOps
5c Rebels & Activated Abilities

tazri banner 01.jpg

While Rebels might not seem scary at first glance, this is a deck that is robust, recovers quickly from wraths, is relatively immune to counterspells and can win explosively. Above all, it's a hell of a lot of fun to pilot. It gets what it needs at a given time, but is adaptable and plays differently depending on the needs of each game. I hope this deck brings you some inspiration. As always, questions, comments and advice are welcome.

Moxfield link: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/e6Gv9gtKkECMFZF6GDDKcQ

Tazri's SpecOps

Subcommander

Instants (3)

Sorceries (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

Deck Overview

In a sentence, your goal is to have a Rebel out with an effect like Maskwood Nexus or Arcane Adaptation to make most of your deck available, at instant speed, without casting spells and therefore being vulnerable to counterspells. Completing the "holy trinity" are mass land-untappers like Seedborn Muse or Sword of Feast and Famine. This deck actually existed (albeit without Tazri) when Prophet of Kruphix was still legal, and caused my friends to correctly predict its banning. But anyway...

While Tazri, Stalwart Survivor's second ability is obviously and excellent midgame option once you have your mana fixed, do not underestimate her first ability. She herself is a sort of mana dork that can help your rebels tutor for more rebels, alongside other early utility creatures like Weathered Wayfarer and Stoneforge Mystic.

Lin-Sivvi, Defiant Hero is the "sub-commander" of the deck and nearly always a good choice to search for using the deck's various creature tutors, even without Maskwood Nexus-style effects.

There's also a Human tribal subtheme, making Angel of Glory's Rise an explosive play. Mana dorks are generally humans like Heronblade Elite, Intrepid Paleontologist, Biophagus, et cetera. Humans also go in a lot of utility slots, like Ertai Resurrected, Dynaheir, Invoker Adept, Captain Sisay, Samut, Voice of Dissent and more.

Because we love tutoring, there's also a healthy Legendary package for Captain Sisay to reach for various options as well. Ready to win? Reach for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. Need something countered? Ertai Resurrected. Problem rock or enchantment? Loran of the Third Path. You get the idea.

Counterspells which untap your lands, like Rewind and Unwind, are important as they don't force you to choose between the instant or activating an ability.

Piloting the Deck

Early Game. Ideally you use your lesser Rebels to work your way toward Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero. Combining her with an effect like Maskwood Nexus or Arcane Adaptation (lots of ways to reach for these), allowing you to respond with whatever creature you need at any given time. The added importance of this effect is that your dudes are now only counterable by ability counters, which are of course much rarer than standard counterspells. Tazri allows most of your creatures contribute to the ability costs. Even without Lin Sivvi, all Rebels function well with Maskwood effects as there's a large toolbox for whatever you need at 2 and 3 CMC. Add untappers like Seedborn Muse, Sword of Feast and Famine or Innocuous Researcher to the mix and you're golden.

Mid-Game. While Tazri allows you to "convoke" activated abilities, it still benefits you at all times to have mana open, so effects like Seedborn Muse. Wilderness Reclamation-type effects really send this deck into overdrive. This is really the point where you're going to be seen as a threat however, so if you're playing these then you had better have an imminent plan to win or you're going to be hated off the table.

Late Game. If you're established and don't need any silver bullet in particular, tutor for Sire of Insanity as you probably won't be needing a hand as much as your opponents; in a way he sort of acts as an Armageddon for a deck that continues to need its lands. If not Sire, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite works well if you have an established board. Angel of Glory's Rise is amazing if you have a graveyard full of rebels and mana dorks.

Lands

The deck structure is low to the ground and usually runs with an aggressive 36 lands as it can scrounge up rescources in land droughts much of the time. I would personally not risk running any utility lands to avoid being color-screwed; as such the deck only runs mana fixers.

Last edited by Uncle_Krupi 3 days ago, edited 6 times in total.

Tags:

Uncle_Krupi
Snow Creature—Human Scientist
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Uncle_Krupi » 3 days ago

This is one of my more established and long-term decks so I'll reserve a slot for upcoming changes, game reports and other meta subjects.

As always, questions, comments and feedback are really appreciated. I've been on hiatus from MtG for the last few years so I'm still getting used to the huge volume of new cards, and appreciate any assistance catching up. Thank you in advance!

Game Reports

When I have the time.

Change Log

Thread created March, 2024.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”