Thassa, One of the Deep

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Thassa, The Lady of the Deep

Can I be invited to the Trampoline Party?

Table of Contents

Introduction

Thassa, Deep-Dwelling was my first introduction to a mono-blue deck. Originally built as a budget deck and then taken apart to merge into a Dimir deck with Atris at the helm, Thassa is now back in her truly righteous place. Our Lady Thassa absolutely abuses ETB effects and is a powerhouse at cheating in cards and grinding out value no matter the board state. If you like ETB effects that you can use once…. you'll like them even more when you can use them multiple times before an answer is given. This deck is geared at being a high powered casual deck that can grind into the later turns if need be.

Why Should You Play Our Lady of the Deep?

Lets take a face value look at what Thassa is herself.
Starting off, you have a very decent CMC cost for a strong commander. At 3 and a Blue, you can easily and consistently have the opportunity to play Thassa before turn four, possibly even as early as turn 1. She fits perfectly into a strong casual slot CMC wise.

Next lets look at her card type. Like all of the Theros Gods, she is a Legendary Enchantment Creature – God. So while she can be hit as both enchantment and creature, she is only a creature part of the time. Adding on to this restriction, she also has the keyword of Indestructible, so the only way to remove her is through exile, or -1/-1 counters.

Next up, the most important part of Thassa and why we choose her as our commander, her flicker ability. It reads as follows "At the beginning of your end step, exile up to one other target creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control." Now there are a couple key things to note here. First, this only triggers at your end step. That means if she, or the other creature you are attempting to flicker, leaves the battlefield prior to your end step, you are out of luck. Second, that creature is going into exile and then returning to the field. Unfortunately, this means we cannot take advantage of death triggers, yet we can use "leave the battlefield" triggers. Finally, the most important part, returning that creature under OUR control. This means if we steal something that will get returned if another condition is met, like with Vedalken Shackles, we can circumvent that requirement as the creature is now ours until removed.

Finally, she has a mana ability tacked on, improving the already impressive commander. Her final ability is nice and simple, and can add a layer of protection for yourself or for planeswalkers under your control. For 3 colorless and a blue, tap another target creature. Simply put, analyze the board pre-combat and identify your threats. Tap the greatest one if needed and move to combat.

Now that I have given my thoughts on Thassa, Deep-Dwelling, what are yours? Is she worthy enough of a place beside you as you seek to rule the table and be the Highlander?

Deck History

This deck probably has the most history out of every deck I have personally ever made. Pretty much from the release of Theros: Beyond Death I was interested in Thassa. The card that first caught my eye was Thassa's Oracle. At the time I was playing a Medium Green TnT deck for commander that was way to competitive for the majority of my LGS. I was looking for a new commander, and since we all know how fun Thassa's Oracle is, I figured I would find a way to build a deck based around this Thassa character. After analyzing the card, much like I did above I settled on a flicker theme. I wanted to take every blue ETB effect that gained me advantage and put it into the deck. I originally set myself a budget for this deck as well. The initial build was meant to be casual and grind out an eventual win, but to win none the less. There were 3 main "win-cons" in the deck. I could take infinite turns, beating people down with Thassa herself or any of the various flyers included in the deck; I could steal everyone's board, then win through combat or opponents scooping; or finally, I could win through drawing my whole deck and use the win-con stapled on Thassa's Oracle or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. It might take me 7-10 turns to get to this point, but the value machine never stopped.

Next game the dark ages for Thassa. After I took apart my Medium Green build I had all of these tutors and strong black cards just sitting in my binder, begging to be used. Thassa was hardly being played anymore, as I was fluctuating between 4 other decks alongside this mono blue build and in the end decided to take the guts of this deck, and combine them with various black staples, making the deck even stronger. Unfortunately, Thassa got moved to the 99 in this time, still recognized for her value, but unable to provide me with the access to Dimir like my dark heart wanted. Enter Atris, Oracle of the Half Truths. Atris functioned much the same way as the original Thassa list did, included a lot of etb's, the same eventual win-cons and adding in the power of black tutors. The speed improved, the consistency improved and overall the deck functioned well. However, abusing Demonic Consultation with Thassa's Oracle was quickly seen as too fast and too strong for the casual deck that I wanted. Back to the box in the corner Thassa ultimately went….

Fear not though, as Thassa, Deep-Dwelling has been reborn! After missing the fun of the original deck list I had put together, I loaded it back up and started tweaking the list. I took out some of the immediate synergy and moved to a slightly different deck. This time I did not set myself a budget and used everything I had available to me to make a stronger, yet still casual speed deck. The deck this time around focused on card draw and cheating expensive spells into play. There is a ton of ramp, but with the mana curve of this beast it is needed. I hope you all enjoy my latest iteration of Thassa, the Goddess of the Deep.

Current Decklist

I Heard You Like the Color Blue…

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Benjameenbear's Decklist
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander

Stax Pieces (4)

Approximate Total Cost:

Card Choice Discussion

There are a lot of options for this deck, after all while something might be good once, if you can repeat the ability, it becomes infinitely better. These are some cards that I have play tested and seen recommended that I just don't feel fit for me.
Creatures
Show
Hide
Creatures
  • Gilded Drake – An amazing theft creature with no ultimate downside, however it is a one time deal. This deck is all about taking advantage of an ETB effect multiple times, and this just doesn't cut it.
  • Willbreaker – Ultimately cut from the final list as it is a very expensive creature that has a hard to activate ability. The only times creatures get targeted in the deck is by removal, and the ability doesn't synergize at the end of the day. We would need both Thassa and Willbreaker on the board + another 4 mana in order to be able to gain advantage. Plus you then have to target the creature you steal with Thassa's flicker, when the majority of the time it is better to flicker your own.
  • Mulldrifter – Once again, an include in my original list, but cut from the final. 5 CMC is a lot to only draw 2 cards. Even being able to recur this ability, you will likely only get a maximum of 4 cards and a small blocker. I would much rather abuse cantrips and various other faster ways of drawing.
  • Naban, Dean of Iteration - Absolutely excellent card. Everything we want out of Thassa. Unfortunately, we are not heavy into Wizard tribal, so most of the time this will just be a dead card to us. Panharmonicon does it better, and that is why it isn't here.
Spells
Show
Hide
Spells
  • Flood of Tears - This card is probably the most interesting of choices I made in the sorcery selection. It was a decision made to deal with stax and token decks, or any creature based deck that gets out of hand. The majority of the time that you are casting this card, it will bounce over 4 of your permanents, allowing you to drop an important card, that cannot be countered. The absolute best play off of a Flood, is to drop an Omniscience, then re-play everything in your hand.
  • Nexus of Fate - Nexus is a more expensive extra turn spell, however; you will be drawing a lot of cards on other peoples turn. Being an instant speed extra turn will allow you to disrupt someone's potential win. The deck does ramp fairly well for being mono blue, and you will likely never have an issue casting this card if you have a good start. The best part of the card is that it gets shuffled back into our library if it were to ever hit the graveyard. This protects us from mill and wheels, letting them kill everyone else while we stay alive.
  • If you have any other cards you would like addressed here, I will address them as I come across them!
Enchantments and Artifacts
Show
Hide
Enchantments and Artifacts
  • Scroll of Fate - Absolutely broken card in Thassa. Have you ever wanted a turn 2 Omniscience? Well with Scroll of Fate you can. Once you play this card, you manifest the most expensive/impactful permanent in your hand onto the battlefield. Once you move to your end step, you target the manifested card, it flicker's and comes back face up, without you having to pay the mana cost.
  • Rhystic Study - While considered mainly a "goodstuff" card, Rhystic study actually does exactly what we want to do in the deck, and that is to draw cards. Card advantage is key, and it slows other people down if they do not want you to have the card advantage. I still run it just for that reason.
  • Teferi's Ageless Insight - This card is actually almost better than Rhystic in the limited time I have used it. This card doubles your card draw beyond your upkeep. You generate tons of card advantage yet not many people see it as a big threat until you play something like Cavalier of Gales and draw 6 cards and put 2 back, netting you 4 cards instead of the normal 1.
  • Back to Basics - Extremely strong card. Shuts down most multi-colored decks, allowing for us to skyrocket ahead. I do suggest running Back to Basics and is the only major Stax piece I would run. You will benefit from running Back to Basics. It currently isn't in my list, but will find a home eventually.
  • Midnight Clock - Not a card I have seen a lot of. It is a 3 cmc rock, that after 3 turns will act as a 1 sided Timetwister. If you have the extra mana, feel free to speed up the clock as needed. The best part is that your opponents do not get to draw off the ability, and resets your hand and grave.
Planeswalkers
Show
Hide
Planeswalkers
  • Jace, Wielder of Mysteries - Can act as a win-con. Most of the time he will be used for extra card draw. If you do get to ult him, it will always bee a good thing, however his ult is not the most important thing. Jace does prevent you from decking yourself and dying, which is needed with all of the draw included.
  • Ugin, the Spirit Dragon - This is our board wipe. Once we have cleared the board, the +2 ability is still strong, allowing us to clear out any new mana dorks or hate bears that will hit the field after a wipe. If Ugin is left alone, or you can keep Thassa in front allowing Ugin to get to his ult, it will typically end the game. There are a plethora of high cmc cards in this deck that if they hit the board will almost always spell the end.
  • Teferi, Master of Time - Oh my. This new walker is one of the strongest available to us. Every time I have successfully played Teferi in this deck, I have won the game. He loots cards for us, protects us anything creature based, and if we get there, ults for us to take an additional 2 turns on the spot. There is a touch of turn spells in this deck, and Teferi fits in perfectly with everything that we want to do.

Deck Philosophy

When rebuilding this deck I looked at what I did previously, looked at what I wanted to do, and how best to make Thassa accomplish that. My previous deck was the deck that is currently listed under the budget list up above. It was a slow grindy game for me, that while consistent, took a lot of time. This deck I wanted to be more explosive and fast paced. I am at heart a cEDH player, trying to win the game as fast as I can. I took the strategy of card advantage and speed, and poured it into this deck. From there I backed the deck off. I made it slightly slower, added in higher cost spells, albeit spells that you never want to see resolve. I changed from a bunch of cheap creatures that do kind of good things, to creatures that once resolve, propel me far ahead of the table.

I look at this deck as a strong casual deck. While pricy, the majority of the deck I already own and was able to put together. I am a combo player and that is how the deck played out. I can take a lot of turns, I can draw my entire deck (infinite draw), I can steal everything on the battlefield, and I am able to generate infinite mana. The deck is very versatile in being able to have multiple game plans based on the board state. I try to almost always have advantage over my opponents and it is rare that this deck does not accomplish that.

Deck Strategy

There are a couple different main plans to win with Thassa. The main plan is that you want to out value your opponents until you are able to assemble one of the various win-cons. Any way works, you can dig very fast through your deck.
Early Game Strategy
The main thing you want to do early is get Thassa out. Thassa, Deep-Dwelling should hit the field no later than turn 3. You want to very quickly afterwards get a way to have card draw. Don't always spend all of your mana, after all you are also a control player. Slow the table down, Thassa can be very explosive, you just need to know when the right time is. If you can get Thassa to become a creature fast, she is also a phenomenal blocker. Play mana rocks and get your devotion to blue up. If possible, go get one of the best cards in the deck, Scroll of Fate. This card allows you sneak any permanent onto the battlefield, and gets around some of the worst parts of this deck, the mana costs.
Mid-Game Strategy
Now that we have entered the mid game, I like to look for explosive ways to draw lots of cards. I will also look to start taking extra turns at this point. You want to start assembling the needed pieces to your combo at this point. At this point I like to be drawing 6+ cards per turn. It is even worth it to play Agent of Treachery at this point if someone is starting to get too threatening. You don't always need to go infinite, just slow the other players down.

Also by this point in the game you should have no maximum hand size. Remove threats at the table and set up to ensure your victory. Once you have the pieces, this deck is nigh unstoppable.
Late-Game
Our easiest win-con is Sunscorched Desert + Naru Meha, Master Wizard +Displace. This will allow for infinite flickering of Sunscorched, burning out the table. Displace and Naru Meha can be used with a combination of cards in the deck to provide value, I have found infinitely flickering an Agent of Treachery is a good way to make everyone scoop as well.

My personal favorite strategy is what I call the sneaky robot. With Thassa and Scroll of Fate, you may manifest a permanent from your hand, flicker it with Thassa and it will return face up! The best targets for this are Blightsteel Colossus and Omniscience. No one expects these cards to hit the battlefield so early and you can get very good value out of both. Blightsteel in himself is a win-con, especially if you can keep him around for a couple turns.

If non of the above strategies suit you, there is still a final way win. They way I designed this deck is to draw cards and draw them fast. You are able to very quickly draw through your entire deck, play Thassa's Oracle or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and win the game.

Opposing Commander Match-Ups

Opposing Match-Ups is interesting. It is a little hard to have a lot of different matches as the current situation makes it more difficult to play in person. Nonetheless; I do have some match-ups that we can talk about.

Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - This is one of my best friends deck. He ramps hard into Golos and then sets up his top 3 to win the game. His deck is very streamlined while having a very high mana curve, consistently casting Expropriate, Worst Fears, and the various Ultimatums. Our main strategy is to slow him down. He runs very few counterspells in the deck to optimize the most value out of the Golos activation. This leaves the big spells open to be countered. It is always best to deny him resources, a Back to Basics destroys his deck. Removing or not allowing Golos to resolve is the easiest way to stay ahead.

Kenrith, the Returned King - Pillow fort/stax. This is surprisingly an easier matchup. He slows the table down and helps us out tremendously. We want the slower game, but always make sure we can cast multiple cards in a turn. If we are limited to a single card, our gameplan gets slowed down.

Muldrotha, the Gravetide - Sacrifice/destruction. Probably one of our worst match-ups outside of fast aggro decks. While we generate insane value through our creatures, we want them to remain on the board as long as possible. We do not want to be trading our creatures in combat, and Thassa can be killed through sacrifice. We are heavy in counters but against a re-animator strategy, our deck falls short.

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death - a surprisingly good match-up for an aggro deck. Most of our creature bodies are bigger, and in a pinch we can manifest unneeded cards face down as blockers. We can very easily take a few early hits to allow our board state to develop later. Our commander can handle 1v1 fights until a trampler gets on board. Grind out your advantage, and keep track of your life. It is better to lose a little life as we press our advantage.

Credit & Thanks

I would like to give thanks to my friends for allowing me to test cards before buying them. Providing some suggestions and showing me some new cards.

Thanks to EDHrec, the first iteration was possible. A lot of bulk cards fit wonderfully into this archetype, and it is hard to know every card.

A special thanks to my friend Russell for showing me Scroll of Fate. It really did tie everything together and speed up the deck.

Change Log

Changelog Date
Show
Hide
08/14/2020

- Maze of Ith
- Diluvian Primordial
- Memnarch
+ Sunscorched Desert
+ Urza, Lord High Artificer
+ Watcher for Tomorrow

Massive update 10/06/2020
Lands:
- 2 Islands
- Maze of Ith
- Riptide Labatory
- Tower of the Magistrate
+ Academy Ruins
+ Fabled Passage
+ Prismatic Vista
+ Sunscorched Dessert

Enchantments:
- Omniscience
- Future Sight
+ Back to Basics
+ Copy Artifact

Artifacts:
- Scroll of Fate
- Thought Vessel
+ Basalt Monolith
+ Rings of Brighthearth
+ Teferi's Puzzle Box

Sorceries:
- Flood of Tears
- See the Truth
+ Fabricate

Planeswalkers:
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Creatures:
- Blightsteel Collusus
- Diluvian Primordal
- Gadwick, the Wizened
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
+ God-Eternal Kefnet
+ Watcher for Tomorrow

Instants:
- Anticipate
+ Chain of Vapor
+ Fierce Gaurdianship
+ Negate
+ Pongify
+ Unsubstantiate
Last edited by UnNamed1 3 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

My experience with Thassa was that she was pretty hard to build weakly if you follow her signs at all (play a lot of creatures). I don't think she is possible to play competitively very well because she really wants you to jam a lot of creatures and CEDH has a kinda benchmark "run 20 spells, 10 ramp staples and 15 goodstuff staples or lose" which means you've got at most 25 flex slots and in monoblue a large portion of those need to be more goodstuff.

Cards like Rhystic Study Mystic Remora and Verity Circle are CEDH staples that you basically have to play but that are really bad with Thassa.

That said, I do think you can get a 7-8/10 deck with her that's very strong but doesn't have to run all that goodstuff. You do need a critical mass of good interactive spells, but you can really do without all the CEDH goodstuff pile of enchantments imho.

The best wincondition for Thassa for that power level is (in my opinion) extra turn spells. It's *so* easy to win with extra turns and Thassa and an Archaeomancer effect. It really only takes 5 mana to go off in your combo turn and you can set up the Archaeomancer beforehand sometimes (depending on how slow they are).

I did however find Palinchron to be worth it on its own; it would regularly win the game just with Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx.

The nice part about being at that power level is you can play more expensive counterspells like Cryptic Command and Mystic Confluence which are both absurdly good with Thassa (protecting your ETB dudes and sometimes being an infinite mana outlet).

A few notable things I see missing from your list that I would definitely play even in this build:
My list is really derpy and meant for 6/10 or so for online play, but you might like some of it:
https://deckbox.org/sets/2630246

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

I think @pokken touches on the easiest way to win with Thassa: infinite turns with an Archaeomancer effect. And I think his suggestions are solid. I've been recently enjoying Spellseeker in my Kalamax list so that I can find Merchant Scroll to start Nexus of Fate loops.

Additionally, I think that you can include some lower CMC creatures with ETB abilities a la Sea Gate Oracle and the most fearsome Legend of all Fblthp, the Lost. The idea is that you want to have as many opportunities to build a board state so that when you cast Thassa you can generate immediate value.

Now, I'm a cEDH kind of guy myself, so I think that including a Stax package is ok. Since Thassa builds incremental value over the spread of many turns, I think it's useful to find effects that slow the game down so that you can build that value train. Winter Orb, Back to Basics, Rising Waters, and similar cards seem pretty good to me in slowing the table down to your level and then allow Thassa to take over the game. In fact, you can create Stasis locks with Thassa and any one of the untapper creatures that WOTC made the mistake of printing.

So, if I were to build a list, something that would be High-Powered but not quite cEDH level and building off the list that you posted, I think I would start with something like this:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander

Stax Pieces (4)

Approximate Total Cost:

The deck runs infinite mana combos, infinite turns, infinite draw, and has 20+ creatures that you can spam with Thassa. Azami is in the list because the majority of the creatures are Wizards and she has good synergy with Thassa. Ugin, the Ineffable is a Card Advantage machine with Thassa while also being a Removal spell when needed. Winter Orb is easily tutored for and Rising Waters is very thematic for Thassa. Remember that Thassa only cares that you control the creature, not who owns it, so Vedalken Shackles and Sower of Temptation can help you get ETB effects outside of Blue's color wheel. Hope this helps!

UnNamed1

@pokken I do agree that is hard to build weakly. Unfortunately, she isn't quite to the level of cEDH either. As long as you focus on ETB effects, she will be strong in general. My previous iteration of Thassa included a lot of your suggestions, A few things, Copy Artifact did make it into my paper list, and I do like Sower of Temptation. However, Sower does only target creatures, and my meta isn't super creature heavy. I do need to pick up a Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, This is the first I'm actually putting money into Thassa.

@benjameenbear I do know Thassa is easiest with Turns, but I am also mindful of the table. There is a touch of turns, to propel me ahead, but not enough to the point that no one wants to play with the deck. Stax is definitely ok, I just don't like playing it. I had a few people hard target me for playing my fun Urza build, to the point I wasn't able to play. I built the deck full stax in response and didn't enjoy the deck anymore. Sure it won games and won them consistently, but stax is just not my style. Vedalken Shackles is a card I kind of forgot about. I know it is super strong in Thassa and should probably pick up a copy.

So to conclude here, I think I will add in Watcher for Tomorrow. It fits the theme of what I am trying to do and how I am trying to do it. Sower is too slow and only creature based. Trinket Mage also found his way back in, getting most of my mana rocks is just too strong to take out.

I still have a lot of writing left to do, as I finish sections they will become available. Also, formatting.

UnNamed1

Full write up is done! I will definitely need to go back and fix some formatting, and will go more in-depth most likely as the deck changes.

Archaeomancer is being considered again. The value provided is just too good, even at 4cmc. Plus this will allow me to target turn spells, bringing back infinite turns into the mix.

@benjameenbear If you don't mind I would like to include your list as an alternate list. Your strategy is slightly different and I can go in-depth about the differences.

While this list is a lot of fun to play, some changes will definitely be made towards competitive, as that is more my play style. I also revamped my paper collection, resulting in a lot of deck teardowns, breaking apart a lot of my major decks.

Finally, my apologies for the long time to finish this list, life is a crazy thing. I would like to submit this as a primer if I can figure out how to. Any and all help is appreciated! Everyone, have a great weekend and hopefully take home some wins if you are able to play locally.

benjameenbear

No worries. Feel free to include my theory-craft list as an alternate list! I'm flattered that you would, frankly.

The process to submit a Primer is fairly simple, methinks. Check out the link here for the guidelines on how to submit the Primer and the general expectations we have on the Primer Committee.

It looks good and I look forward to reviewing it with my comrades!

MashedPotato
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MashedPotato » 3 years ago

Quite a nice strong casual list I must say, as per your original post.
I do have 95% of the list you have provided and might give it a crack this weekend in paper with my partner (who plays krenko and my kess deck) although my current Thassa deck runs quite a few Clone like cards including the standard Duplicant and Spark Double, I find the utility those offer are amazing especially with the mill package I run for my meta to copy the card draw engines in the deck (opposing cmdrs includes the likes of Grenzo, Dungeon Warden & Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma )

I quite like the Sunscorched Desert combo which I have overlooked instead opting for the mill package as mentioned, which I prefer for the pure reason of what I play against, and with the blink this deck offers, card draw is often something stuck onto the cards, so i utilise something there to take someone down down with me. It seems like a local meta directed deck, which I don't mind but certainly offers some alternatives I haven't considered.

If i may make a suggestion / question, seems no Academy Ruins is there a reason? With the artifacts in the deck, they seem to impact how effective the deck works. Not trying to be to critical, but it seems like a solid side / upgrade for a basic if need be without increasing from casual power level to much. I know Thassa is one that can go any number of ways using the blink effect, but I'm actually quite excited since seeing this deck to rip her out again and get some game time in with her.

But props on the list, seems damn good nonetheless and I know Thassa is a fairly linear commander to work with even despite the variations you can make to her

*deck doesn't appear to be to pricey imo, but as i always convince my partner, these cards work in a few decks anyway if i have to justify the costs I can swap them into something else and there is plenty of alternatives for the pricier cards if need be, not to the same power but certainly saves a good chunk of change if need be*
There is always a greater power

UnNamed1

MashedPotato wrote:
3 years ago
Quite a nice strong casual list I must say, as per your original post.
I do have 95% of the list you have provided and might give it a crack this weekend in paper with my partner (who plays krenko and my kess deck) although my current Thassa deck runs quite a few Clone like cards including the standard Duplicant and Spark Double, I find the utility those offer are amazing especially with the mill package I run for my meta to copy the card draw engines in the deck (opposing cmdrs includes the likes of Grenzo, Dungeon Warden & Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma )

I quite like the Sunscorched Desert combo which I have overlooked instead opting for the mill package as mentioned, which I prefer for the pure reason of what I play against, and with the blink this deck offers, card draw is often something stuck onto the cards, so i utilise something there to take someone down down with me. It seems like a local meta directed deck, which I don't mind but certainly offers some alternatives I haven't considered.

If i may make a suggestion / question, seems no Academy Ruins is there a reason? With the artifacts in the deck, they seem to impact how effective the deck works. Not trying to be to critical, but it seems like a solid side / upgrade for a basic if need be without increasing from casual power level to much. I know Thassa is one that can go any number of ways using the blink effect, but I'm actually quite excited since seeing this deck to rip her out again and get some game time in with her.

But props on the list, seems damn good nonetheless and I know Thassa is a fairly linear commander to work with even despite the variations you can make to her

*deck doesn't appear to be to pricey imo, but as i always convince my partner, these cards work in a few decks anyway if i have to justify the costs I can swap them into something else and there is plenty of alternatives for the pricier cards if need be, not to the same power but certainly saves a good chunk of change if need be*
Thank you for reading it! I appreciate the feedback. I hope you do play it and enjoy it. Sunschorched Desert is very overlooked, its just a common land that is terrible in any other strategy.

So this might be a little embarrassing but I was running Academy Ruins in my Elsha deck and completely forgot it existed when making this deck. Due to this, I'll be taking a Island out to make room for Ruins.

The main part of money is in the artifacts. Even then, most of it is just in the ramp. You can very much run a cheaper ramp package in a slower meta.

UnNamed1

Massive update here. The list has been evolving and MUCH has changed.

Lands: Overall dropping a single land. I was getting flooded a lot and this has been doing better.
- 2 Islands
- Maze of Ith
- Riptide Labatory
- Tower of the Magistrate
+ Academy Ruins
+ Fabled Passage
+ Prismatic Vista
+ Sunscorched Dessert

Enchantments: Omniscience really never did much for me. Maybe in a more casual setting it would be good, definitely lost its spot out to control and versitility. Future sight was used strictly for top combo. Dead draw beyond that.
- Omniscience
- Future Sight
+ Back to Basics
+ Copy Artifact

Artifacts: Since I cut some high end cards, scroll wasn't as useful. Most times it was a dead draw. Thought Vessel was useful, but the infinite mana works so much better. Puzzle Box and Ageless Insight can draw you your deck most of the time.
- Scroll of Fate
- Thought Vessel
+ Basalt Monolith
+ Rings of Brighthearth
+ Teferi's Puzzle Box

Sorceries: Not many changes here. Mostly just "quality of life" changes. Deck runs better like this.
- Flood of Tears
- See the Truth
+ Fabricate

Planeswalkers:
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Creatures: Cut the dead draws again. No need to play at instant speed with creatures, and Gadwick only helped on cast. Kefnet is a good blue value creature and WOW Watcher has put in the work. Definitely include Watcher if you plan to play something similar.
- Blightsteel Collusus
- Diluvian Primordal
- Gadwick, the Wizened
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
+ God-Eternal Kefnet
+ Watcher for Tomorrow

Instants:
- Anticipate
+ Chain of Vapor
+ Fierce Gaurdianship
+ Negate
+ Pongify
+ Unsubstantiate

So here you guys go. An overall update to how my paper list is now. Most of this is fine tuning as we go on, but I'm down to very few cards that I actually want to cut.

benjameenbear

I like it. Lowering the curve and adding more interaction is never a bad thing. Do you feel like you have enough ETB creatures at any given time? It feels like 12 is a little lite for the deck's strategy.

UnNamed1

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
I like it. Lowering the curve and adding more interaction is never a bad thing. Do you feel like you have enough ETB creatures at any given time? It feels like 12 is a little lite for the deck's strategy.
Lowering the curve has helped a ton. It might just be me, but I have found I only typically need one creature (like Watcher or Cavalier) to get the ball rolling. The deck functions to a point that abusing the ETB's has become a "win more" feeling.

I will say that there is one or two times out of ten that I do not find what I need to start rolling and those are definitely feel bad games. I will aggressively mulligan until I find an appropriate combination of cards that will start to get me ahead with interaction to protect my creatures. 12 is a little lite, but it is the absolute best 12 that I know of for the deck. Higher CMC's of things like Merchant of Secrets or Champion of Wits made me eventually cut them. It came down to playing a card like that or my commander for the turn and I would usually choose Thassa.

benjameenbear

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
Lowering the curve has helped a ton. It might just be me, but I have found I only typically need one creature (like Watcher or Cavalier) to get the ball rolling. The deck functions to a point that abusing the ETB's has become a "win more" feeling.

I will say that there is one or two times out of ten that I do not find what I need to start rolling and those are definitely feel bad games. I will aggressively mulligan until I find an appropriate combination of cards that will start to get me ahead with interaction to protect my creatures. 12 is a little lite, but it is the absolute best 12 that I know of for the deck. Higher CMC's of things like Merchant of Secrets or Champion of Wits made me eventually cut them. It came down to playing a card like that or my commander for the turn and I would usually choose Thassa.
Uh, you're not playing Fblthp, the Lost? Therefore, the bolded sentence is patently false. Patently, unequivocally, undeniably false :)

I think that Sea Gate Oracle is a decent include because it actually digs fairly deep, especially when combined with Thassa's trigger. That's one of the few creatures I'd recommend at this point since your curve is tight and the Control plan has increased significantly.

UnNamed1

In the 4 months since this has been updated, the list has undergone MAJOR changes once again. I realized that I had strayed from the original intent of the deck, and while it worked extremely well I was losing games that I shouldn't have. I buckled down and quietly made changes and I think I have the deck back where I want it to be, and Thassa is once again the powerhouse I always wanted.

Stay tuned for the revisions coming soon ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”