Purphoros, Bronze Blooded - The Creature Cannon

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Chromaticus wrote:
2 years ago
Mirage Phalanx makes the cut in my list! Would love another big Timmy red card sometime soon - but these clones are nice in the meantime!
Yep I agree. Not sure what gets the cut but this should be a nice add for sure.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

+1 for the Phalanx! Looks like a neat addition.

Markov Enforcer could do some work, too. Another removal-on-legs with the added benefit of some looting. I don't think we will ever get a second blood token though.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

Oh, Dollhouse of Horrors could be another great addition to the graveyard shenanigans this deck is capable of.

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 2 years ago

I came back to the the thread to mention Dollhouse of Horrors — you beat me to it!

As much as we want to be the beatdown in this deck, so much of the real value is in the etb and on attack triggers. I think this card will do more work than, say, Panharmonicon in the average list.

toctheyounger

I'm personally not that sold on the Dollhouse. It gives us beaters, but without a way to untap it it really isn't something thats going to turn this time in my opinion. Comparing it to Panharmonicon, we can get multiple triggers off of that in a turn, whereas in a vacuum Dollhpuse gives us one activation per turn cycle. It just seems like a card to build around to me.

Chromaticus

Toc, have you considered Combat Celebrant for your list? It's one of my favorite damage doublers for the deck, especially because it lets you double up on the on-attack triggers.

toctheyounger

Chromaticus wrote:
2 years ago
Toc, have you considered Combat Celebrant for your list? It's one of my favorite damage doublers for the deck, especially because it lets you double up on the on-attack triggers.
I have, I just haven't managed to track a copy down. I'm also somewhat reluctant to pay the going rate for it, but I could look past that.

Chromaticus

Fun game with the deck last night—

The key turn was playing around a Thalia, Heretic Cathar with a FAT board from the Winota, Joiner of Forces player. As he went to his end step, I snuck in Hoarding Dragon - followed by Hammerfist Giant on the end step trigger.

Hoarding Dragon searched for Basilisk Collar - and the next turn I equipped up the Hammerfist Giant and wiped the board- gaining 64 life.

Ancient Stone Idol also did a lot of work - 6/12 trample is a LOT to leave behind. I've been really liking my package of big artifact dudes that leave behind smaller artifact dudes —

Ancient Stone Idol
Wurmcoil Engine
Phyrexian Triniform
Triplicate Titan

The games in which I draw one of these guys feel so much safer - and give some sustained damage if I can't just close out the game.

Scariest moment of the game was when the Araumi of the Dead Tide player dropped Gyruda, Doom of Depths and nabbed my Moraug, Fury of Akoum. Fortunately, I had enough life to survive 2 double combat alphas in a row - and topdecked the Bogardan Hellkite that paired with Warstorm Surge for the win.

Gotta love that I played 40 mana worth of spells - this deck is the ultimate Timmy experience.

toctheyounger

And thats why the collar is in the list. Thats a crazy play for sure. Gonna try and get some game play in myself at some point today. Its been a while since I got a chance to trial any changes so I'm pretty itching to crack into it and see how things are looking.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

Has Cloudstone Curio been talked about already? Seems like a no-brainer for the deck so that you can spam multiple ETB triggers in a turn and save the juciest cards. With this particular deck and Commander, it seems like an incredibly solid source of card advantage.

toctheyounger

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Has Cloudstone Curio been talked about already? Seems like a no-brainer for the deck so that you can spam multiple ETB triggers in a turn and save the juciest cards. With this particular deck and Commander, it seems like an incredibly solid source of card advantage.
Mmm i think it mightve been mentioned in passing; I know from play Curio is just disgusting, it'd be a really solid add. The only deterrent from adding it myself is price, that thing ain't cheap. I do have a copy in Nissa, which I've been thinking of dismantling anyway lately. I don't think I'm quite ready to say goodbye though. But yeah, Curio would be gross here I would think. Pairing it with Terror of the Peaks, or Inferno Titan seems brutal.

toctheyounger

Well I got some gameplay in, and won two in a row. Nothing quite as Timmy as gaining 64 life and blowing everything up but I did some neat things regardless.

Game 1 ended on about turn 5 when, after a Rionya, Fire Dancer deck dropped Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and passed turn without going off. I was holding onto a Zealous Conscripts, and one of the other players was running Sen Triplets. I could either pop Magus of the wheel and make sure neither of us went off, or take the chance they chose someone else. They did and I stole a win. Not my preferred method but it sufficed.

Game 2 was beat down central, same decks. Got a hugely explosive start with turn one Sandstone Needle, turn 2 Spinerock Knoll, removing a depletion counter into Sol Ring into Mind Stone into Skullclamp. Rionya played Dockside Extortionist on their turn for 11 treasures, and when my turn came back around I drew into Cursed Mirror. Copied the pirate, made 14 treasures, landed Purph, snuck Myr Battlesphere into play, swung in for 8+4 which went unblocked, and cast my hideaway spell for free which was Bloodfire Colossus. I then clamped two myr to refill to 7 and popped the colossus which killed the board.

From there the game was pretty much done, I had thicc boys in hand to drop in Balefire Dragon and Scourge of the Throne, as well as Kiki/Conscripts, both pieces and an Assault Suit to keep pieces around. I considered just going off again but two games in a row seemed a bit gauche and I really only want them as an out. The previous game was different, using someone else's, and really it was a race to the finish there anyway.

I didn't see much of any new additions sadly, although Cursed Mirror was quite good. Theres a case to be made that copying the Dockside won me the game.

toctheyounger

It's been a while between updates, but I've made a couple more changes here.

Pretty happy with most of these, the Phalanx should be straight up gross. Delina ought to be good value too for ETBs, combat and just generally creatures in play. The MDFC is a zero opportunity cost Fling for stuff that is already going to die anyway, and why not weaponise your lands? Fortune is probably the one I'm most on the fence about. It's cheaper and has a higher ceiling than Reforge, but it could be a wasted slot anyway. Ideally I think the more draw I have on creatures the better off I am here anyway, so ultimately it's probably a placeholder anyway.

In terms of cuts, Panharmonicon I was finding less and less useful. I checked over ETB triggers, and there just aren't enough to really justify it's inclusion. As an aside, that probably means Cloudstone Curio ain't it either. The Golem is fine if a bit underwhelming, although the ETB is useful from time to time. It's probably a flex spot depending on how many non-creature removal targets are in your meta.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”