Kambal, Consul of Allocation

Reaper_RM
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Reaper_RM » 3 years ago

I chose to go the death and taxes route with Kambal. It started off as something I just threw together and had minimal success.
I have been adding gradually to the list and it's starting to compete very well in my playgroups. As always, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Kambal, Death and Taxes
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Reaper_RM 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Reaper_RM

Right now I am looking at replacing these cards. Have a pretty good idea as to what is going in. You all are welcome to give your thoughts on choices.

OUT:
Falkenrath Noble
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Pristine Talisman
Hissing Miasma
Sanguine Bond
Wound Reflection
Ancient Craving
Greed
Moonlight Bargain
Boon Reflection

So far, these cards are what I have come up for replacements.

IN:
Arcane Signet
Everflowing Chalice
Syr Konrad, the Grim
Mindcrank
Erebos, God of the Dead
Smothering Tithe
Necropotence
Night's Whisper
Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose
Aura of Silence

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I'll agree with most of those cuts, and most of the additions. You don't really have any token production, so aristocrats cards like Falkenrath Noble and Blood Artist go down in value. Similarly, without any sacrifice effects, Kokusho, the Evening Star looks a lot worse. I don't know if I would cut Sanguine Bond, but as you're not running Exquisite Blood, that also goes down a bit in value.

Blood Seeker seems a bit underwhelming to me. I'd probably lean towards Soul Warden effects, but meh.
I don't see any way to trigger High Priest of Penance.

I'd recommend considering a few more payoffs for your lifegain. Vizkopa Guildmage, Well of Lost Dreams, and Dawn of Hope are all options. Unsure if you gain enough life for Aetherflux Reservoir to be a win condition, but could be interesting. Bolas's Citadel is also interesting with lots of lifegain.

Reaper_RM

Sanguine Bond is getting cut purely based on cmc and the fact that the ability is on a lot of different cards. With Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose being a 3 cmc version, it makes much more sense to me. Exquisite Blood will definitley make it in the list when I can find a copy, it is rather pricey at the moment. Blood Artist and Blood Seeker will probably get cut later as the deck evovles.

High Priest of Penance is a nice trap card, you block with it and vindicate something. I'm still on the fence if I want to use the soul sisters here.

Well of Lost Dreams might come in as additional card draw. Bolas's Citadel does work, and even more so with Necropotence to filter out lands and unwanted cards, which in turn would make Aetherflux Reservoir great as well.

Notably, I'm missing all the good X spells. Which I need to evaluate and decided which are a good fit after I see what is working in the deck and what is not.

End of the day though, there are a lot of good cards to be used, and I guess it's all about the direction I take with the deck. With all these options available it's hard to decide which tax, gain and drain to use and how many of each. Trial and error for sure. But I do appreciate your suggestions.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 years ago

There's some value in keeping Sanguine Bond as it is harder to remove than a creature.

Blood Seeker I would only consider keeping if your meta has a lot of decks that dump creatures or tokens onto the table.

High Priest is something I've been wanting to run for a while, but without a way to damage it yourself, and especially without a way to damage it AND have it not die (or recycle it efficiently), it's just not a good card.

Reaper_RM

Update: Made a few more changes to fine tune the deck. Added in a couple X spells for bombs. Some spare tutors I had left and just some value I thought would work better. Side note: Did not add Aura of Silence. Found out I didn't have one and I'll have to buy one later.

Out:
Blood Seeker
High Priest of Penance
Wayfarer's Bauble
Chalice of Life // Chalice of Death
Crawlspace
Ashes of the Abhorrent
Palace Siege
Succumb to Temptation
Ambition's Cost

In:
Exsanguinate
Debt to the Deathless
Grim Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Soul's Attendant
Leonin Arbiter
Underworld Dreams
God-Pharaoh's Statue
Return to Dust

Reaper_RM

I am able to focus more on this deck now that the other 2 are pretty well established. I've been playing this deck every week and I am having mixed reviews. Sometimes it ramps good and curves out and I will lock down my opponents. Other times I will drain the whole board down, but have no way to win with my bombs not being present or counter. And lastly sometimes the deck just chokes. I would say each of these happens a third of the time. So out of 3 games I'll see each thing happen.

I think I have something going here, but I don't know if it is all cohesive yet. Would love some feedback to see what can be worked on.

Haman

Post by Haman » 3 years ago

i think you run too little lands, maybe 2 more.
you know the idea of enablers and payoff?
eg more mana = better x spell
more life= better use of life loss spell?
maybe you should be looking at greed, command the dreadhorde, phyrexian processor and promise of power.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

Looks like a solid list, though i am wondering about a few cards that are absolute powerhouses in my Kambal, Consul of Allocation list.

Bloodchief Ascension gets turbo-charged by our commander and triggers from virtually everything.

I would swap some of the one time draws (especially the CMC 3 ones) for repetitive draw, like Dawn of Hope, Well of Lost Dreams and Greed.

If i were to run another one time draw, it would be Necrologia, which is more or less a one time Necropotence.

Bolas's Citadel is just blatantly cheating with a solid life gain scheme in place.

One half of Revival // Revenge is just bonkers. And even the reasonable one can return you several of your hate bears and your commander, if need be.

Righteous Aura|VIS wrecks so many things without a significant downside, it's ridiculous.

Ethereal Haze is another niché card, i like a lot. While most might read it as a Holy Day, it prevents all damage from creatures. So, no Niv-Mizzets, Purphys, ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”