Multani - the story of a hurricane

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

So I kinda whipped up this deck, which is based off something I saw played against me once at an LGS back when those were a thing. It's pretty comboey and can feel like playing solitaire sometimes. Playing online is a lot more cutthroat than I'm used to and my usual deck (Uro) is very slow. This deck explodes. The basic premise is to ramp hard and fast, play Multani into a greater good style effect and keep going. Make insane amounts of mana and drop an elderscale wurm/glacial chasm into a massive squall line/hurricane. It can go off as early as turn 3 or 4 sometimes. I'm pretty sure I could make it faster by using some more lands to hand effects rather than ramp, or if it's even out there some more lands to battlefield untapped effects. This deck goes quite infinite, not something I usually do. But since I can't play with my friends and most of mtgo is cutthroat as hell it has made me happy to try and recreate this beast. I would like to know the thoughts of @darrenhabib on this. Most likely cuts seem Veteran Explorer [/card], Explosive Vegetation, World Shaper(not even sure why this is in here) and the mana dorks. High profile adds would be anything that can untap all my lands on demand and cheap ramp that etb's untapped.

The commander is Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar [/card]...forgot how to make that show up right.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

EDIT 10/5/2020 - list update
Last edited by WolfWhoWanders 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Responds well to spells and abilities

Tags:

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Its hard to go wrong with a deck like this. Draw and mana..yup.

You want to play the maximum number of draw=power, so Return of the Wildspeaker and Life's Legacy as well.

Grim Monolith is $10 on MTGO and goes infinite colorless with Nyxbloom Ancient or Mana Reflection.

Selvala, Heart of the Wilds is $4, and amazing for producing mana.

Its super hard to pass up on Finale of Devastation. With Green Sun's Zenith its nice to have a few silver bullets in creatures.
Along those lines for additional access you can change City of Solitude to Dosan the Falling Leaf.
Harrow to Springbloom Druid.
Reclamation Sage and/or Caustic Caterpillar.
Also Collector Ouphe look amazing in this deck.

Genesis Wave is a must.

A little edge you can try is using Natural Order to get out a quick Nyxbloom Ancient (or Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger).

Not really sure about Hurricane and Squall Line.
If you want win conditions then Shaman of Forgotten Ways has always done me proud.
Also Kamahl, Fist of Krosa Kamahl is a great defense card against creature board wipes as you can threaten to make your opponents lands into creatures. I've punished a Toxic Deluge type effect by turning all the casters lands into a 1/1 creatures, then followed that up with the question.."why would you purposefully destroy all your land like that!?"

WolfWhoWanders

Had actually thought of Return of the Wildspeaker [/card] but forgot about Life's Legacy. Grim Monolith is still more than I currently have tix for and I don't think it's totally necessary. Collector Ouphe [/card] is in for sure, might as well swap City of Solitude [/card] for Dosan the Falling Leaf [/card]. My initial reasoning was City is harder to remove but if you can start going off after dropping Dosan it probably doesn't matter. I like the idea of using Shaman of Forgotten Ways, but Hurricane and Squall Line work great and you will likely have the mana/ability to drop an Elderscale Wurm out and survive it. Also unsure of what I'd do if they have creatures, where hurricane/squall line should win outright no matter what. I love the idea of using Kamahl, but I use him in a mono g prison deck and I think this deck is too fast to need him like that.

So changes are:
+ Return of the Wildspeaker
+ Life's Legacy
+ Dosan the Falling Leaf
+ Genesis Wave
+ Collector Ouphe
+ Natural Order

- Rishkar's Expertise
- Llanowar Elves
- City of Solitude
- Elvish Mystic
- Explosive Vegetation
- World Shaper

Rishkar's expertise might have to come back, I'll make the OP reflect the changes too.

EDIT:
ALso decided
+ Springbloom Druid

- Veteran Explorer

It's pretty nice how they bring up auto selections when tagging cards. Props to whoever did that...but I have to keep deleting the second [/card] part of the tag because it adds an extra one

WolfWhoWanders

@darrenhabib

And yeah...draw and mana. It's not the spiciest or even necessarily interesting type of build but it can slam a game out and I already had most of the cards. Folks online don't seem to mind this too much so far, and I only join higher power pods with it. Been trying out Greven, Predator Captain too, slightly closer to your build than mine. Namely it has Ad Nauseam which seems surprisingly more fair than I thought it would. I mean, the point is to one shot people so whatever. It also has the tutors which I opted out of on paper. Otherwise they came out quite similar. Coolest cards I pulled from your build were Fury of the Horde and Immolating Souleater. Ok enough derailing my own thread, but I typed this out already so I'm not gonna delete it.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Trying to test this out but hilariously I'm missing Hurricane, which seems important. Also elderscale wurm which also seems important.

I don't have this either, but have you considered running Borrowing the East Wind? Kinda does the same thing. And you'd probably be the only person ever to play it which is always cool.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

WolfWhoWanders

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Trying to test this out but hilariously I'm missing Hurricane, which seems important. Also elderscale wurm which also seems important.

I don't have this either, but have you considered running Borrowing the East Wind? Kinda does the same thing. And you'd probably be the only person ever to play it which is always cool.
Those are both pretty crucial, you could get by without them but you'd be relying solely on Glacial Chasm and Squall Line. I like the idea of including Borrowing the East Wind. Surprisingly "cheap" for a p3k card, I wonder if it's on mtgo though. Gotta love opportunities for burn in green.

EDIT: grammar
Last edited by WolfWhoWanders 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

WolfWhoWanders

So I made a couple more changes.

- Genesis Wave
- Springbloom Druid
- Forest

+ Rishkar's Expertise
+ Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
+ Gingerbread Cabin

Felt bad to drop a massive genny wave and bin your wincons, so I put expertise back in. This deck feels like it would rather draw the cards than put them into play anyway. Hard to flip a Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant when all the lands are out. I didn't realize Springbloom Druid put the lands into play tapped, which rather diminishes it's value considerably when you're going off. Tossed in cousin Kozzy for some mill/decking protection, it can be surprisingly easy to deck yourself. He can draw some cards which is useful too. Swapped a forest for Gingerbread Cabin, could be useful during the occasional situation where you pop off early enough in the game that all you need is a couple more life to survive the Hurricane and annihilate the table.

WolfWhoWanders

Took out a Sakura tribe scout for a lotus cobra, might be a little win more so I don't think it will stay. Scout has been unimpressive, the potential to drop out a glacial chasm seems nice but available with other cards. Kozilek had turned out to be a great add. May consider Autumn's veil for more combo turn protection. Might take out the wakeroot elemental too, seems win more. Kind of detracts from the fun little mini game of just how big of a hurricane can I cast without being "infinite". I've hit about 1500 so far

WolfWhoWanders

Decided to up the mean a notch, threw in a Ramunap Excavator, Crucible of Worlds and a couple more strip mine effects. I've gotten more value out of the fetches this way too. It is always right to play lands from the yard first. Had a sick turn where I dumped a freshly wheeled hand using excavator, a fetch and Lotus Cobra. Overall unimpressed with the cobra tho, it may come out for another basic forest even. I think Gingerbread Cabin comes out too, it has slowed me down more than saved me and doesn't count as a basic for Early Harvest. I would almost say this deck could be cedh viable in today's more mid rangey meta, but I would need to tweak a little more and test to see if I can back that statement up. One of these days I'll update the main post with the list I'm currently running which is several cards off from what's listed now. Manabond is dead more often than not, that definitely got cut a while back.

Most folks ask me to end their suffering, but a few have wanted to see how big of a hurricane it can be, Biggest so far is like 14hundred something. I made it "non-infinite" and took Wakeroot Elemental out...it's not really necessary if you already are popping off and adds the fun "how big can it get" mini-game to it. I wouldn't play this in a non infinite pod and expect people to be happy about it tho. Llanowar Druid often gets offed, but it's so good if it gets left alone long enough to get going. I had someone Boros Charm me to death after going a little too ham with Sylvan Library last game...it was pretty hilarious and definitely stopped me from going off that turn. Was sitting on Veil of Summer too, but dang ol' boros charm is...boros colors.

WolfWhoWanders

I also really want Seedtime in here

WolfWhoWanders

+1 Beanstalk Giant // Fertile Footsteps

-1 Wood Elves

I didn't realize beanstalk giant put the land in untapped, makes it a little better than the elves because if for some reason Multani is unavailable you could play giant and try to draw cards off it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”