Zeduu: Rejecting and Rewriting Reality

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

Warning: this deck is intentional terrible.

Zedruu the Greathearted can lead a lot of decks, from control to politics, chaos to voltron. This is not one of those; this is a Magical Hack deck. The objective is to make use of terrible, corner case color or land based cards and make them more useful for the current battlefield. NOTE: this deck dies to Eldrazi, among a lot of other things. This is one of my lowest power deck by design, playing long games with most useful board states taking many turns to set up.

Ignore the Grindstone|Kaladesh Inventions, I was just tired of seeing it in my binder and I like the art. I used the unbanning of Painter's Servant as an excuse.
Zeduu: Urborg makes your lands Forests

Retaining Hacking Privileges

Hacking Permanents

Hacking targets - Wincons

Hacking targets - Ramp and Draw

Approximate Total Cost:

So, if the deck has low compatibility with Zeduu, why use her as the commander? The simple answer is that some of these effects are global and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is legendary. Through Zedruu, I can set everyone's lands to be Savai Triome while using Celestial Dawn to have only islands and have Karma punish my opponents. Zedruu also sets up the only infinite combo that I intend to use, Justice + Opalescence. Changing the color text on Justice to say white, then responding to it's trigger on something by gifting it to an opponent with Opalescence out creates a damage loop where Justice punishes it's new controller for the crime of punishing them.

Other "fun" synergies include using Tundra Kavu to turn Gaea's Cradle into a plains, then Quarum Trench Gnomes to permanently make it a Wastes. Alternatively, hack Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign to trigger on dwarves entering the battlefield or Najeela, the Blade-Blossom to trigger from wizards.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Tags:

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Realmwright, High Tide, Engulf the Shore are a few cards I'm finding to be spicy in my Zedruu lands build (only goldfished as of yet), though admittedly our decks are very different and your mileage may vary. Like, High Tide starts getting stupid when you Realmwright and Bonus Round to set it up, Turnabout to ritual, float all mana, Aura Fracture all your lands away, Faith's Reward them back and tap again. Long story short, adding some land sac and recursion here might be fun for you and preserve the jank feel.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

I should consider Engulf the Shore, I don't think that was printed when I first cast my net to build this. Realmwright is actually more difficult, specifically because it names the type once on EtB, and can't be changed afterwards without flickering. It's not "hack-able", and I've tried to avoid that limitation here. I know how well the fixing it provides is in other decks, so I my reconsider it.

I'd be a bit worried about including High Tide here, because of how symmetric my effects on land are. I can't really profit from tide without also affecting all my opponent's land that turn. Also, they would be more likely to be able to use all that mana than this deck could.

I like Faith's Reward loops, but would probably avoid it for two reasons. First, I don't really have a lot of good mana sinks for that much mana here. This is definitely a slower, value over turns deck with most of the draw being either during upkeep or dependent on my opponents triggering cards. I wouldn't really get that much of a payoff. Second, I already to land looping in a couple of other decks. It's actually a larger engine in my Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck, but done via Splendid Reclamation and World Shaper.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”