Volrath Proliferate

Noir
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Noir » 3 years ago

Hello everyone, I've wanted to build a sultai deck for a long time. Once Volrath the Shapestealer was shown in last year's commander decks I knew I wanted to brew with them eventually. That time is now! I know there are a few different ways people are using Volrath, be it shapeshifter/clone tribal but I want to focus on counters. Not counter magic but +1/+1, -1/-1 and infect counters. Proliferating away. My goal with the deck isn't to be super competitive or top tier and I know Atraxa fits a specific proliferate commander role so this deck will be more casual than that - of course if you can even put casual and infect in the same sentence :grin:

Here is what I have so far:
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Noir 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Tags:

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 3 years ago

I realize that our two Volrath decks are very different, but I think you should absolutely consider Bow of Nylea. It's a versatile value engine all on its own. Forgotten Ancient is another card worth a look and I'd definitely include Zameck Guildmage if you're considering it.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

Noir

Rorseph wrote:
3 years ago
I realize that our two Volrath decks are very different, but I think you should absolutely consider Bow of Nylea. It's a versatile value engine all on its own. Forgotten Ancient is another card worth a look and I'd definitely include Zameck Guildmage if you're considering it.
Oh yes Bow of Nylea I definitely need to add! Thanks for the rec on that and yea I have the ancient in the deck and I def looking to pick up the guildmage.

Noir

Some changes I've recently made:

In:
Glen Elendra Archmage (useful to counter with especially since I can move the wither counters to other permanents)
Slippery Bogle (cheap hexproofer for volrath to copy when in danger)
Bow of Nylea (managed to get a copy from a friend and going to try it out based on the suggestion above)
Blowfly Infestation (love the idea of -1/-1 counters infesting other creatures after their initial targets have died)
Crumblign Ashes (easy way to kill creatures inflicted with the -1/-1 counters of volrath etc)
Necroskitter (Probably the best wither creature for this deck and works well with the above two cards)
Inkmoth Nexus (No explanation needed really)

Out:
Cold-Eyed Selkie (may return in the future but I already have so much draw)
Counterspell (I really just hate using counter magic, I may re-evaluate if need be but Glen Elendra Archmage will be enough for me I think)
Putrefy (I have tons of removal already and focused my instate sweet on cards that can destroy any permanent not just creatures/artifacts)
Return of the Wildspeaker (I think it's too expensive for this deck, may re-evaluate eventually but I think card draw is plenty already)
Contentious Plan (cheap card draw and proliferate but I have plenty already)
Rishkar's Expertise (I really like this card but dont needed to make a cut)
Song of Freyalise (cut early doesn't do enough I feel)

Noir

Made a lot of changes since last time I updated this 4 months ago:

In
Glasspool Mimic
Grakmaw, Skyclave Ravager
Muldrotha, the Gravetide
Pir, Imaginative Rascal
Sakashima of the a Thousand Faces
Toothy, Imaginary Friend
Clearwater Pathway