Ephara, God of the Polis - Flash & Taxes

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

2021/07/14 - Hullbreacher banned!

I cut Hullbreacher for Sevinne's Reclamation which is a card I've always wanted to try that has a lot of synergy with Intuition which is one of the key engines of the deck. It ramps, it reanimates Altar of Dementia and allows you to get most of a combo online pretty easily. Lots of flexibility. Maybe too much graveyard exposure though.

Tags:

pokken

2021/07/27 - Solitude!

I cut Archon of Emeria for Solitude - this is likely incorrect, but I have not been loving that effect as much lately. It's really tedious to keep track of making sure people do all the things with it. I imagine I will put it back at some point. I'm thinking hard on some other things I'd like to run.

I did try out Sword of Hearth and Home in another deck and it reconfirmed my opinion that equipping and swinging with a SofX&Y is a risky proposition in this new high-removal meta. We'll see but I am not confident it's better than Eldrazi Displacer which is the only real thing it could replace.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

So I guess some of the question is what your goal from the Archon was. I was running some of these only cast one triggers in my Bruna list but I moved instead to taxation as I could still multi cast through it. I put a Damping Sphere in as an example because I wanted to punish people who were cantriping a bunch as well as stop infinite combos but I didn't technically need to dead stop on one cast a turn. It didn't matter as much that it wasn't on a creature to me and Archon wasn't a human / angel for me so it made sense to play around a bit with things.

I unfortunately haven't gotten to test a ton since then but I guess my point is that it might depend a little on what your objectives for archon were. Its a little weird in that if you have good draw which Ephara tends to then Archon can be a bit of a weird card to run.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
So I guess some of the question is what your goal from the Archon was. I was running some of these only cast one triggers in my Bruna list but I moved instead to taxation as I could still multi cast through it. I put a Damping Sphere in as an example because I wanted to punish people who were cantriping a bunch as well as stop infinite combos but I didn't technically need to dead stop on one cast a turn. It didn't matter as much that it wasn't on a creature to me and Archon wasn't a human / angel for me so it made sense to play around a bit with things.

I unfortunately haven't gotten to test a ton since then but I guess my point is that it might depend a little on what your objectives for archon were. Its a little weird in that if you have good draw which Ephara tends to then Archon can be a bit of a weird card to run.
Ephara usually has stuff to do on each players turn so rule of law is asymmetrical for me (I cast four spells everyone else casts one) and it also prevents people from counter warring me. The rule of law guys have always been great.

That said archon specifically has had issues because I can't find it and people constantly chest the land effect on "accident."

I think it's probably still good in the deck. I'll probably put it back if I don't wind up transitioning to a counterspell suite instead of hate bears.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

That makes sense. It is really good with a more reactive draw / go style of playstyle for sure. Its always hard to remember other players rules even when trying to remember it. Having that card right in front of you really helps as a reminder.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
That makes sense. It is really good with a more reactive draw / go style of playstyle for sure. Its always hard to remember other players rules even when trying to remember it. Having that card right in front of you really helps as a reminder.
I'm pretty good about most static effects but people (other than me) rarely seem to announce their land plays often just breezing right through it. I noticed the same when playing sire of stagnation I just had to be on everyone like a hawk. Also with archaeomancers map actually. If I want my trigger I have to be on it making people announce stuff they aren't used to.

I started announcing my land drops back when I played gitrog and it just makes life a lot easier and less able to have confusion.

Still, the more of these effects you have the more headspace is required to kinda nice to just have a dumber card lol.

shermanido37

Post by shermanido37 » 2 years ago

Thalia, Heretic Cathar has been spectacular for me, and Archon of Emeria has a lot of similarities and some additional upside. You lose the ability to be Recruited, but a Rule of Law is much stronger in our deck than stopping hasters. Also we really like flying dudes that can chip in some damage. I am 100% certain that you should put the archon back - I personally run both Thalia and the Archon in my list.

Regarding tracking, I'm running Lavinia, Azorius Renegade in my list, which is an even bigger nightmare to keep track of. The helpful parts are that my opponents are good players and human beings, so they keep track of most things on the board - they usually remember that Lavinia exists, which does half my job for me. The other helpful part, though, is that my boards in this deck usually aren't allowed to be very wide, so I don't have a lot of static effects to keep track of.
Ultimately I'm trying to say that you should be on top of things with this deck anyway - it's not really a deck to play your turn and pass to wait for the next round. Hatebears are just one more thing to keep track of, and frankly I'd rather keep track of them than Chains of Mephistopheles or Humility like other stax decks.

At least Hullbreacher is one less game warping effect to keep track of.

pokken

shermanido37 wrote:
2 years ago
Thalia, Heretic Cathar has been spectacular for me, and Archon of Emeria has a lot of similarities and some additional upside. You lose the ability to be Recruited, but a Rule of Law is much stronger in our deck than stopping hasters. Also we really like flying dudes that can chip in some damage. I am 100% certain that you should put the archon back - I personally run both Thalia and the Archon in my list.

Regarding tracking, I'm running Lavinia, Azorius Renegade in my list, which is an even bigger nightmare to keep track of. The helpful parts are that my opponents are good players and human beings, so they keep track of most things on the board - they usually remember that Lavinia exists, which does half my job for me. The other helpful part, though, is that my boards in this deck usually aren't allowed to be very wide, so I don't have a lot of static effects to keep track of.
Ultimately I'm trying to say that you should be on top of things with this deck anyway - it's not really a deck to play your turn and pass to wait for the next round. Hatebears are just one more thing to keep track of, and frankly I'd rather keep track of them than Chains of Mephistopheles or Humility like other stax decks.

At least Hullbreacher is one less game warping effect to keep track of.
yeah, I am pretty sure archon comes back unless I pivot away from board-based control elements. I have been missing Hushbringer something fierce lately honestly, with there being a lot of Warstorm Surge type stuff in my meta, but I've gone a bit heavier on ETB elements since Recruiter of the Guard / Soulherder.

I need to get some more games in with the deck and see how it is in a post-hullbreacher world since that card had colored my last 10-15 games.

Blinking Solitude as a way to shut out random fattie decks does seem like something that's pretty realistic too, so looking forward to trying that.

pokken

I played this deck in a game this weekend. It was a bit of a nongame because everyone was tired and the mosquitoes were out for justice but it went well for me and did what the deck do.

It was vs my buddy playing my breena deck, kozilek tgd and a high powered chatterfang deck. I'd say ephara was slightly too strong for the table but not superbly overmatched. I just had kid of a nutter draw.

I kept a two landed with soulherder and knight of the white orchid and weathered wayfarer playing first which was silly I shoulda made someone else go first. Still it went alright. I topdecked a charming prince who got me my third land, and then blinked to dig more.

I wound up phantasmal imaging breena to draw like infinity cards on then four then drew a jeweled lotus and cast ephara. Man that card is good. Chatterfang ramped And so I was able to white orchid for 1, then I drew even more cards with breena. Unfortunately lost my soulherder and charming prince to settle the wreckage from breena which I was alright with.

I discarded agent of treachery to hand size, kozilek cast himself, I body doubled agent and he couldn't stop it, and my constantly full hand with breena lead breena to scoop to mosquitoes and humidity, then everyone else scooped to the impending epehemerating of agent.

Agent of treachery is and always will be bananas.

Deck is humming but possibly too strong, so I may need to make a depowered version. I kind 9f want to do one with my breena ramp package but I don't know if I have it in me to buy another lotus vale and scorched ruins. Bleh.

shermanido37

Lotus Vale and Scorched Ruins are great with cards like Knight of the White Orchid and Weathered Wayfarer and Tithe and Sevinne's Reclamation. However, they also feel like cards that really don't go well along with Field of the Dead and require land recursion to really be effective, and they are also a huge risk to be running in EDH where one effect that destroys a land can totally ruin your day.

I, again, recommend the "other 99" premise as a good start for a depowered version. No sol ring, signet, talisman etc. already poses a challenge for the deck, I'd even say just as much as losing staples like Recruiter of the Guard and Spellseeker and Soulherder and Nadir Kraken.

pokken

First card I've been fairly excited about with the new set; this actually creates a whole new class of potential infinite combos for Ephara, with things like:
Cloudseeder + any sac outlet + Whitemane Lion + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx generating infinite mana as just an example.

There're a few with Phantasmal Image as well I think.

With how well it plays with all the bounce creatures like Whitemane Lion and Kor Skyfisher and so on, there's a potential for an infinite with Phyrexian Altar and Oketra's Monument as well.

Pretty interesting card design that a lot of Ephara decks are going to want just as Goodstuff. A ton of the powerhouse cards in our deck are at 2 CMC. Stuff like Gilded Drake and Drannith Magistrate and Charming Prince. And there are quite a few we aren't playing that play well with this card.

Also goes very nicely with Cloudstone Curio and Equilibrium effects.

Also a pretty darn good card, WW for a wrath is strong. Not 100% sure it fits, but it might be better than Supreme Verdict in lower powered metas (or even in my deck tbh, WW is cheaaaap).

shermanido37

I disagree with the take on the angel. Everything is good with infinite mana, the question is what's the floor. If the trigger were mana value 3 I'd probably have given it a go, and if it were a simple etb trigger it would have been the best. But it's none of those, so I rate the card rather poorly, especially for this deck.

The wipe, though, is clearly edh material. I still prefer Hour as a cheap way to kill all noncreatures, but it's making me reconsider Terminus, or perhaps another card.

I'd have thought you'd be ecstatic for the grave hate bears that are printed in this set... they are no Rest in Peace, but they are still powerful.

pokken

shermanido37 wrote:
2 years ago
I disagree with the take on the angel. Everything is good with infinite mana, the question is what's the floor. If the trigger were mana value 3 I'd probably have given it a go, and if it were a simple etb trigger it would have been the best. But it's none of those, so I rate the card rather poorly, especially for this deck.

The wipe, though, is clearly edh material. I still prefer Hour as a cheap way to kill all noncreatures, but it's making me reconsider Terminus, or perhaps another card.

I'd have thought you'd be ecstatic for the grave hate bears that are printed in this set... they are no Rest in Peace, but they are still powerful.
The grave hate bears are just not super good unfortunately.

The angel is a powerful card that also combos with other cards that are good - it's surely worth thinking about. Anything that recurs gilded drake repeatedly is. You can set up a game closing loop with angel drake white mane and a sac outlet. All good cards.

I definitely am on board with the wipe. Much stronger than terminus for the most part.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure you want Cathar Commando, no? Qasali Pridemage with flash seems like the sort of thing that's gonna go live in a bunch of decks. White's getting a lot of cards it should have already had in this set.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
I'm pretty sure you want Cathar Commando, no? Qasali Pridemage with flash seems like the sort of thing that's gonna go live in a bunch of decks. White's getting a lot of cards it should have already had in this set.
It is almost exactly what we want. I just posted my review of the set and this is one of the better cards for the list I think. Pokken has commented on it in the past, as have I, that we don't have a white Rec Sage. Well, this is just as good. Sure, we need to sac it so there are no blink shenanigans to be had, but Flash and being slightly cheaper to cast (same cost overall of course) means I think it is a great card for the deck.

pokken

I wish that it exiled, but it's very good. A flash artifact/enchantment killer. It's a shame we can't lark it, but we can reuse it in a few ways.

It's real good with Emeria, the Sky Ruin :)

pokken

Just a shotgun set review:

flash qasali pridemage is an autoinclude., especially with 3 power.

Actually very strong, puts a lot of power on the table,g ood blocker, makes a ton of bros. AS the primer says, anything that makes tokens for free deserves a look. At 1WW that's a lot of gas.

I'll probably play this card a lot but not sure in this deck. I just do not like destroy effects that much for creatures.

Has a lot of applications. It's just mostly an additional bad copy of Stonecloaker but I could see that being a fun theme.

This is a very powerful wincondition. Pumping itself and having lifelink, being recruiterable, costing 1W and being able to benefit from being recurred is very nice.

Been discussed, I am going to get one.

Very powerful card, not quite an autoinclude, but something I would consider playing in an alternate version that was more focused on cheaper dudes. Does play very nicely with our new pridemage:p

Anything that strongly synergizes with Gilded Drake and Phantasmal Image worth a serious look.

Pretty powerful card, probably not for my deck but could really see a build that used this a lot.

So this card is great, not super much in my build but in a build with a higher instant/sorcery ratio you could use cards like this guy and Monastery Mentor to reall7y go nuts on instants/sorceries.

This one is kinda deceptively powerful I think. It's got flash and it can do quite a lot, and you can blink it to repeatedly phase stuff out, which has a lot going for it.

The low mana cost and built in flash makes it really worth thinking about.

Surely playable in a casual build. No room for me sadly.

* Editorial notes *

I could really do without the constant +1/+1 counter stuff. sheesh

pokken

2021-10-05 update

Mostly just a little housekeeping.

CUTS
chrome mox - this has been *fine* just not that fun to play.
keeper of the accord - this has been actively awful for some reason. I always have too may creatures and the percentage of the time it is worse than Kor Cartographer is disturbing. What's nuts about this is that in my Breena deck where I run the Lotus Vale package, this card is *insane* often ramping me 5+ in a game.

ADDS
Cathar Commando - I want to lean up my curve a little and this card really helps, cutting a 4 drop and adding a 2 with flash.
Loyal Warhound - not sure this is the perfect ramp spell for this deck but it's a pretty reasonable amount of pressure for people with no blockers, and it ramps on occasion.

shermanido37

I'm running a Lotus Field + Kjeldoran Outpost + Azorius Chancery etc. package, which makes all of Land Tax, Knight of the White Orchid, Weathered Wayfarer, Tithe etc. work well. Keeper goes along the same lines.
My creatures usually die in some sort of fashion, so Keeper is relatively consistent in netting me cards. Otherwise it would definitely be a problem.

I like Loyal Warhound, but I can't see myself running it while I have Knight in deck. Knight's body is much more relevant, so I've found it to be worth its cost even without a land, not to mention the land you get with it is much better than Hound. Overall it's great to have, but I don't see it making the list of a more optimized deck.

Cathar Commando is tailor made for our deck. The card is awesome and will definitely be going in. I'd have preferred it to destroy ETB for blink synergy, but it's still quite good.

pokken

shermanido37 wrote:
2 years ago
I'm running a Lotus Field + Kjeldoran Outpost + Azorius Chancery etc. package, which makes all of Land Tax, Knight of the White Orchid, Weathered Wayfarer, Tithe etc. work well. Keeper goes along the same lines.
My creatures usually die in some sort of fashion, so Keeper is relatively consistent in netting me cards. Otherwise it would definitely be a problem.

I like Loyal Warhound, but I can't see myself running it while I have Knight in deck. Knight's body is much more relevant, so I've found it to be worth its cost even without a land, not to mention the land you get with it is much better than Hound. Overall it's great to have, but I don't see it making the list of a more optimized deck.

Cathar Commando is tailor made for our deck. The card is awesome and will definitely be going in. I'd have preferred it to destroy ETB for blink synergy, but it's still quite good.
I run a Lotus Field / Lotus Vale / Scorched Ruins manabase in Breena, an it has made stuff like Scholarship Sponsor and Keeper of the Accord absolutely bananas good. I'm not sure I have time for that in how fast my Ephara is, but I might try it at some point.

I think Warhound is definitely worse than knight, but we would like to draw one them in the early game and we're not tutoring for either so I don't think they are mutually exclusive; my expectation is I might just swap Warhound with Azorius signet again, or even with whatever the next attempt they make at giving white a ramp card :P

I'm definitely not optimizing entirely anymore -- I'm kinda torn between powering Ephara down very slightly and between making a second build I can play more. My group right now is a bit tired of Ephara spanking them. I even had complaints from the CEDH powered Yuriko deck along the lines of "there's basically nothing I can do to stop you once the game gets past a certain point." Which is part of what I'm going for, honestly, creating lots of endgame inevitability and plenty of interaction.

The problem is I'm not 100% sure I can make an Ephara that doesn't basically lock down the board at some point, and I'm not really down with giving up Agent of Treachery when my opponents are playing crap like Old Gnawbone and Omnath, Locus of Rage and whatever.

One thing I am definitely thinking on is moving to a Devastating Mastery build has multiple full-board sweepers, since the pendulum has swung so hard back toward permanents in my meta, and part of that means trying to steer toward land ramp strategies. Signets and stuff are real bad if you just use them as crappy rituals.

It's a bit frustrating that people don't seem to have any time for sweepers anymore; I get it, not every game needs to be a slog, but people are very impatient and mostly seem to just want to race. Seen a lot of people just check out when the second sweeper gets played over the last couple years.

I'm on the bandwagon of cutting back sweepers mostly but man some of the way stuff is being built these days just does not have a counter other than sweepers.

pokken

Very minor update today

2021-10-14 Update - Minor manabase tweaks

I am slowly trying to tune my deck a little toward creatures again and the new Ornithopter of Paradise gives us some fixing assistance without pinging us, that can late game be a flying blocker or a creature to trigger Ephara. I think it's likely *slightly* worse since it takes away a colorless source, but I am getting very close to cutting Eldrazi Displacer anyway, so willing to take that risk.

CUT
Talisman of Progress

ADD
Ornithopter of Paradise

Just a little more editorial thought about this:
Adding Ornithopter of Paradise makes me think a lot about how Loyal Warhound can only get basic plains, so it doesn't fix my mana. I wish they would stop that. And I think I might wind up cutting Warhound at some point, we'll have to see how good the body is. It is nice that I can blink it to catch up and also another way to help fuel Emeria I guess.

I hope they add some more takes on this - a second and third Knight of the White Orchid would probably be great.

pokken

Just a little more minor juggling

2021-10-19 Update - Minor mana tweaks and Displacer displaced

I've been wanting to cut Eldrazi displacer for a very long time because it just causes so much awkwardness. Sometimes it's amazing but it strains the manabase a lot. And I really want to try Serra's Emissary. So there it is. Loyal Warhound is just...not good. I also want more basics to support Mystic Sanctuary and Emeria, the Sky Ruin so that's nice too.

Cuts Adds Expedition Map is a card I've been thinking about for a long time. It's not ridiculously flashy but it represents:
1) Endgame zombie making with Field of the Dead
2) endgame Emeria, the Sky Ruin shenanigans
3) Mystic Sanctuary
4) Finding a fetchland when I need one
5) Endgame mana with Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

I think it should have been my first thought for replacing Chrome Mox tbh.

shermanido37

I'd replace Map with Flood Plain. All the goodness of FotD shenanigans, plus fetching plains for Emeria, but it also fetches Sanctuary. Instead of getting a fetch and investing mana into it, it's a fetch in itself. It can't be Nykthos synergy, but honestly I really think that card can be overkill sometimes. I don't recall using it once.

Ornithopter of Paradise is a stellar casual card. But again, as soon as you want to be doing more important things it very easily finds its way out. I don't even think it will find its way into my low powered list.

Eldrazi Displacer is still in my high-powered list, and while it's beginning to show its age, I don't think it'll go out anytime soon. Kill tokens, combo with Containment Priest, tap down attackers, on top of regular blink shenanigans. It's never a dead card, it's never not a threat - unless I have no mana, and even in that case, any other cards it contests with are still dead.

pokken

shermanido37 wrote:
2 years ago
I'd replace Map with Flood Plain. All the goodness of FotD shenanigans, plus fetching plains for Emeria, but it also fetches Sanctuary. Instead of getting a fetch and investing mana into it, it's a fetch in itself. It can't be Nykthos synergy, but honestly I really think that card can be overkill sometimes. I don't recall using it once.

Ornithopter of Paradise is a stellar casual card. But again, as soon as you want to be doing more important things it very easily finds its way out. I don't even think it will find its way into my low powered list.

Eldrazi Displacer is still in my high-powered list, and while it's beginning to show its age, I don't think it'll go out anytime soon. Kill tokens, combo with Containment Priest, tap down attackers, on top of regular blink shenanigans. It's never a dead card, it's never not a threat - unless I have no mana, and even in that case, any other cards it contests with are still dead.
Flood Plain - it enters tapped. yuck. It also doesn't find field or emeria. People have literally pointed Vindicate at Field of the Dead because they're so scared of it.

I disagree on Ornithopter - Silver Myr was really good in this deck, with not tapping for W being its main problem. Ornithopter is a flying blocker that taps for either color. I think it's borderline includable in a high powered list simply because of how highly Ephara values creatures. Not CEDH of course. The number of creatures that consistently curve you into turn 3 Ephara is pretty low (basically the 2 mana myrs and they struggle with mana). I'll letcha know how it goes, as obviously it's a lot better in a deck with more pump effects.

Eldrazi Displacer has really been problematic for me as I tuned my manabase. At 38 lands I had plenty of room for extra derpy colored lands. With 35, the pressure to both find colorless lands and enable Mystic Sanctuary and Emeria, the Sky Ruin is just too much. I can't argue with its power though. I've combo'd with other people's cards more than once because of Displacer+Faerie Artisans.

The places where it's dead but Serra's Emissary isn't are
(1) I am choked on colorless mana
(2) I am facing down a Warstorm Surge effect or Blood Artist.

This deck's two greatest weaknesses are Blood Artist and Warstorm Surge. While it doesn't stop Zulaport Cutthroat it does stop enough aristocrats effects to help buy us a little time. :)

pokken

Had my first game with this deck in a while; I got rolled by a combination of Volo, Guide to Monsters , Beledros Witherbloom combo, and The Ur-Dragon. I had a lot going on but I didn't have a good creature opening game and my Ephemerate + Venser, Shaper Savant engine got shut down by Volo and Scion kinda tagteaming it a bit. I spent a lot of time trying to stop Beledros from comboing, and didn't have great luck with my Sensei's Divining Top spins.

Definitely the first game in a while where I had Whitemane Lion attempted to be killed multiple times, and 3 of my spells countered.

Overall the deck did pretty well, just a combination of some bad beats and such. Realistically I felt very short on countermagic for volo who was just loaded for bear with card draw effects. I needed to find a sweeper and didn't find one.

Part of it's definitely my being out of practice, so I'm intending to play Ephara a bit more for a while especially as people are upping the ante power level wise. Volo and Ur Dragon are both pretty over the top powerwise so I don't need to feel as bad I don't think :)

I am starting to think the deck might be ready to add Devastating Mastery as an additional out, and also adding Arcane Denial.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”